Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of flavors of the new Meow Mix Pouch food the other day and all 3 of my cats loved it ... both flavors were eaten to the last bite!!!

The ingredients sound pretty good to me and these pouches are certainly far cheaper than any of the "healthy" canned food I've tried ... which didn't interest my girls at all! I've seen many posts on here about the carbs being the problem in cat food ... as far as I can tell, these don't have any added carbs at all (except for some wheat gluten in the mackerel flavor).

What do you think? Healthy choice or not? Good choice for every day?

Hook, Line and Sinker (red snapper & ocean fish in sauces) has the following listed ingredients: tuna, fish broth, sardine, tuna liver, red snapper, ocean fish, guar gum, vegetable oil, carrageenan, tricalcium phosphate, vitamins (long list of vitamins), and minerals (list of minerals), and sodium nitrite. Protein: 12% min. Fat: 1.8% min. Fiber: 1.5% max Moisture: 82%

Upstream Dream (salmon & crab in sauce) has the following listed ingredients: tuna, fish broth, sardine, tuna liver, salmon, crab ... all the other ingredients are the same as the above flavor. Nutrional analysis is the same except protein is 14% min.

Deep Sea Delight (mackerel in sauce) has the following listed ingredients: tuna, fish broth, mackerel, chicken, chicken liver, giblets (poultry liver and heart), wheat gluten, dried egg ... all the other ingredients are essentially the same as the other 2 flavors. In the nutritional analysis, it's the same as the first flavor except the fat is 2%.

I'd love to know what y'all think of it. Thanks for any input!

Deborah

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially because you seemed so excited about the prospect of this new food...but it's a terrible food.

If you notice on those labels they read something along the lines of
"Hook Line & Sinker with Tuna in Sauce"
Okay, it doesn't say exactly that - I'm sure I'm getting the flavors confused, it's been a while since I read the ingredients on these particular foods and there are quite a few flavors with each one being pretty different, but you get the idea.

The fact that the label is printed with the word "With" puts this food in the 3% rule. Which is horrible, horrible, horrible. What this means is that the first ingredient on the food, which I believe is Tuna (and Tuna isn't good for cats anyway) only has to be 3% of whats actually in that can. So, the most there is of anything in that food is the 3% Tuna (since Tuna is listed first on the ingredients) and then all the other junk they put in, like sugar and artificial flavorings and coloring, etc. makes up the rest of the can or in this case pouch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right ... that IS bad news! I guess I should have known it was junk since they gobbled it right up! Just like most real kids, I guess ... my girls like what's NOT good for them! :(

Thanks for your input ... back to label searching for something that's good for them that they'll actually eat! :)

Deborah

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Deborah,

This is completely off the subject, but I noticed where you were located. Good luck with the Frances situation, and you and your kitties be safe!!!!

katsprat

·
Registered
676 Posts
If your cats happen to like the pouched foods they might like the other types as well!

Keep your eyes out for other types of pouched foods like that. With OUT by-products etc, at least :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again all. Thanks Kat for your well-wishes also. We're fortunate to be in the western Florida panhandle so no rain for us thus far ... it's all a few hundred miles to our east. Hopefully, we'll still be lucky this upcoming weekend with Hurricane Ivan.

Deborah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts