Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it take after you get a new kitten for it to start being comfortable around you? I think my new guy is going to be very nervous because when I went to see him he kept trying to run away and hide under whatever he could get under.

How long does it take for them to get more courageous and venture out a bit??? And also, he is Siamese....so how long before he starts being vocal???? I adopted a Siamese 1 year old 7 years ago....and it took him no time to start "talking" to me. But a little nervous kitten.....I wonder how long it will take him to get comfortable.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maleke, it takes lots of time and patience for a kitten to get used to a new home. Just keep reassuring him/her and try giving him/her treats! I don't know much about Siamese, but I do know every cat/kitten is different, and this one may just not be as vocal. Remember, this kitten is scared, so it'll take time for him/her to adjust. Just be patient and give him/her lots of love and I'm sure he/she will start coming out of his/her shell in no time. >>>(

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I raised a few litters of Siamese, and it seemed to take them a bit longer to change "loyalty." My kittens made the adjustment in just a few days. It must be a shock to suddenly find yourself away from mother and littermates. But once they get to know you, I cannot think of a more loving cat. Once he starts talking to you, you might wish he wouldn't talk so much! :lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
So Siamese are the most vocal huh? Don't have my own yet, but I watched a friends 6 month old B&W domestic short hair and he seemed pretty vocal always looking at me and meowing - probably saying who the heck are you and where did you take me since he was at my place for a while.

I've been going to the pound lately and seems alotta kittens are always saying hi while the older cats don't speak up much - I'm assuming this is normal, or is it true that if they're vocal when younger they'll stay more so when they grow up?

I personally like it cause I'm single living alone and enjoy the company :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I like the "talking" too. I had a black domestic short hair who had some Siamese in her background who out-talked these two! In fact, after she died, I missed her talking and personality so much I bought the two Siamese. They have a distinctive voice and are very intelligent.

I was teasing about too much talking, of course! But it would be an unusual Siamese who did not communicate quite a bit. There may be a more vocal cat. I'm not really an expert on that, however. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my mom has an 8 year old Siamese who I grew up with. He is my absolute FAVOURITE cat. I LOVE how much he talks....it's like you can almost have a conversation with him!!! I just hope my new kitten is the same way....I keep thinking that for some weird reason maybe he's going to be a mute or a really mean cat! Hahahaha....even though the Siamese that I grew up with is the NICEST cat you will ever meet.....he wouldn't even hurt a fly!....well ok, maybe a fly. :lol:

I get my kitten in 2 weeks...and the time is going SO SLOW! He will be 10 weeks old when I get him. I can't wait!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Jeanie said:
I like the "talking" too. I had a black domestic short hair who had some Siamese in her background who out-talked these two! In fact, after she died, I missed her talking and personality so much I bought the two Siamese. They have a distinctive voice and are very intelligent.

I was teasing about too much talking, of course! But it would be an unusual Siamese who did not communicate quite a bit. There may be a more vocal cat. I'm not really an expert on that, however. :)
Interesting you would say that, Jeanie. Velvet, my black cat, is very vocal. My vet told me that all black cats have a little Siamese in their background. From what I have seen, I would have to believe it! :D

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
That's really interesting! :D I'm sure he's right, but Nibs, the one with the very "interesting" vocabulary, was the first black cat I had with all the characteristics of a Siamese. I'm a real fan of black cats. I had one as a child, and five since I got married! I'm sure a little wandered black kitten will find me again. They always do! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts