Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you all believe this happens?

I dont think i told the story when me and my mom both heard Max sigh?... nearly a year later. We were watching TV in her bed, both cats accounted for, already asleep.... quieter part in the show... i heard it. slowly looked at my mom to determine if she heard it, she slowly looked at me, which was when she asked me 'did you hear that?' so i said ' it hink so' and she asked me what did i hear, i said 'it sounds like Max sighing as he falls asleep at night', like he always used to, at the foot of her bed.

was that a message? totally random noise that we take to be a message?

we werent even particularly thinking of him at that moment either, we were just watching our show. hmmm....

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
No. People do not get messages sent to them via their dead pets.

The human subconscious is a powerful thing. It's the same when people "see" dead relatives. It's a dream, albeit a vivid and very realistic one.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I don't think it's Max. I think it's a demon attempting to make you think it's Max in a ploy to gain entry to our world.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I believe it's true. I call them postcards, and they are a comfort. Soon after my dog Doxis died this summer I thought I heard him scratching at the back door. It was probably my imagination, but you never know ;-)

·
Registered
514 Posts
The morning after Sumo passed away (which happened in our bed), I heard his little feet walk into the bedroom on the carpet (like I'd heard a million times over the years). Probably my imagination....

Then a couple days later, I was right on the verge of falling asleep in bed for the night, when I saw a very bright light in the hallway, then I saw Sumo walk into the light towards our bedroom. I immediately fell asleep and felt this weird sense of comfort.
Again, may have been my imagination/dream....but honestly it felt so real.

So yes, I do believe in messages.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I swear in the evening when the house is quiet I see Samantha out of the corner of my eye.
Whether these are shadows of memories I don't know, they are always in places where she used to be.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe it's possible, but I don't think messages like this happen all the time. And it's not easy to know if what you experienced was just your imagination or an actual message.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I believe it. It doesn't matter whether it's explainable by science or not - a visit or vision from a loved one recently passed is a real experience, it just comes via a different avenue than ordinary experience. If you have ever had this happen, you'll know what I mean. If not, maybe you will experience something someday that will be outside of explanation, and you will have a moment of recognition....

Fran

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Since you both heard it, then it can't be a dream or imagination. I've read about people who see or hear something unexplainable by science and they're more than one person, that makes it really hard to explain it away as imagining things. In my modest opinion, your cat was there and bored by the TV show, sighed and went to sleep.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I swear in the evening when the house is quiet I see Samantha out of the corner of my eye.
Whether these are shadows of memories I don't know, they are always in places where she used to be.
When I first moved in with my ex husband I kept seeing a cat out of the corner of my eye. I'd look and there wouldn't be anything there. I knew it wasn't Anthony because he is a ginger tabby and this cat was black and white.

This went on for a long time before I mentioned it and after I told him he hunted up a picture of his childhood cat, Gypsy. Sure enough, that was the cat I kept seeing.

Now that we're divorced, I've never seen her again.

·
Registered
469 Posts
When I first moved in with my ex husband I kept seeing a cat out of the corner of my eye. I'd look and there wouldn't be anything there. I knew it wasn't Anthony because he is a ginger tabby and this cat was black and white.

This went on for a long time before I mentioned it and after I told him he hunted up a picture of his childhood cat, Gypsy. Sure enough, that was the cat I kept seeing.

Now that we're divorced, I've never seen her again.
OK....that raised the hair on the back of my neck, but in a good way lol.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I believe it. It doesn't matter whether it's explainable by science or not - a visit or vision from a loved one recently passed is a real experience, it just comes via a different avenue than ordinary experience. If you have ever had this happen, you'll know what I mean. If not, maybe you will experience something someday that will be outside of explanation, and you will have a moment of recognition....

Fran

It is explainable. It's called the human mind.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
It's all explainable by science. There's enough known about psychology to know that your dead cat is NOT visiting you at night giving you lifestyle advice (or whatever). If you're hearing voices and seeing dead cats walking all the time and not just in dreams, I suspect you might have bigger issues.

As I said, the human subconcious is a VERY powerful thing.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The only detail science hasn't yet explained is why some people "with issues" ignore the fact that it was 2 people who saw/heard the same.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Subconcious is very powerful, by from 2 people at the same time - so 2 separate subconciouses- doing the same thing??? At the exact same moment?

·
Banned
50 Posts
The only detail science hasn't yet explained is why some people "with issues" ignore the fact that it was 2 people who saw/heard the same.
Let's address it than.

For one, we have to take the posters every word as inscrutably true. So you have problems objectively validating the truth of the statement right away. It wasnt taped, its just someone on the internets word.

Lets say they're telling the truth. The sound heard was a cat "sighing". Nothing else can sound like a cat sighing? Even a very specific cat sighing? A dish washer, a dryer a washing machine maybe? Could they have both been mistaken about what they both heard?

Consider they heard what they wanted to hear. There have been many times I thought I could feel Nikki walking around on my bed right beside me, even on my head pillow only to look over and find her across the room.

So either two human beings were mistaken about a sound that reminded them of dearly departed pet, or, a ghost cat from dimension X that there exists no evidence for are sending messages to select human beings. I say "select" human beings because if we are to accept the latter, we have to assume other people's cherished deceased pets simply no longer give a hoot about their former owners enough to send them a message. I guess my dead guinea pig, I loved with all my heart, no longer cares enough about me to send a postcard from...???

So one has to admit the former option is, literally, infinitely more likely than the latter.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Here's how I see it.... if it gives an owner some needed comfort that they heard/saw/felt their beloved and very missed pet then who am I to crap all over it.

I'm willing to accept there are some things in this universe I can't explain. :wink

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Here's how I see it.... if it gives an owner some needed comfort that they heard/saw/felt their beloved and very missed pet then who am I to crap all over it.

I'm willing to accept there are some things in this universe I can't explain. :wink
^^This. I don't understand it, but I don't need to. If it brings comfort to the mourning, then its a blessing. Why would you ruin that for someone who is hurting.

My only ghostly pet experience wasn't my pet. At my first vet job, the groomer left a dog under a dryer for too long and she died. It was a little border terrier named Jessie, I'll never forget. I found her. It was too late. For months afterward I would walk into an empty kennel, and hear her scratching at the door of the cage. Walked around to the cage she died in, and its empty, but I definitely heard the distinct sound of dog claws scratching at a cage door. This wasn't comforting to me, just intensely sad.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts