Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nine month old Persian named Bocelli and I'm not sure what to do about how incredibly messy he gets when he eats his wet food.
My other two cats eat wet food just fine without a trace of wet food left behind on them. But my Bocelli looks like he's painted his entire face and neck with it! I've been taking wet paper towels and cleaning him up as best as I can afterwards but he's starting to get impatient with that whole process.
I looked into the wipes meant just for cats but aside from them being super expensive, I was horrified to see that one brand boasts that they are made with tea tree oil! Isn't that toxic for cats?
This is a really big issue because I feed him wet three times a day.
I could afford the wipes if I didn't have so many other expenses involved with just him. He's on fort a flora for diarrhea, cosequin for his bladder, he was on B-12 shots and not to mention the expense of wet food for three cats. I had to give up the feliway because something had to go as you see all of these were monthly expenses aside from the food.
I have tried several feeding dishes and now I'm down to flat little plates.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
Lots of us here use unscented baby wipes, WAY less expensive and perfectly safe.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Any specific brand you like to use? I worry most about any residue being left behind because he does clean himself a lot so I worry about him ingesting any of it.
I just went through a major kidney scare but it turns out he is going to be okay, so now I worry about everything; or should I say over think everything!
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
I usually buy the store brand, same ingredient as name brand, but cheaper.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I too use store brand unscented baby wipes for my log haired ginger boy's bottom occasionally & never had any problem with him cleaning himself afterwards

or you could use a damp flannel which would cost you nothing at all & would be totally safe if using just warm water :)

or possibly get him a lil baby bib for when he eat's xxx

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My cats are neat eaters, but my dogs are messy (they have long hair).
I bought several packs of white washcloths from walmart. I put the used ones in a container, on the washer, until I have load worth doing.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Haha. I can sympathize. MowMOw doesn't get it on himself but everything in front off and on either side of the bowl gets splattered. I feed him on a large placemat most of the time and have to rinse it after every meal.

I agree with the unscented baby wipes. He may get less...exuberant... as he ages.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
because he does clean himself a lot so I worry about him ingesting any of it.Thank you!
i'm sure you've probably done this already since you're asking about cleaning him up yourself, but if he DOES clean himself a lot like you said, would it be possible he would take care of his dirty face himself if you just gave him enough time after his meal? or at least he can get most of it and then you can do the rest for him? maybe he'd start to do it a little faster himself once he realized how much better it feels. i dunno. just a stupid little question.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well in my quest to solve this problem I actually tried this and what happens is he then becomes very sticky and his hair gets clumpy and stiff, so I spend a longer amount of time trying to clean him off.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My cats are neat eaters, but my dogs are messy (they have long hair).
I bought several packs of white washcloths from walmart. I put the used ones in a container, on the washer, until I have load worth doing.
I tried this too, I bought the white cloths at walmart but he eats three times a day so the cloths were piling up quick! I needed a wet one and then one to dry.....ARGH!!!!!!! I was thinking there had to be something simpler...........
Thanks to everyone with their thoughts, I will be checking out the unscented baby wipes along with quite possibly a baby bib.......if I do that; I will surely have to post a picture of this!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
darn. good luck cleaning him up. i myself just use warm water on cotton balls when i need to clean up angel. in fact, just cleaned her little butt up, too, the other day because she had a few crusty "leftovers" right on her anus! I know - TMI! anyway, i distracted her with treats and she barely even noticed i was wiping her butt. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This made me laugh! I would need a whole bag of cotton balls to get the job done when he's finished a meal; he is something else! He's all boy! His face is flat so I know it's harder for him to get the food in his mouth. Not sure how he gets it down his neck; but he manages that quite well too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts