Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spirit 'always' comes out of the litterbox covered in his poo. He's white, so it stains also. So each time I have to throw him in the bathtub, get the kitty shampoo out and give him a bath. I know bathing isn't highly recommended, especially so often, but I don't know what to do! He has diahrea, as well as Peanut.. I have a vet appointment already made when I bring Teddy to get his checkup next week. They'll be dewormed and treated for ear mites then..

Anyway, off topic. Is there anything I can do so he doesn't keep getting the poo all over him? It takes him forever to dry after a bath, so when he gets back in the litterbox, he comes out with litter clumped everywhere!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
One thing you might try is putting less litter in the box so that the litter is not so close to his butt. Assumpta kept getting poopy pants after we switched to World's Best litter, and it was just that she was used to the litter not being so deep (also, with the finer-grained litter, she kept sinking into it)...so she was doing her usual squat, but her butt ended up practically planted in the litter and the poop would get stuck in her breeches (my husband likened it to squishing soft-serve ice cream into a cone too close to the nozzle...a bit graphic, but apt nonetheless :roll: ). Lowering the level of the litter solved the problem in our case, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
If his hair is a bit longer, have you tried clipping his hairs back there too? I have to do that with Twinkie or else sometimes he comes out with some poo on his butt :!:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Clay litter might be a better bet while he's getting over the diarrhea and learning about box habits. It's heavier so clings to their feet (and butt) a bit less. A possible compromise between clay and clumping is Dr. Elsey's. It has bigger grains but still clumps okay.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
118 Posts
drjean said:
Clay litter might be a better bet while he's getting over the diarrhea and learning about box habits. It's heavier so clings to their feet (and butt) a bit less. A possible compromise between clay and clumping is Dr. Elsey's. It has bigger grains but still clumps okay.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
What are you feeding him that he has diarrhea, though? If you fix that problem, the other may go away ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts