Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've just returned from a week and a half back home at my mom's place. On Sunday, one of the local ferals brought her baby to the front porch. At at least a month old, she's smaller than my hand--without my fingers splayed. She couldn't walk for falling over. She couldn't meow. Her eyes aren't very focused. She kept convulsing. I thought she was developmentally disabled. I took her from her mother and began caring for her myself. Each of these symptoms disappeared within two days of proper feed & care of her--given that, I think she was on death's doorstep, not disabled. She's a ball of fire, nothing can keep her down...such a sweetheart! She's running & attacking & nursing fine & piddling finally, if not pooping much. She's a lovebug to no end! At such a young age, she's all about physical affection and curled up under my chin and in my hand every time she slept. What a honey :) Sorry, but no pictures :(

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Momma-cat knew her baby was sick. :cry: Poor thing! Maybe she didn't have enough milk?

It's great the kitten is doing so well! :jump :thumb

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Some cats just know when/who to bring their needy kittens to.
I had a calico manx bring me her two juvenile kittens (ready to wean) in a rain storm. All three were brought inside for me to foster and went through the adoption process and found good homes.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I'm still recovering from my vacation. She had to stay with my mom, as my uncle would kill me for bringing the baby back--though I'd have killed to bring her back! She's a calico, the white/orange/black type. She's now 350 miles away from me, so I can't provide pictures no matter how dearly I want to. The momma was fine, she never even looked for her baby after I took her away. I assume the baby's ten times more healthy and rambunctious by now, though I've been busy and haven't called to check up on her yet. Honestly, I like living a fantasy that she's fine no matter what, so I'm afraid ot call anyway.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I made the call finally. I knew she wouldn't survive there...I don't know why I bothered asking. I'm so angry with myself. I know I couldn't take her here...I know I had no where else to take her...and I know that even had she lived, her life would have been difficult. So why is it so hard to forgive myself? To save her, I'd have had to give up my job & all my securities, to live in a place that's unlivable, 350 miles away. And we all know, as we choose tears, that we can't save them all. So why is it still so hard? Has anyone ever figured out why it's so hard? I know I could have saved her, had I been in a living position where I could have her with me--she responded well under my care. There's a thousand more kittens out there, a million more cats, that I could save...so why do the single lives still matter? Why can't one life just be substituted by saving another one later one? I'll never forgive myself for not finding some way to save her.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Trinity Quiet, sometimes we just don't have a choice. Don't beat yourself up. You are such a caring soul. You certainly did the best you could. If that little one was meant to live out her life she would have. You had said that even if she lived, her life would be difficult. There is nothing difficult about her life now, she is over the bridge happily playing with lots of other kitties.

·
Registered
533 Posts
So sorry. I know it hurts, we all know it hurts. Nothing makes sense sometimes, and words seem to not matter that much right now - but we DO care.

(((hug)))

1 - 12 of 12 Posts