Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. normally I read the paper,watch CNN,browse Yahoo news,but I must admit I'm kinda behind on the mid-east sitch. from the catching-up I've done,it looks like Russia in 90-91,all these countries deposing their present governments and reforming! Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Although, I would say, it's more North Africa rather than Middle East. Although obviously Bahrain is having to shoot a few miscreants as well :roll: Libya seem to have the edge in the "most hateful dictatorship" atm.

·
Banned
19 Posts
actually the best historical example of this was the mid 1800's when European countries were revolting against their Kings, Czars and abandoning Feudalism in the face of the Industrial Revolution. the same phenomenon is taking place with these Arab countries, fueled by economic hardship and enabled by telecommunications and social networking. ironically the place where such a revolution is needed the most is the not Arab country of North Korea, but without any communication freedom, those poor brainwashed souls have no hope of liberating themselves.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where's Iran in all this? I know some of their warships are headed for Syria. and Syria annexed Lebanon in 1990. And Israel sent troops into Lebanon a few years ago. and Iran is the former Persian Empire. And Iraq is...er...part of ancient Mesopotamia?

·
Banned
19 Posts
Iran is not as simple a story because it is the center of the Shi'a and Sunni rift between Moslem's, think Christians and Protestants on the British Islands. So the people in Iran do not want to revolt because they see their country as the last bastion of their Shi'a minority around the Moslem World and accept it's religious autocratic rule. Obviously, even what I just wrote over simplify matters, but it helps Westerners to see there are a lot more cross currents of politics and religion influencing the middle east than simply over throwing decades old tyrants now that we can all access and coordinate non violent protests using social networks on the internet.

·
Super Moderator
26,513 Posts
Hey! I found Waldo!!!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yo, Joey!! You know more about the ME than Sarah Palin and GWB combined just with the Sunni-Shia bit. Wanna be President?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Impressive, YS Cats! You've got a good eye Marie! ...wait isn't that him, kinda left of Basra?

I read somewhere that Iranians are into ipods,American movies,even the Oprah Winfrey network! A friend, born in Iran,said that on Tehran streets,sheep have the right-of-way. I don't know if he was serious or not.

·
Registered
117 Posts
think Christians and Protestants on the British Islands.
Um, Protestants are Christians too. It's Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland. And the casual comparison with Iran over-emphasises religious sectarianism and simplifies socio-economic and historical factors - as you are no doubt aware.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
It's the "great plan of God" at work. He promised us that peace will come.....and it will eventually; these are it's birthing pains.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Um, Protestants are Christians too. It's Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland. And the casual comparison with Iran over-emphasises religious sectarianism and simplifies socio-economic and historical factors - as you are no doubt aware.
Catnapped,

Please put your geographic location on your page so I can evaluate how worthwhile your opinions are.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Catnapped,

Please put your geographic location on your page so I can evaluate how worthwhile your opinions are.
Dave,
That would hardly constitute evaluation, that would merely be jumping to conclusions on the basis of where I happen to live. If you really care to 'evaluate' the worth of my opinions go do a little research.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
It's the "great plan of God" at work. He promised us that peace will come.....and it will eventually; these are it's birthing pains.
Which God? The Muslim one? Or the Christian one? Cos neither are doing too well atm. Come on God, get it sorted!

Catnapped,

lol... I'm guessing it's not the Isle of Wight.

Dave,
That would hardly constitute evaluation, that would merely be jumping to conclusions on the basis of where I happen to live. If you really care to 'evaluate' the worth of my opinions go do a little research.
hehehe nice answer.

To be honest I think the situation is far more complicated for most to understand. You seem to have a better grasp of things than some here though.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Dave,

Some people call it prejudice. I call it the result of a lifetime of experience.

Just like IBM's Watson I consider more than one thing in reaching an answer. Over time I could learn that you were born and educated in New England (assuming you're from the US) and that would improve my scoring of your value. But as Catnip can tell you, living in Ohio or much of 'fly-over country' is hard to overcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts