Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out that a friend of a friend of a friend has a cat that just had a litter of kittens, and they are going to need homes. We have been living in our apartment for a year, and the whole time I thought I was only allowed to have one cat(that is what the apartment's website says) but I called today and asked, and they said it was fine if we had 2! So i'm pretty sure we will end up with one of these kittens. I don't really know much about the situation, just that the kittens are 7 weeks old now. Hopefully it's not a bad situation, as my friend got a kitten from the same people a few months ago. Apparently this is a different cat that is pregnant, so I hope they don't have a ton of unaltered cats running around having babies. :-?

· Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you been to see them yet? Do you want a male, or a female? Do you know what colors they might be? Longer hair, short?

C'mon, Shan!!! I WANT DETAILS!
Well, i didnt seriously consider getting one until about 2 hours ago so it's still in the early stages.

I have always had a thing for male cats, but when I was younger I had a very sweet female who I loved very much too. I do like the idea of having 2 boys, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

I believe they are short hair, and I don't know what colors they are. I just sent my friend a text asking, hopefully she knows.

I guess I should go with some idea of what I want, because I am terrible at making decisions and I am sure that I am going to fall in love with all of them as soon as I see them :love2

I guess I can let myself get excited now!!! Banjo is wayyy too spoiled, so it's about time he had someone to share with :razz:

And Banjo is only about 8.5 months and the kitten will be 12 weeks so i'm sure it will be an easy intro.

I was going to wait until they are ready to go before I go and check them out, do you think I should see them first? I just know It won't be easy to leave without one :(

· Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ugh, i was afraid something like this would happen....

I just got the scoop, and apparently the kittens are 7 DAYS old, not 7 weeks. My freind got her cat from the same person at 7 weeks. I just told her that is way young to be taking them away from the mother. Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this situation???

· Registered
823 Posts
I go by a 12 week minimum. Period.

You're sure of yourself when it comes to cats. Let her know your opinion of when you think the right time is. Be bold about it. Removing a kitten too early has a life long effect.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
You will need to be diplomatic because people do get offended and it may result in you not getting a kitten from this person if you preach too much. You should probably go to visit the kittens and select one. This will also set the stage for you to be on friendlier terms with the owner.

I would volunteer to take the kitten in for its first set of shots around 7-8 weeks. This will do 2 things: 1) ensure your kitten is healthy, and 2) that there is a paper trail with this kitten under your name/care. You can also tell the owner that you would prefer if your kitten remained with the mom until 12 wks when it is due it's second set of shots. If it's a money issue, you can volunteer to pay a reasonable fee to house the kitten until this time, but at least, this way you are not telling this person they are doing the wrong thing. Yes, you may look overprotective and maybe even OCD in this person's eyes, but so what? You get a healthy and well socialized kitten in return. Just my 2 cents.

I also saw your other post. I would concentrate on getting "your kitten" first and then worry about convincing him to spay and neuter the rest. Once you set a friendly stage, he won't be as resistant to other suggestions.

· Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks dweamgoil. you're right. I am just sort of panicking because I really do want a kitten, but I don't want an unsocialized one, and I would like to inform him without insulting him. I am also very bad at hiding my emotions, so I need to prepare myself for talking to him. He may not know that what he is doing is wrong.

· Registered
7,452 Posts
Can you tell the person that you absolutely want a kitten but won't be ready for several more weeks? Maybe that will help you to avoid any sort of confrontation.

· Registered
179 Posts
Im so excited for you Shan! I am about to move into an apartment in May with my significant other and its a 5 1/2..Seeing as I cannot leave with the family pets and I can't live without cats. IM GETTING 2!! That way when I'm at work they will have each other. I already put a deposit on a norwegian forest cat. She is 2 weeks So I understand about the waiting he he he. I think it's worth it! this is her:

Now the NFC is mostly for Matthew because he likes the look of them. I on the other hand also have a thing for male cats, I find them more affectionate. I am in the process of getting a little Birman who is 3 weeks :) I'm THRILLED!!!!!!

Keep me updated about yours!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.