Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
He's been on Amoxicillin for over 10 days now. I have been feeding him EVO + KMR in a thick pancake mix like consistency with some added yogurt + L-lysine. He gets fed about 2-3 oz every 4 hours or so. He has had diarrhea for the duration of the antibiotics, which makes it seem as if whatever we are putting in him is coming right out. He is still very weak and skinny. He is a bit more steady overall, but he hasn't really gained any weight at all in almost 3 weeks. He is now about 10 weeks old.

I need to take him back to the Vet once his round of meds is over, but I am getting really worried. Will he make it? He still does not feed on his own. He has figured out when he is going to be fed and meows when it's time, which is a good sign, but he won't lap at the food even if it's right in front of him. I would hate to think that after all this work and emotional attachment, we will still need to put the little guy down :( . I can't see anyone taking him in if he can't feed on his own without being force fed. I am still not throwing in the towel, but I am really really worried here. If he doesn't make any progress in another month, I don't see how we can continue to take care of him like this indefinitely.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. I have no advice, having never dealt with a similar situation, but I do hope he starts to eat on his own soon and gains weight. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the two of you.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Awwww

If I could take him, I would. I'm home almost all day, and I certainly wouldn't mind syringe feeding a cat every few hours (well... if they don't fight it. Giving Paizly her meds ONCE a day is near impossible)

I hope things work out for you, either way!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
When I rescued the GoBoys a couple of years ago, they were about 5 weeks old, extremely skinny, and sick. Thankfully, they were already eating on their own, though their appetites were inconsistent, at best. Some days they'd eat great, and others they'd have to be syringe fed to get enough food into their systems. They developed diarrhea on a diet almost identical to the one you're feeding (except I used acidophilus instead of yogurt). One of my vet's techs suggested I swap water for the KMR because KMR will cause diarrhea in some kittens. The lactose in yogurt can also cause diarrhea, which is why I used acidophilus, instead. Still, removing KMR from their diet wasn't enough to resolve the diarrhea or make their appetites more consistent.

I intended to switch them to a raw diet when they got a little older, healthier, and stronger, but since they weren't thriving on their commercial diet, anyway, I decided to see what they'd do with raw meat when they were about 7 weeks old. MAN OH MAN, did that raw diet ever turn those boys around! You should have seen them the first time I put small, bite-sized pieces of raw chicken in front of them. They snatched up those meat pieces and started growling and protecting their "kills" like it was the first meal they'd ever eaten! Those vicious little carnivores SCARED me! LOL! They sure never went after their commercial diet like that. Within 24 hrs, their diarrhea was gone (and stayed gone), and I wasn't even having to cut up their meat any more. I was giving them mouse-sized chunks that they were tearing into and demolishing in no time flat! Watching those tiny babies eat raw meat absolutely affirmed for me the value of feeding a "species appropriate" diet to felines of any age.

You've got a little one who obviously isn't thriving on the very high quality commercial diet you're feeding now, and he certainly ought to be eating on his own at his age. You really don't have anything to lose by offering him some small pieces of raw meat and seeing what he does with them. I recommend starting with bite-sized pieces of dark meat chicken or turkey ... unless you can get your hands on game meat (venison, game birds, etc.) which has a much stronger aroma and taste. Don't start with beef; it's tougher to chew than any other meat, and your little guy may need to build up his jaw strength on easier meats first.

If he responds to raw meat the way the GoBoys did, you'll be amazed at how quickly he'll improve, strengthen, and grow on a raw diet. By the time they were your little guy's age, the GoBoys were each putting on nearly 1/2 lb a week.

At the very least, ditch the KMR and yogurt, and use water and a probiotic (acidophilus or other non-dairy probiotic), instead.

Good luck with Mikey.

Laurie

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
One thing I forgot to note about offering Mikey raw meat. In addition to cutting it into bite-sized pieces (initially, at least), it might help if you warm it up to "mouse body temp" first. You can do this by putting the meat pieces into a baggie and submerging it in hot water for a few minutes. That'll really bring out the aroma of the meat.

Don't underestimate the power of pure instinct to get Mikey eating on his own. He may be having a hard time getting excited about commercial canned food, but he'll KNOW what raw meat is for.

Laurie

·
Registered
124 Posts
Once you warm foods into the temperature danger zone (really, that's what it's called) of 41-135, with the worst of it being 70-125, pathogens grow rapidly. If you're going to warm the food, please make sure it gets eaten asap.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, Laurie...I will try it. I feed all my other cats raw primarily and they have been doing wonderfully. Sasha, who was a little thing when I first got him at around 11 weeks and was entirely flea infested now is about 6 months and 7 lbs of lean, glossy, and very rambunctious cat.

I am going to prep some meat for him tonight, but I will blend some ground chicken with water down at first for him and stop giving him the KMR and see how he does. I really do hope it works. He's such a cute little guy and my daughter is so protective of him since she's home mostly all day with him. I was almost tempted to stop the antibiotics, but I know he needs them.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I feed primarily raw to my cats, too, but I was hesitant to feed it to the starving, sickly, tiny GoBoys because I was afraid their little bodies wouldn't be able to handle it. I needn't have worried, though. As it turned out, it was exactly what they needed to thrive. It truly was remarkable and fascinating how savagely and instinctively they attacked raw meat, even at just 7 weeks of age. I can't remember now what meat I started them out on. It was either chicken or venison. I didn't grind it for them. I cut it into small pieces the first day, but after I saw how they went after it, I didn't even bother to do that. I just gave them large mouse-sized chunks and let them gnaw away on them. I did smash pieces of chicken neck for them, though, since I wasn't at all sure they could manage chicken neck bones on their own. After a few months, they refused to eat smashed bones any more. They wanted intact bones to crunch on.

Mikey might not recognize blended, ground chicken as "prey", so if he doesn't eat it on his own, still try larger, warmed pieces.

If Mikey's already been on amoxi for 10 days, he should be just about finished with that course of meds. Although amoxi is one of the least tummy upsetting antibiotics, it can still cause digestive upset in some felines. I'd keep him on a probiotic (not yogurt) for a few days after he completes the amoxi course.

I hope Mikey's carnivore instincts kick in when he catches the scent of real meat.

Laurie

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Hey, dweamgoil, where's that update you promised? How's Mikey doing? Did he take to raw meat? Inquiring minds want to know!

Laurie

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Don't like to but into someone else topic but Mikey's condition continued to decline and he's gone to the Rainbow Bridge, there's a new thread there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts