Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This poor cat just can't catch a break! So, over the last day, I noticed that he has lost some fur and now has bald patches around his face *sigh*. I will call Monday morning to see if they can squeeze him in on Monday night. It's probably ringworm...ugh!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I know how THAT feels. We thought we had it kicked too with Waffles, when he broke out with another patch on the back of his neck, and I got another near my left elbow. Since Waffles was 8 weeks last saturday, our vet opted to put him on Itraconozole. It's seeming to work well, and the spot is clearing up. I also bought some colloidal silver on line the other day, and hopefully that will work on any patches he (or I) may crop up with in the future (Though I hope it's going to be gone for good)

·
Registered
683 Posts
...with Itraconazole, it is going to be for good. You just have to be careful and take your kitty for blood tests to see how is he tolerating the drug, since this medication is very hepatotoxic -toxic for the liver. If you do regular tests and continue the treatment as it is prescribed, everything will be ok.

I'm sorry about Mikey...but it'll be ok. Ringworm is a pain in the neck, but it doesn't compromise the cat's general health (on early stages, of course). Just talk to the vet about the best course of action -maybe oral treatment is not for him yet.

Good luck, kisses for both Waffles and Mikey!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Does the bald patch get crusty? I would start with applyinng athlete's foot cream on the patch. Genertic over the counter is fine. Along with the colidal silver.

His immune system is probably shot. I would invist in Maitake DMG vitamins to boost his immune system. This is advice from my own vet when I had a bunch of foster kittens with ringworm. Luckily this is an easy fix and nothing to be worried about.

If you have healthy cats in your house they can be around him. If they have weak immune systems, then dont let them around him.

Mikey is too young for the oral med.

Maitake DMG - 3.8 ounces | Pet Supplies, Horse Supplies, Dog Supplies | KVsupply.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts