Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
It can cause diarrhea in a cat so it's best not to give them milk. If she can tolerate it, a little bit won't hurt but they now sell "cat milk" in pet stores which is lactose free and fortified with vitamins and that is a good substitute for the real thing.

My cats love it and my cat who has a problem with her bowls can tolerate the stuff.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I used to give my cats milk, because my mother always did. However, because the vets don't recommend it, I haven't given them milk for years. My cats seemed to tolerate it, but I won't take that chance now-unless it would be the milk Jessica mentioned.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
My understanding is most cats are lactose intolerant. Kind of ironic given how often giving milk to cats is referred to. Velvet will lick the milk up out of the cereal bowl in the morning and has never had a problem. She does seem to like it. I would never give her very much, however.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree, a lot of cowmilk can give your cat diarrhea, i give my kittens whiskas catmilk, the grown-up cats get water, but they also drink a little bit of whiskasmilk or what's left of it! My mother always gave her cats regular milk, but they're outdoor cats, so u can't tell if they have diarrhea or not.. they always looked ok!
But i prefer to give water to cats, in the wild u don't see a tiger sucking milk from a cow...so they're used to having water!
But that's my idea .. :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yah, milk can give cats diahrea. Although I've never had that problem before... But milk did help my old cat when she had her tail removed (LONG story...) and wouldn't have a BM. Vets say "NO", and I only give kitty milk that I don't drink.. and I hate milk! Only time I use milk is when I eat cereal... lol, so they don't get it often.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have had this problem with some cats, and others not, MOST cats are lactose intolerant however, this is just a fact. Cats drinking milk and eating tuna are just kind of like an old wives tail now, no one should really do it, but it's thought of frequently by new cat owners.

Humans are the only "animals" who drink milk on our own accord from another animal all of our lives, and even a lot of us, have problems with cows milk. Just shouldn't be done. :)

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Cats are known to be lactose intolerant but still one time Twinkie finished off my milk from the cereal bowl when I wasn't looking and ever since then, I sometimes give him a tablespoon of milk every few months. They like Whiskas milk too but I dont get it that often anymore. :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gibson drank a little bit of milk last night, then followed it up by water...he never seemed to have a problem with it before. But then about five mintues later he vomitted it back up. I was really worried but then afterwards he was back to normal. So I guess he will have to do with out the milk.

·
Registered
672 Posts
There is a such thing as too much cat milk though. Stix liked it so much I filled the bowl to the top and he drank it all. Little did I know he brought it back up on the kitchen floor a few minutes later, but then tried to lick it up again. Hes gross. There's my experience, haha :D[/b]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts