Cat Forum banner

Milk is it okay for adult cats

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Sol 
#1 ·
Is milk ok to feed adult cats someonesaid that they are lactose intoerant

is that true

#5 ·
I usually give Kitty a little milk or ice cream when she asks (usually when I'm having milk or ice cream). This usually equates to about...1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon a month. I have been giving it to her since before I knew it was bad for her. But since she never had any side effects and its such a tiny amount, I've always figured it won't hurt her in the long run.

#6 ·
If it's just a tablespoon a month, tigger's mom, I wouldn't worry about it. I am lactose intolerant, but I can still eat miniscule amounts of milk products without ill effects. I've also found that some ice creams (poor quality, generic ones) do not cause me any troubles at all. Of course, I wouldn't feed your kitty more than you do now because it will give him gas, bloating or diarrhea.

#9 ·
What about the powder milk for kittens? Is it ok?
The day after my Bimba got spayed, she did not want to eat anything, then I saw the powder milk that I bought in case of "emergencies" for the kittens, I prepared it and Bimba enjoied it, and gave her strenght :)

#12 ·
Boy, you're right about that, Bean. Cow's milk is not good for people either! Humans are the only species that consume milk after weaning; and the only species to drink milk from another species! I wonder what the dairy industry would be like if they used camels or wildebeast or dogs instead of cows! :roll: It's also a very cruel industry; these cows should live 20-25 years; now they're burned out and turned into Big Macs at 2-3 years of age.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

#13 ·
I disagree. Milk does a body good :D ! Humans are VERY different in most ways from other species that was God's purpose(sorry I completely throw out the silly evolution theory :lol: )My opinion. Their is Dairy Cattle and there is Beef cattle. Dairy cattle DO NOT end up as a fast food burger, Beef cattle do. (I think they are made of soy aren't they? :lol:
But all kidding aside I am a member of the American Angus Association and raise Black Angus. I have never raised cattle until 4 years ago. There is NOT a cruel bone in my body. I realized I am a better zookeeper than a farmer though. Can't get myself to sell them, my husband is okay with that and we have never eaten anyone of our cows. Fine for those that chose to. But I would certainly not begin to in anyway call these these farmers who are a small part of the beef industry, cruel. Our neighboring farmers, 50-200 head farms, during calving season they get up for several months straight, each night to check and watch and wait for their pregnant cows to give birth, each one, should a calf need to be pulled and they do cry when they can't save one, I have seen it. Grown men farming all there life and they still cry. Never before have I met a kinder, gentler more nurturing group of people, who love the soil, and LOVE animals. It is there LIFE, they have to love it they sure aren't getting rich out of it.They don't let them just go it alone in a field somewhere. I agree there is bad in all professions. Trust me if you have never been around farming ( I was a citygirl til 4 yrs ago) it would give you a whole different perspective. To make a a judgement say all Dr.s are bad, well now come on they have been responsible for some patience dying, what a cruel industry. I truly am not a big meat either, I perfer chix and fish, I wear leather shoes and I also believe that animals have saved the lifes of many HUMANS through their contribution in science. God created them, without souls and they are irriational creatures that God created for mans pleasure and enjoyment solely(I have ONE book that can support this completely) Perhaps when I took my name "CatAholic" I took the wrong name. I would hope to never resemble someone who is fanatic. I Love my cats but there are definitely more important things in my life then them. I have been blessed with them to love and they ARE Loved. Balance, not extremes.
Former City Slicker to Iowan Country Bumpkin, Thankful indeed! Susie
P.S. Could you be wearing any clothes that were made in sweatshops, now what?! Its a cruel industry, you know. :wink:

#15 ·
CatAholic said:
Forgot to mention this.... Cats DO drink milk if given it after being weaned and cats Do drink the species of bovines (cows) milk. So you see it is not just humans. Gonna have some with my cookies now :D
I must've missed something... but I went back and re-read... I can't find where anyone said cats won't drink milk if its offered. I just read that they shouldn't drink milk since they're lactose intolerant.

I do enjoy a tall glass of cold milk every day. Usually I have two. Still, I keep it away from Sabby because he doesn't have the ability to digest it. Lactose intolerance is very common in humans, too, mostly in countries where the local cuisine doesn't utilize cows milk. Although I read a report on msn.com a few months ago that said that the majority of Americans are at least somewhat lactose intolerant. Humans' ability to digest milk is actually a fairly new evolution. In all other mammals, we stop producing the enzyme to digest milk when we stop drinking our mothers' milk. And that's why most Americans are able to digest it with little to no discomfort while most of our friends in Asia cannot.

#16 ·
Makes sense! :D :) :D DrJean did write, (I can't figure out the quote thing yet :D ) That humans are the only species that "consume" milk after weaning. Only because we know how to open the refrigerator door. I was just saying that cat, dogs,etc would consume it if made available :) So humans aren't the only species. Just curious if Dr. Jean is a Vet for cats only. The Vets that practice around here are quite extensive in their training of small animals(dogs/cat,guinea pig,etc) as well as their knowledge & training does expand to large animals(cows,horses,etc) too.
Susie

#17 ·
CatAholic said:
I disagree. Milk does a body good :D ! Humans are VERY different in most ways from other species that was God's purpose(sorry I completely throw out the silly evolution theory :lol: )My opinion. Their is Dairy Cattle and there is Beef cattle. Dairy cattle DO NOT end up as a fast food burger, Beef cattle do. (I think they are made of soy aren't they? :lol:
But all kidding aside I am a member of the American Angus Association and raise Black Angus. I have never raised cattle until 4 years ago. There is NOT a cruel bone in my body. I realized I am a better zookeeper than a farmer though. Can't get myself to sell them, my husband is okay with that and we have never eaten anyone of our cows. Fine for those that chose to. But I would certainly not begin to in anyway call these these farmers who are a small part of the beef industry, cruel. Our neighboring farmers, 50-200 head farms, during calving season they get up for several months straight, each night to check and watch and wait for their pregnant cows to give birth, each one, should a calf need to be pulled and they do cry when they can't save one, I have seen it. Grown men farming all there life and they still cry. Never before have I met a kinder, gentler more nurturing group of people, who love the soil, and LOVE animals. It is there LIFE, they have to love it they sure aren't getting rich out of it.They don't let them just go it alone in a field somewhere. I agree there is bad in all professions. Trust me if you have never been around farming ( I was a citygirl til 4 yrs ago) it would give you a whole different perspective. To make a a judgement say all Dr.s are bad, well now come on they have been responsible for some patience dying, what a cruel industry. I truly am not a big meat either, I perfer chix and fish, I wear leather shoes and I also believe that animals have saved the lifes of many HUMANS through their contribution in science. God created them, without souls and they are irriational creatures that God created for mans pleasure and enjoyment solely(I have ONE book that can support this completely) Perhaps when I took my name "CatAholic" I took the wrong name. I would hope to never resemble someone who is fanatic. I Love my cats but there are definitely more important things in my life then them. I have been blessed with them to love and they ARE Loved. Balance, not extremes.
Former City Slicker to Iowan Country Bumpkin, Thankful indeed! Susie
P.S. Could you be wearing any clothes that were made in sweatshops, now what?! Its a cruel industry, you know. :wink:
Milk does good for children. Adult humans have no need to drink milk. In parts of the world that it's not "culture" to drink milk, people are lactose intolerant. The Ph-value in milk is not appropriate for human consumtion. Recent studies show that milk actuarally can cause osteoporosis. This can happen because the Ph-value is so low that the body needs calcium to neutralize it and the body pulls the calcium FROM the skeleton which can cause defienency in calcium.

One glass a day probably won't hurt but we have no physical need for milk. Sorry, science have proven you wrong.

And when it comes to christianity, animals, the bible and so on, people interpret things very different. I've just read a book written buy the american christian ethic Andrew Linzey and he indeed interprets the Bible in the animals favor, meaning they have souls and we have no right to eat or abuse them.

But, I'm not religous at all so I really don't care what the Bible say in the matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.