Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that if you give your cat the milk that we drink, it can give them an upset stomach. Is this really true? Ive always fed my cat milk, and she has never had any problems. Ive tried her on cat milk, but she just wont drink it.

Also, she wont drink the water in her food bowl. Why might that be?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would be concerned about her not drinking water personally. Is she on a canned/wet food diet, or a dry kibble food?
It's very possible your cat wont drink the water because you keep on giving it milk!

You are lucky your cat is not as sensitive to cows milk as some other cats, even in that case, I personally wouldn't offer it very often.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No we dont give it to her every day. Its just as a little treat. She eats wet food, with a little biscuit on top.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wet food is high in moisture and she can get most of her water needs from it.....this may be why she does'nt drink much out of her bowl.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Cats are usually lactose intolerant but my cats can take milk pretty well. Actually, Twinkie is the only one that really loves it and my bf likes to give him leftover cereal milk as long as the cereal wasn't that sugar sweet. A little bit is ok I think. :p

·
Registered
865 Posts
some cats can be picky about the freshness of water too (and the tempurature). Does she drink it when fresh? Or from the toilet?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Bean makes a good point. My cats definetly prefer their pet fountain or the bathtub compaired to that of a bowl with stagnant water (even if I did change it twice a day).

Try one of the pet fountains, even if your cat doesn't drink from it much, you know it's clean (comes with a filter) cool and fresh for her at all times, PLUS it makes a neat little trickling waterfall noise that's kind of soothing to you :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Like most cats, I'm lactose intolorent too. :wink: Once in a blue moon I'll let them have a little bit of my soy milk. They like it, but don't seem to love it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bean said:
some cats can be picky about the freshness of water too (and the tempurature). Does she drink it when fresh? Or from the toilet?
I have seen her drink from the kitchen and bathroom tap. Even if the water in her bowl isnt fresh, she still doesnt drink it. Thanks for the help everyone. :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
I must admit Willow very rarely drinks from her bowl she normally jumps onto the counter next to the sink in the kitchen and meows for one of us to put the tap on for her I am thinking about a pet fountain myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our ten year old cat doesn't like to drink water. I think I have actually "watched" her drink water under ten times.

We have had her since she was about three weeks old (our son picked her up and carried her home under his shirt), and we have been giving her a tablespoon of 1/2 and 1/2 every day since we have had her. In ten years, she has never had a single problem with the milk. No upset tummy, no loose stool, etc... However, I can always tell if the 1/2 and 1/2 isn't fresh - she will sniff at it and walk away from it. Smells ok to us, but not her!

Our other cats turn their noses up at it though.

Go figure! :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I totally love your avator it is soo cute, I really wish I could get one of my cats but I can never get them to sit together long enough to take a photo of all four.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts