Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may recall, I took in a 3-4 yo street cat back in October. I call her mill cat because she was living in our steel mill melting facility when I took her in. She has had a very hard life but has adapted very well to being a pampered indoor cat.

Taking in a ghetto kitty has its neat little quirks:
extreme caution must be used when preparing raw meats. :lol:
the toilet lid must be kept down at all times. :lol:
all spilled beer must be cleaned up immediately :lol:

but most importatly, one must be very, very careful when waking a street cat from a sound sleep. :lol:

now, for the crux of my post, mill cat seems to be having nightmares and they are increasing in frequency. She will emerge from sleep without any provocation so quickly and violently it'll just scare the crap out of ya. She normally sleeps on the back of the couch and last week she just exploded from a sound sleep and flew through the air and bounced of of a wall 12 feet away. If afraid she's going to hurt herself. It happens about every other day. She also emerges with the most possesed look in her eyes that I have ever seen. She snapped this morning again only this time she was hissing in full blown poofey tail attack mode and wouldn't even let me touch her to console her. I feel just awful.

There are no threats from the other cats as they are all scared to death of her and steer clear at all times. Anyone else ever experience this? I mean I know cats dream, all of mine will whimper and twitch occasionally in their sleep but this is just downright SCARY.

Is she having Nightmares? Is there a feline form of PTSD? Is it from the years of sleeping on the streets?
I just feel awful about it and want her to feel safe and get restfull sleep.

:(

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Poor baby, it must be awful for her. I wonder if a short term course of a mild sedative would help her? I think I would talk to her vet just to see if he has some ideas on how to help her have a little more peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I know in dogs when their thyroid isnt correct it affects thier behavior. I wonder if it is true with cats? How about getting her a Feliway plug by where she sleeps. Maybe that would calm her. Ive never heard of this before in a cat.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
A Feliway pheromone diffuser sounds like a good idea. :)
Poor Mill Cat! :cry: She's had a terribly hard life before you adopted her. She must seem like a rough-and-tumble war veteran to your other kitties. 8O

I think what you're seeing is a kitty form of PTSD. Arianwen has nightmares sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as Mill Cat. I just talk softly to her and pet her very slowly and softly; that seems to calm her and help her relax. Also, a neck massage is very relaxing. You do the massage the same way you would give a massage to a human, but with much less fingertip pressure. Scale the pressure down to be suitable for a kitty's size.

Prayers and healing thoughts for poor little Mill Cat.
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had a cat with a thyroid condition, and she never exploded from a sound sleep like that... She would have episodes of "rocket butt" while awake, and she would have kicky-feet dreams, but nothing that extreme.
I would suggest a well-kitty check up with a full blood panel if you are able, just to rule out any medical cause. I've heard some cats suffering from hypertension can get hypertwitchy, but I have no idea about this.
I'm also going to second the feli-way defuser and perhaps supplement it with something like Content-UM in her water, and perhaps even a "happy cat" enzyme spray on whatever she sleeps on. None of these are terribly cheap, but might help her feel more secure?
Good luck, and I'd sure like to hear how Mill responds to anything you try.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Poor baby, she still remembers her past, poor thing, she is lucky to have you!

Tiger dreams very often, last week he was making weird noises and his whiskers were moving up and down (used my cell to see in the dark), it sounded like he was scared so I am pretty sure he was having a bad dream, I touched him gently and said softly: baby it is all good, mommy is here, he woke up and slept on my chest for the rest of the night.
I believe cats can dream and have nightmares!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I just started using the Feliway diffuser on May 12, but it was moreso to address in-fighting and spraying issues with my other 3 cats, and for that it has worked very, very well so far. I wish I had gone that route years ago.

She was fine today, but definitely seemed wound up. I'm thinking maybe with the onset of spring and all of the squirrel and bird activity she may be a little 'overstimulated'. :D

She had a full blood panel done in October and everything was normal. My oldest is on thyroid meds. She never displayed any symptoms of a problem but she is certainly a happier cat on meds.

Here's hoping for a nice, relaxing long weekend with extra catnip and Fancy Feast for everyone!

:luv :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts