Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milo is such a brat sometimes!!! :(
He's alway chasing the girl cats and harassing them.
Well today he smacked Baby Girl in the face and scratched her eye.
I'm pretty sure he didn't scratch the eye itself, but i had to dab the blood out of her eye to make sure. I saw a nick in her upper and lower eyelids.
And when I just check her the membrane in the corner of that eye is red and bloodshot looking and her eye is watering a bit.

I'm going to call the vet in the morning if it doesn't look better by then, She's 13 years old and I'm afraid of it getting infected.

Should I be washing her eye out??
I'm not sure what to use if I should, would saline be ok or something else???

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whenever my cats eye got a little sore, i used a bit of salty water and it cleared it up quickly. I dont know if its what you should really use though, but it didnt do any harm to my cat. I have seen some special eye stuff in the pet section at supermarkets. I cant remember it much, but it was some kind of ointment or something.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Aonir said:
Eyes heal by themselves. I had a kitten scratch MY eye last month.. Thy just gave me antibiotics.
That's about all you can do. A coworker/friend had a 4mm scratch on his cornea from a kitten. And was healed in about 5-6 days.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!!!
I know I'm probably just worrying too much like I always do over my kitties!! I haven't looked at her eye in the last few hours because she's been sleeping, (she likes to sleep in the closet or under the bed), so I'll check her when she wakes up.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Definitely take her to the vet, no matter how it looks in the morning. The vet can put a dye in her eye to see if there is corneal damage, which would need to be treated.

Meantime, yes saline is fine. You can make your own. Never use contact lens saline because of all the additives it contains. Use 1/4 tsp salt in 1 cup of warm (filtered, not tap) water, use a cotton ball to drizzle it through the eye. It will sting if there's a corneal laceration, but it will help flush out the bacteria and other yucky stuff. And I'm told by Dr. Pitcairn that no, you can't use 1/8 tsp in 1/2 cup water or any other permutation, just do it like he says! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Baby Girls eye is much better, although she didn't get to the vet, this is my sister's cat and she has a wait and see attitude.
Which I do not agree with but it's her decision.

Anyway I have been keeping a close watch and her eye looks perfect, but I still will worry for a few days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts