Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start a new post with pictures of my babies as they grow. Some of you may have seen my thread about the kittens that needed their legs amputated due to the umbilical cords wrapped around the legs, and gangrene setting in. Miraculously, both kittens (at 4 and 5 days old) survived amputations. Today, I'm happy to say they turn one week old. I know they are far from being out of the woods just yet, but I think one week is a huge milestone, especially considering all they've already gone through in their short lives.
Picture 1: I started out with three babies (pictured at one day old), but sadly the tiniest one didn't make it more than a day. Her leg was so severely broken and she was about half the size of the other two, and not strong enough to hold on
Picture 2: Little boy at two days old
Picture 3: Little girly at two days old
Picture 4: My little girly today, at one week old
Picture 5: Little boy at one week old, unhappy about the milk he's having

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's unbelievable that they've gone through that much so soon. I haven't seen your first thread . . . where were these little ones born?
I work at a vet's office, and a woman brought in six kittens that were born in her basement to a stray cat. All six were stuck together by their cords, and three of them had damaged legs. She took the three healthy ones back to the mom, but left these three with me. I guess she just didn't want to have to deal with surgery and round the clock care for babies that weren't even hers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vivid dawn, Utah isn't THAT far from New Jersey :p and thanks everyone! The girls eyes are almost completely open now, and the boy hasn't even started to open his yet. Strange? Today was a big growing day for both.. Boy gained .5oz and girl gained .7oz. I'm so proud :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
2,000+ miles is plenty far, when I only have $30 for gas ;p LOL

Are you gonna name them, or would that just make you more attached?
I was fostering some bottle-fed babies once (they were perfectly healthy, just too young to be away from mom), and I just called them "Big Boy" and "Little Boy"... the bigger one was more fluffy fur, than actual weight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason I haven't named them yet is because they were a few hours old when I got them. They had a very slim chance of surviving, so I told myself I wouldn't name them until/if they made it to two weeks. So, if they make it to Friday, I'll name them :D Here is my cat Taz looking at "his" kittens. He loves them.. I think

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's cute that Taz has a handkerchief on his neck. My cats wouldn't have anything to do with that!

But yeah, you're such an angel for saving them. I didn't even know that could happen. That's sad.

Keep us posted! :>

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They're at my house! It's been a crazy week and a half.. I feed them just about every two hours so I get barely any sleep. I'm a senior at college so i drive home when I have some time in between classes I drive home to feed them. It's been crazy, and I haven't had much of a social life since I got them, but they're worth that and so much more to me.
And yes taz loves his bandana. His favorite are his bow ties :D He lets me do just about anything to him, he's super attached to me. I rescued him from the vet's office, too, when the man from the animal shelter brought him in to have him put down because he was a polydactyl. He was only 9 weeks old, and it was love at first sight :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
How could someone so naive think that a polydactyl cat should be put down?! I would love to have a thumb kitty. There are two at petsmart in the adoption center right now, sister and brother, and their cute little thumbs make me want to scoop them up and take them home. When they are laying together back to back, their black patches on their backs line up and they look like a rorschach painting. I keep praying they get taken together and not split up.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There's a polydactyl at my shelter. The only extra work they require (or at least she does), is checking the extra claw once a week. Hers grows really fast, and if we don't keep it clipped regularly, it starts growing into her pad.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts