Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed some of you talking about your cat liking to look at themselves in the mirror. Do all cats see their images in a mirror? My cats love the mirror...but only for the light reflections...they seem to not "see" themselve in it....that or they have no interest in it.

Just wondered if I had dumb cats or what!! (just kidding...I love my cats!!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hehe my kitten gets really confused when I put him infront of a wall-sized mirror in one of my bathrooms. He keeps trying to sniff the 'other cat' and just ends up bumping into the mirror again and again, and then he tries sneaking around and gets a bewildered look on his face when he sees the 'other cat' doing the same thing! :lol: Sooo cute!

·
Registered
11 Posts
In our kitchen we have a shiny trashcan and Oliver will often go up to it and bat at the other kitty.
But if I'm holding him and we're in front of the full length mirror he just looks around.
I think he's lonely though. :cry:
Being an orphan and all.
When he's a few weeks older we'll get him a friend.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I was always under the impression that cats could not actually see themselves in mirrors...that they couldn't see in 2 dimensions or something. I thought that their reaction to mirrors and/or tv was just because they saw the light reflection...
I wonder if I have been mislead.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
It's weird, I noticed that my cats do not look at themselves in the mirror when I am holding them in front of it.......they really avoid it :!:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Mine almost act as if it's not there. I put them closer and they usually put their paws out and then shove themselves away as if to say, hey lady why are you cramming my head into this "wall".

·
Registered
327 Posts
my cat has never acted like that before...i have always put him in front of my mirror and kept talkin to him and he did not even care..he only does it with light..he gets crazy with that!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Skeeter seems like he can see reflections in mirrors. We have a floor mirror in the bedroom and he'll lay on the bed in just the right spot so he can see himself. When we first brought him home, he'd walk by it and do that funny side-jump, bushy tale hop like it was another cat who'd startled him. When we're playing in the bathroom, sometimes I'll pick him up and show him himself in the mirror and he'll stare, then put his little paws up there to feel. And when he can see the reflection of my face when my back is turned to him, I catch him watching my face in the mirror like people do when your back is turned to them. :p It's pretty interesting. I wonder how clear the image is to him from a reflection. He can obviously see something pretty well!

·
Registered
138 Posts
lolakitty23 said:
Skeeter seems like he can see reflections in mirrors. We have a floor mirror in the bedroom and he'll lay on the bed in just the right spot so he can see himself. When we first brought him home, he'd walk by it and do that funny side-jump, bushy tale hop like it was another cat who'd startled him.
That's exactly what Callie did before he broke the darn thing in the middle of the night. The mirror was leaning against the wall unsecured (my bad) he'd bat at himself, then do the bushy tail dance...then he'd run around behind the mirror to find that darn cat. It was when he was behind the mirror when he pushed it over, causing it to break into a gajillion pieces. :evil:

sprat

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It's funny that you mention that, Katsprat! Skeeter almost did the same thing this morning! I never thought he'd be able to push it over, but he was chasing one of his toys behind the mirror, and it almost went tumbling to the ground! Glad it didn't. Would that be the kitty's 7 years of bad luck for pushing it over, or ours for not securing it properly in kitty's home?? Hmm... :wink:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think they can see themselves and probably dont take to much interest. When I got my kitten from the breeder he was taken away from 3 other littler mates that he hung out with basically 24/7. When we got him to our house you could tell he missed then terribly he was crying and looking for them. The next day he walked in front of a mirror about 5 or 6 feet away and saw himself and I think he thought it was a little mate because he went running over to his reflection and then bumped into it. I felt so bad. He just pranced right over happy as could be.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Bengal Cat said:
he went running over to his reflection and then bumped into it. I felt so bad. He just pranced right over happy as could be.
Aww...poor little guy! I would feel bad for him too. That is heart-wrenching when they get so happy about something, then are faced with reality. :( Hopefully, though, having his daddy's cuddles made up for it, though! :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
My new little kitten saw herself in the mirror this morning. I think she thought it was her littermates as well. She puffed up and went sideways. It was funny. My older cat Peekaboo doesn't seem to notice mirrors or reflections. This kitten watches tv as well....Peekaboo has never once looked at the tv...It may appear that she's smarter but I think she has a few screws loose :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts