Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was at my local shelter today to donate some stuff like food and toys( That Misa doesn't play with) and there was this adorable cat name Ernestina. Ernestina is 10 years old and she kept going by me today. She let me pet her and just sat there the whole time while I was getting my recipe. Before that I just got in the shelter and then I heard meowing and I didn't know who it was and sure enough, it was Ernestina. ♥ She even followed me around the shelter to get a toy, but she wasn't interested in the toy. She was more interested in me. Here's a picture of the cutie pie?

So I was wondering do you think I should adopt her? I was thinking if she is still there and if I get some money from Social security( I have an appointment in 2 weeks), then I'll be able to adopt her. When I first saw her, she seem pretty mellow and she wouldn't stop sniffing on me and my clothes. Misa is also sort of a mellow girl. Misa gets lonely at times so I though Ernestina will be a good fit for her. When I first got Misa, they didn't say if she will get along with other cats.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What trial period? You mean how Misa and Ernesina get along? Ernestina seems to get along with the other cats. The shelter I was today was a cageless shelter.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Wait, aren't you about to leave for college? YOu're going to take them both with you or you are living at home?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I see.

I got a very tempting email from our local shelter this morning. They are switching to their 'kitten season' prices. 20.00 for adult cats and 30.00 for kittens. It took a LOT of effort not to go look at all the possibilities?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I see.

I got a very tempting email from our local shelter this morning. They are switching to their 'kitten season' prices. 20.00 for adult cats and 30.00 for kittens. It took a LOT of effort not to go look at all the possibilities?
lol mine sent me a message saying if I would adopt a kitten , They would let me take a second one home for free...all shots, s/n and chipped.... but I got plenty thanks..

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see.

Haha!! =D Have you donated stuff to them before? I got mail saying that I could come by and visit the cats whenever I want for a hour. :D

I still think Misa will be happy with a friend around to a least keep her busy and another cat to snuggle with at times.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If your mom is ok with it and you have the money saved up for food, litter, and vet bills, then I see no problem in trying the situation out. You need to be certain that you have money for emergencies though, and I know from experience that college is expensive!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mean we can't afford another one right now, but when we get more money then yeah. I really want to adopt her and she was there for quite a long time. >< She's so sweet.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That's good. I was just saying that cats cost more than their adoption fees. You have to have a steady source of $ in addition to savings before you can consider getting a cat (or any pet). A lot of people spend $ to buy pets that they can't afford to take care of just a couple of months later. I'm sure you're not like this (as shown by your post above), but a reminder never hurts ;) I guess you'll keep us posted if you adopt the pretty girl!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
You have to have a steady source of $ in addition to savings before you can consider getting a cat (or any pet).
Yeah, this is key. I struggle with it as well. :p It's tempting because even I can afford the 20.00 to adopt one from the shelter right now but....double the food, double the litter, double the regular vet checkups and double the pet insurance..... over the long haul right now it's not smart and that money can be put to more .. practical... use.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OH I'll keep you guys updated. In the meantime I'm just waiting on the shelters reply to say if she can get along with other cats. If not then I can fine other kitties that might get along with my Misa. lol

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got a email today from the shelter about Ernestina and if she will be okay with Misa. Unfortunately she can;t be around with other cats. She swat at them when they get too close. :(

I'm sure I'll find another cat. She was so sweet though.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
That's too bad :(. Maybe it is just best to give Misa all of your attention right now since you can't get the other cat.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah.. or at least when that second cat comes.. She really loves her pets and snuggles and only likes to play with very few toys, even though I bought a lot of toys for her.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I'm confuse.. I don't know if I should get another girl( If I did I want to name her Nadia or Nilima or nini) or a boy this time..

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Just because she only plays with a few toys doesn't really mean she's bored..... she just may not LIKE those toys.....

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know. She probably doesn't like the majority of toys give her, even bubbles! She likes stringy toys and this catnip toy that the shelter gave us. lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts