Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been holding off on posting this, and I wasn't sure where to put it as I'm not completely postive that she is at the bridge...

But I think my cat, Nut aka Miss Meowzer/Princess, is gone for good. Despite my protests and attempts at compromise, she became a permanently outdoor cat several months ago at my parents insistence after being an indoor-outdoor cat for around a month.

As you know outdoor cats come and go, and sometimes are "adopted" by neighbors, or visit different houses at different times. But I haven't seen hide or hair of her for two weeks now. I'm afraid she might have been hit or eaten or attacked by a loose dog. :sad:

I really miss her and wish my parents wouldn't have been so set against letting her be an inside cat. I feel guilty. Like this could have been prevented in the first place. It was either us, or a shelter. Her mommy was a pregant stray and taken in by a friend of ours. But maybe being an outside kitty was worse than the shelter. Ugh. I feel terrible. :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear this, I know how terrible it feels when your cat goes missing, the not knowing part is really hard. How old was she? Sometimes cats reappear after a few weeks, even months, but these stories become rarer as time goes on. Did you put up missing posters and contact your local shelters?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t contacted any shelters …yet. I have told all my friends though, and they are on the lookout as well. The more days that go by though, the more I’m starting to lose hope. Miss M would be a year old in April so about eight months. She’s spayed and had her shots. In fact, I’m not worried about her starving as much as getting hit or attacked by a dog. She is very charming and great at taking down birds and mice. She was our little hunter!

I’m just not sure if she would taken in by a shelter though. She isn’t feral or anything, but not a lapcat at all. So it might be hard for a stranger to approach her. Miss M was (is?) playful and active and might’ve calmed down as she got older. She was my little meezer mix. On top of her wild personality, we are very out of the way. The nearest shelter would be at least thirty minutes by car. But I guess its possible for her to get that far…

Thank you for the replies. Having an indoor only cat is definitely my plan, once I’m able to live on my own and have enough money to properly take care of a cat or two. I'm sorry to hear you've had a cat disappear as well, Mary. Its almost worst than your kitty dying, because of the "what if", I think. You can't help but hope they're going to show up...

·
Registered
226 Posts
so sorry about your cat.. how old was your cat? was she fixed? have you tried to put posters around your neighborhood, mail boxes, check shelters, try to post an add in craigslist or even check the craigslist lost and found. i will not give up on her yet, maybe a nice neighbor seen her lose and hungry and is taking care of her.
good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I haven’t contacted any shelters …yet.
Just telling your friends isn't enough, definitely contact the nearest shelter. Someone could have found her and brought her to the closest one. Around here when a cat goes missing, shelters keep lost cats on hold for about a week in case someone is looking for them, and then they try and put them up for adoption. All you have to do is phone a few shelters (or one if they all work together) and give a description of your cat and a contact number.

Has your cat got numbers in her ears? A shelter can likely trace her to you as long as the numbers are readable.

I would also suggest putting up missing posters if you haven't done so yet. Put them around the neighborhood and especially around any stores within the area. Sometimes people find a cat and just keep it, but if they realise it used to be another persons cat will hopefully feel guilty and return it. Include a picture on the posters, list her distinguishing features, name, when she went missing, state that she might not be friendly, list a contact number, and reward if you're offering one, and say you really miss her and ask that people keep an eye out for her.

Heck, once my cat was missing for about a week, the whole time he'd been stuck in the next door neighbours garage! So I'm just saying, she could be really close by and you might not even know it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, she is spayed and is eight months old. Contacting a shelter will be my next step. She is pretty distinctive. Cream/white all over except for her points which are a dilute calico and blue eyes.

But she isn't chipped and she gets out of any and all collars so I'm worried if someone *does* find Miss M they won't realize she is a pet right away.

Last time she was in the neighbors garden and was puzzled about what I was fretting about. The town vet knows, so around here that means everyone will know between my friends, myself, and him. I'm just really worried I'm too late or it might not be enough.

I've also browsed petfinder on the off chance she might be there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news! One of the neighbors (two houses down) has said that she's spotted Miss M a couple of times, so she is in the area. But I wonder why she specifically isn't coming back here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good news! One of the neighbors (two houses down) has said that she's spotted Miss M a couple of times, so she is in the area. But I wonder why she specifically isn't coming back here.
great news.. hope it is your cat, maybe she is scared of something or someone feeding her and she has no need to come home. if you have a garage or patio put some food out for her at nite, maybe her favorite toy and keep and eye on her see if she shows up.

good luck

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It is good news she's been spotted recently. I'd follow sephi's advice. Also, if you know your neighbors well, I'd ask a few more to keep an eye out for her, and I'd go for a walk around the neighborhood, treats in hand, calling for her. I hope she comes home soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is more than likely she's been getting free hand outs, or stuffing herself with feet (a quirk of hers, she'll eat the insides of mice/birds but one time she ate only the feet), or eating from the ditch. Out here people sometimes toss their leftovers that way so... Either way, there is no immediate need for her to come home for food.

Thanks! I'm starting to think I'll need all the luck I can get. Everyone in the immediate area/neighborhood know about all the animals and which dog or cat belong to who and etc., so I guess I'm pretty lucky there.

One question though: if I do spot her, what would you say would be the best way to approach her? I don't want to scare her off by blundering over or anything. :/

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
Is there a sound she'll come to you for if you spot her? Like a bag of treats or a can being popped open?

I've read recently about a couple of successful reunions from spreading used kitty litter on the lawn and around the house.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It is more than likely she's been getting free hand outs, or stuffing herself with feet (a quirk of hers, she'll eat the insides of mice/birds but one time she ate only the feet), or eating from the ditch. Out here people sometimes toss their leftovers that way so... Either way, there is no immediate need for her to come home for food.

Thanks! I'm starting to think I'll need all the luck I can get. Everyone in the immediate area/neighborhood know about all the animals and which dog or cat belong to who and etc., so I guess I'm pretty lucky there.

One question though: if I do spot her, what would you say would be the best way to approach her? I don't want to scare her off by blundering over or anything. :/
does she have a favorite toy, maybe one which make noises? does she have a favorite treat? try that..
my cats when i take them out for walk, 90% of the time when i want to bring them in i use the word Snack and they run and come in!! if they are not hungry it is harder to get them in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Until I see a body or evidence of harm, I always keep hope alive.

When I was 6, my kitten Tigger went missing. I was heartbroken. 9 months later, my mum bought me another kitten from a rescue shelter. 6 months after that, Tigger came home. It was definitely him, because he'd had an ID tattoo in his ear. He was bigger and fatter, but still the same cat. No idea where he'd been for 15 months, but he finally found his way home as if nothing had happened.

Stay positive :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts