Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. Kinda Gross I know..

Teagan seems to sometimes miss the litter box.. she will sometimes get it half in and half on the floor, Sometimes just all on the floor.. right next to the litter box.. I hear her messing around in there so i am asuming it's just bad aim.. But could it be something else.

We only have 1 box.. when i try to use 2 they still only use 1.. It's big.. Tierney has no problems with it at 12lbs. so i don't think that is the problem.,..

Any thoughts? suggestions?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
maybe the hood would help keep everything inside. We have hooded boxes and have no problems. I almost think they prefer it that way - it's a bit more private!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tierney wont use it.. i have tried with him before.. plus it's a pain for me.. i have no where to keep it.. and i clean it out as soon as they go.. everytime..

When i tried it with him.. he just wouldn't go to the bathroom.. he held it for 24 hours.. so i took the top off.. he went as soon as i did.. i tried to show him to go with the top on.. so i put it back on again. still didn't go for 24 hours.. took the top off.. and he went as soon as i did again... I kept this up for about 4 days... finally i gave up

·
Registered
245 Posts
We had to take the hood off of ours too, because Pomponillia was missing it while the hood was on. But then also shortly after that we found out she had a bladder stone too, I am not saying that is what it is, but something to watch for just in case. you never know.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She only misses when she poops.. i don't think it's got anything to do with that.. but thanks for the thought

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Haha, my Minnie does that occassionally. She's a bigger cat and our box was too small. We got a larger box and now she has plenty of room to go (Min's about 13 pounds). She was too big for the box and she'd put her butt right up against the side while in the litter box and just poop all over the floor. She still does it once in a while...she's our "not so smart" one. Sorry for the "haha," we always joke that she's our "big baby" and she's always the one with the "mistakes."

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I had a cat that did that; she would get all four feet in the box, and I guess she just had no reason to think that her hind end wasn't also in the box!

I got one of those big rubbermaid storage boxes; the 10-gallon size is a little bit taller on the sides than a litterbox and generally catches everything inside. Of course, as I got more cats, I graduated to larger boxes; 14-gallon, 22- gallon -- now I think the one I have is a 33-gallon bin, but even my biggest cat has plenty of room in it.

Another creative client took a plastic garbage can and cut a hole in the side where the cats could go in and out; they loved it!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
40 Posts
missing the box.... been there....

my neutered male used to always miss the box... I swear he used to dig a big hole and then hang his butt over the edge and do his business. :roll: . the Solution we used was to buy a rubbermaid storage box.. its huge.. and I went from changing my litter box twice dailey to couple times a week... and there was no way he could miss the box... its kinda pricey getting started..with the extra litter.. but what a wonderful thing to no longer have the messes... so hopefully you dont have space issues... my guy used to also kinda spray when he went potty.. so that helped with that too..anyways I wish you luck
Nwlily

1 - 12 of 12 Posts