Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently (Missy's been with me for ten months now) Missy has been rolling over for me to brush her tummy. I give her short, frequent brushing sessions, and she never allowed this before. If I try to stroke her tummy using my hand I'll get the paw grip with claws and love bites. But with the brush there is none of that, she just lies back and enjoys. She even lets me lift her legs and brush her legpits.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Big step!! That's so sweet.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
That's great! Muffs is the exact opposite. She doesn't mind tummy rubs, but she refuses to let me groom her belly, with the result that her underside is often matted and it's off to the vet with her.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
jusjim, today I discovered the same thing: Prince prefers the brush over his belly to my hand. I took it naturally, because I'm autistic and for me it's totally logical. I didn't know that neurotypical people found it surprising...

Autistics and cats share many, many traits that NT people and dogs don't, so there are many behaviors I don't find different in cats. One example: both cats and autistics find eye contact unsettling.

·
Registered
802 Posts
jusjim, today I discovered the same thing: Prince prefers the brush over his belly to my hand. I took it naturally, because I'm autistic and for me it's totally logical. I didn't know that neurotypical people found it surprising...

Autistics and cats share many, many traits that NT people and dogs don't, so there are many behaviors I don't find different in cats. One example: both cats and autistics find eye contact unsettling.
Maybe Austism = being a cat :D

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I think so. Some autistics say that being autistic is being a cat in a dog's world.

One more example: cats and autistics are different from dogs in that we don't remain loyal when it's illogical. Logic is above love, unlike in dogs.

Also: hierarchies are very loose.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think so. Some autistics say that being autistic is being a cat in a dog's world.

One more example: cats and autistics are different from dogs in that we don't remain loyal when it's illogical. Logic is above love, unlike in dogs.

Also: hierarchies are very loose.
Haha, depends what dog you are talking about.
Huskies will LEAVE if there is an open fence.. xD

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
LOL, I was talking about blind loyalty, not mischieviousness!

·
Banned
202 Posts
Straysmommy, you must have very high functioning autism. I wish we knew more about autism, there are so many different levels. I loved the movie Temple Grandin. I think she is amazing.

Sorry to get off topic!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
goldenstar, I'm actually very severely impaired both relationally and spatially, compared to neurotypicals. In the other respects I'm mildly affected. I have, like other autistics, several traits that are more high functioning than the norm. Cat-people like me a lot better than dog-people do, that's for sure.

I find the differences between dogs and cats fascinating, and this thread is a wonderful example of things that make a big difference to a cat, things one wouldn't think about, such as whether the touch is more or less personal (hand or brush), same as with eye contact, cats (and autistics) are extremely slow at getting personal. Earning a cat's trust enough for personal touch / eye contact is a lot harder than with a dog.

·
Banned
202 Posts
goldenstar, I'm actually very severely impaired both relationally and spatially, compared to neurotypicals. In the other respects I'm mildly affected. I have, like other autistics, several traits that are more high functioning than the norm. Cat-people like me a lot better than dog-people do, that's for sure.

I find the differences between dogs and cats fascinating, and this thread is a wonderful example of things that make a big difference to a cat, things one wouldn't think about, such as whether the touch is more or less personal (hand or brush), same as with eye contact, cats (and autistics) are extremely slow at getting personal. Earning a cat's trust enough for personal touch / eye contact is a lot harder than with a dog.
Amazing. I hope you didn't mind my commenting. I find anything to do with the brain fascinating. Again, my apologies to the OP for being off topic.

To the OP, my Dagny HATES his tummy being rubbed by hand. Perhaps I should try a brush!!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
That is so sweet!! =D And I thought most cats don't like tummy rubs.

@Straymommy: Thats very interesting. :) I never thought of Autistics and cats can have some similar traits like that.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
There's a book called "All cats have Asperger's Syndrome". The more I get to know cats, the happier I am that I find them a lot easier to understand than I do humans, and it's mutual.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
goldenstar, I didn't mind at all! Autism is a difference, not a weakness.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Midnight, the wild cat, lets me brush him and he really likes it. He lays down on the rug and flips from side to side to let me get everywhere. I can brush his chest and stomach also. Have to be careful because he enjoys it so much, he stretches out his legs and CLAWS - which look like this! 8O

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Yes, it's typical behavior of cats in the wild to go for their weekly spa brushing. :)

LOL Midnight is the most sophisticated, cosmopolitan wild cat in history of catmankind!

Has he started asking you for pocket money to go into town and impress the girls? I'd watch your car keys if I were you. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts