Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Missy's been off her food for a few days. She'll eat a little canned ham, and bit of my food -- if I'm having chicken, and her servings of sardine or tuna, but not her cat food. She's rejected it before, and will often eat some if I open a fresh can. The food is kept in the fridge (maybe I should transfer it to a plastic container, or better still, glass).

Anyway, she has done this once before. I put her saucer down with the food. She went to it and smelled it. Then she stretched out her paw put it across the saucer and scraped as though she was covering 'you know what', moved a bit and scraped from another direction, and moved a third time for a bit more covering. I wonder if she would have done this if I wasn't watching.

Anybody else have their liitle darlings do anything like this?

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
That's a classic rejection action..... either she just doesn't like the food, isn't hungry, or it's too cold and I'm covering it up for later (even the big cats do this). Try putting the cold canned food on a hot plate, or warm slighty in a toaster oven (not microwave). Change flavors of canned food, maybe she wants more variety.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When I first brought Missy home I'd put the food in the Microwave for about five seconds, which just took the chill off. She didn't care much for this and preferred food straight out of the fridge. She often gets it on a warm plate as I clean and wash the previous crumbs off before I put the fresh food out. She gets frequent small portions because when I first got her she'd eat too fast and get sick. Her normal rejection is to turn up her nose. This was only the second time I'd seen the cover this stuff action. Thanks for the thoughts, though.

I do vary. She goes crazy over a flavour, and then goes off it, and that's one of the reasons I don't buy the more exotic brands. I tried her with a couple and they got rejected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts