Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so these are my first cats. I adopted Mistletoe in Dec and she was 5 months old. She had been in the shelter since she was 4 weeks old :( She has some play/pet induced aggression that I'm working with her on. Which makes these intro's even scarier for me. Though she has NEVER broken my skin.

So then I decided to adopt a kitten to be friends with her. Some of you may have seen my posts about Althaea in the hospital so I'm just getting to intro's with them.

Mistletoe does NOT sniff the entrance to the kitten's safe room. she doesn't even react to the cries by the kitten. When I feed them by the door of the safe room with the door cracked so they can see each other, Mistletoe hisses and growls as she eats. I let the kitten out of the room for a minute, Mistletoe hissed at ther the whole time. If I'm holding the kitten in my arms, Mistletoe calms down and doesn't do anything. I think she's afraid of the kitten.

I've heard so many people talk about their cats sniffing the doors of the safe room where the new cat is. Has anyone had a resident cat react like Mistletoe?

I'm on pins and needles waiting for this introduction period to end. After spending so much money on the kitten Althaea, it would be very difficult to let her go if it doesn't work. Thanks!
Deirdre

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hello,

I don't know how reassuring I can be, but I'll tell you about my recent experience.

We got a kitten a year ago this time and brought him home to our resident cat that was 7yrs old at the time. Well...after a year, they still don't love eachother. But they tolerate eachother and as long as one isn't picking on the other, we have a pretty happy household.

As far as the initial introduction, it was very similar to what you describe. Samhain was NOT interested in Psi in the other room one bit. And she would hiss and throw a fit whenever she saw him. This went on for probably 2 or 3 weeks. Then she'd act normal until he came near her, then she'd throw a fit again. Now she will just throw a fit if he tries to touch her but otherwise she is perfectly fine. Her relationship with us hasn't changed one bit and Psi is also a really great cat - they just don't love eachother. I must admit that I'm disappointed that they don't, but I still love my cats and I do NOT consider it a failure at all. So, if your cats are like mine and never "fall in love," it doesn't mean you have to get rid of the new kitty.

My advice is... just give it time, and take it slow, and things will work out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I know that they may never love each other. As long as they can tolerate each other and Mistletoe doesn't hate us then I consider it a "success."

·
Registered
52 Posts
And remember to give it time too. I have a 4 year old cat and it's taken almost 7 months for her to adjust to my new cat. They still don't get along 100% of the time and probably never will, but the house is a peaceful place. She'll get upset when he tries to play with her and still occasionally hisses at him, but that's the extent. I think they will keep each other company even if they don't get along tremendously and that's important.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For a whole month I had two cats in one room and two in another. They could not bear each other, hissing spitting etc. After a month I was able to let them in the same room. But it has taken 7 months for them to be proper friends, now they all groom each other and play with each other, but I realise this does not always happen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soooo Intro's got rushed a little bit today. The kitten snuck out of her room and I didn't know it. I found Mistletoe and Althaea(kitten) staring at each other. Mistletoe did not look happy but she only hissed at the kitten when she got too close. They must have been facing off for a good 10 minutes without blood shed.

Does that sound good? How do you guys think I should continue. Thanks!!
Deirdre

·
Registered
552 Posts
Deirdre, just try to keep an eye on them when they are together. Sounds like they are off to their own start. If you cannot watch over them, you will probably want to keep them separated. Just go slow and you are going to be OK.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tried to get mistletoe into the kitten's room while the kitten was in another room. Mistletoe growled and hissed outside the door. I tried to coax her with treats. She only got so far as sticking her head in but with an attitude the whole time. So I think I will continue working on that and get her use to the smell before I push it.

I don't care if they're not friends, I just want them to tolerate each other.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've let the kitten run around the hosue while Mistletoe was out too. Mistletoe watched everything the kitten did. It was almost like she was stalking her but she wouldn't get too close. I'm unsure of how to read that. She hissed when the kitten got too close. What do you guys think?

I bought the plug in Feliway since it's suppse to calm the cats as well. I put vanilla extract on each of them so they smell the same.

Thanks!!
Deirdre (overly paranoid kitty mom)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'd say the intros are going extremely well.
Don't worry, hissing and growling are very normal things for cats to do to new arrivals. As long as they're not going straight for each other's throats - THAT would be bad.

When I introduced Pixie to the household a year after everyone else, Kayla growled and hissed up a storm. She would swat the baby right across the head when Pixie wanted to play - she would have NONE of it. She flatly refused to eat with her, and had a look of "I'd rather starve". I just gave Kayla lots of hugs, and told her it would be ok. A week or two later, Kayla started to eat with her, then they'd curl up and sleep together, and I even caught them playing a few times.

Kayla also "stalked" the new kitten at the beginning. It's fine, let 'em get up close and personal, supervised by you. A little swatting may happen, that's fine too. Just give them both lots of extra cuddles and reassurance. Hope things keep progressing, looking forward to an update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts