Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought Addison about 30 different cans of cat food. I got Wellness, Felidae, Natural Balance, Nutro Natural, Nutro Max, and Nutro Gourmet in many different flavors. The problem is, he doesn't seem to like ANY of it!

However, I still have about 12 cans of Friskies left, which he loves. I gave him half a can of Wellness Chicken, which he wouldn't touch. Then I tried mixing in half a can of Friskies Chicken and Salmon, and he's chowing down!

Is there anything wrong with giving him his food half and half like this? I want him to eat better food than what he's been eating, but if he just won't eat it, it isn't going to do him any good is it? So will mixing it like this be a problem?

·
Registered
209 Posts
D*mn those fancy feast people!! :x My cats love it more than anything. I've yet to find anything they'll inhale like they did fancy feast.

OsnobunnieO:
Once I realized that my kitties needed to eat wet food, I immediately went to the store. I bought nutro-pouches to start with. Then I stopped at Sam's on the way home and saw a case of Fancy Feast for a really good price. They inhaled it but would only pick at the Nutro. I tried mixing the Nutro in with the Fancy Feast...they ate the Fancy Feast out of it, leaving the Nutro chunks untouched. :roll:
You would have thought I had learned my lesson with the Nutro pouches going uneaten. But no, I have again bought large quantities of wet food before buying one to test and see if they like it. What was I thinking! I bought a case of AvoDerm which they will barely eat. The pet store was having a sale on Nutro Max cans so I picked up a few. They love these...but not the pouches :? What do they have to be "cats" all of the time!?! I don't know what I'll do with the AvoDerm. If it is okay to mix with other food then I may try that again and hope they don't outsmart me this time. I just don't want to mess up their tummies.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I am curious to know how bad it is, and how much damage could be done, by feeding my cats a high-quality dry (felidae) and then letting them have there Fancy Feast once or twice a day? (wow, talk about a run-on sentence :roll: ) Neither of my cats have had a weight problem, and Gaylord has actually always been slighlty UNDERweight. What do you guys think???

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is from the thread about wet food flavors:

adavis, I just wanted to point out that Fancy Feast is poor quality for more than just the presence of "by-products"

Here's the list for Fancy Feast - Beef Feast
MEAT BROTH, MEAT BY PRODUCTS, BEET MEAT GLUTTEN, FISH, CORN STARCH MODIFIED, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SOY FLOUR, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATES, TAURINE CHOLINE CHLORIDE,IRON DIOXIDE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A ACETATE, COPPER SULFATE, PYRIDOXUNE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, NIACIN, CALCIUM PANTHOTENATE, RIBOGLAVIN SUPPLEMENT(VITAMIN B2), COBLAT CARBONATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPLLEMENT, VITAMIN B 12 SUPPLEMENT , MENADIONESODIUM BESULFATE COMPLEX (SOURCE OF VITAMIN K ACTIVITY ), FOLIC ACID POTASSIUM IODIDE, BIOTIN FIA 5600-K.

The first ingredient is basically water (meat broth - they don't state what animal it comes from, because they don't know)

Second ingredient is meat by-products - so basically the greatest meat source in the food comes from the unusable parts of various animals, not a single source. You want to stay away from by-products as well as foods that do not list the animals source (ie: like meat, fish or poultry)

Third ingredient is a starch filler.

Fourth ingredient is another no-name animal source.

The rest of the ingredients are more carbs, artificial flavours and added chemicals.

Don't forget to look at the name of the food as well. "Beef feast" means there has to be at least 25% beef in the product. That's kind of scary isn't it? The rest of the food, therefore, is filler. I have nothing good to say about Fancy Feast, because there is not a single good ingredient in the food.

Here's a bit of an article from this site http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm
The "dinner" product is defined by the 25% Rule, which applies when "an ingredient or a combination of ingredients constitutes at least 25% of the weight of the product" (excluding water sufficient for processing) as long as the ingredient(s) shall constitute at least 10% of the total product weight; and a descriptor that implies other ingredients are included in the product formula is used on the label. Such descriptors include "recipe," "platter," "entree," and "formula." A combination of ingredients included in the product name is permissible when each ingredient comprises at least 3% of the product weight, excluding water for processing, and the ingredient names appear in descending order by weight.

The "with" rule allows an ingredient name to appear on the label, such as "with real chicken," as long as each such ingredient constitutes at least 3% of the food by weight, excluding water for processing.

The "flavor" rule allows a food to be designated as a certain flavor as long as the ingredient(s) are sufficient to "impart a distinctive characteristic" to the food. Thus, a "beef flavor" food may contain a small quantity of digest or other extract of tissues from cattle, without containing any actual beef meat at all.

--------------------------

So I hope that clears up what is wrong with Fancy Feast.

The thought of my kitties eating any ground up beaks or feet or any other random body parts is just too much for me. I won't go back to any wet food that has "by-product." My goal is to find a group of brands that are high quality AND my kitties love. It's very difficult being in Hawaii becuase there are not very many places that carry high quality foods and the prices are VERY inflated. If I order it online, shipping cost cancel out any savings. I'm in the process of trying to find the best balance that I can afford. How much is Precise or Wellness where everyone lives? I finally went to one of the 3 pet stores out here that carry either one and they were $1 for a 3oz. can. I can get Nutro cans for $.50 which I figure is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yeah, I know it is a horrible food :? I kind of compare it to Mc Donalds for cats, but, I enjoy a little junk food along with healthy stuff, so I was just wondering how much damage it would do to indulge the cats a little :roll:

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I don't know if this will work, but maybe you can try mixing 1/2 and 1/2 and slowly wean them off the fancy feast. Maybe it will fool them into eating it :wink: . I think McDonald's is similar to fancy feast in more that it isn't good for you. Have you seen "super-size me"? I think both Fancy Feast and McDonald's food contain additives that make it taste really good, and can be addicting. I think that's why many cats refuse to eat anything else.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
OsnobunnieO said:
Is there anything wrong with giving him his food half and half like this? I want him to eat better food than what he's been eating, but if he just won't eat it, it isn't going to do him any good is it? So will mixing it like this be a problem?
That is a great idea, I'm completely behind it. I can't see any probs mixing the foods together. I haven't needed to do it, I'm able to open 1 can at a time, but I mix a little dry food into the wet, and my kitties love it.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, I think I was wrong. He isn't exactly scarfing down his food with the Friskies mixed in. He's eating a little more than he did with just the new stuff. It could have been the Chicken flavored Friskies he didn't like though. I think it has a weird smell to it.

Hm... if anyone else decides to try this, let me know how it goes. I'm REALLY needing a good idea to make him eat more wet food.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I can not for the life of me get Tierney to eat any wet food but Fancy Feast. Also, looking at my labels compaired to the beef one that was used as an expample, (He will only eat Turkey) they look better. I have tried EVERYTHING. I have make the Nutro into a paste, i have tired EVERY brand, and nothing works.

So I in order for Tierney to get wet food, which i know is good for him, he has to eat the bad stuff, but he gets Chicken Soup for his dry food. So i figure it has to all balance out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
So I in order for Tierney to get wet food, which i know is good for him, he has to eat the bad stuff, but he gets Chicken Soup for his dry food. So i figure it has to all balance out.
Sounds like we are in the exact same position :roll: That is what I'm hoping....that in the end, it will balance out, as long as their dry food is high quality :roll:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've found Wysong Denta treat to be very helpful in enticing picky cats to eat. Bella sometimes won't eat certain flavors or brands that I buy but I can always get her to eat it if I sprinkle the denta treat on top. It smells like parmesan cheese.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I am in NO WAY saying that Fancy Feast is a good food, it's junk, but I have a can here and here are the ingredients:

Beef, Beef Broth, liver,fish, meat by-products, natural and artificial flavors, guar gum, potassium chloride, salt, taurine, vitamin B-1, vitamin E, sodium nitrate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, vitamin A, copper sulfate, vitamin B-12, vitamin B-6, dicalcium phosphate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin B-2, cobalt carbonate, vitamin D-3 , vitamin K, folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin.

At least the first 4 ingedients are a named meat.....right?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Actually, only the 1st ingredient is a named meat. The second is a broth (water), which is fine in itself, but it's not meat. The 3rd ingredient is liver (sourced not named) and the 4th is fish (source not named). Now if it said beef liver and salmon, then it would have named sources. That can seems to have better ingredients than the flavour I found and posted. But although it is better, it still isn't very good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts