Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a stray 3 weeks ago. He seems to be an abandoned house cat. My friend told me NOT to take him for an initial vet exam, so I haven't done it yet. But he's recently started to go outdoors during the day for a few hours, so now more than ever I want a vet to check him and do all the vaccinations (I can't know if he was vaccinated or neutered before). But my cat is so big and heavy (like a medium-sized dog) that I can't carry him to the vet clinic. So I've arranged for a mobile vet clinic to come next Monday and do all the work here in our parking lot. The added cost is almost nothing, compared to the vet clinic nearby. Has any of you used a mobile vet clinic? If not, why not?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I've never used one because I haven't heard about any in my area. But if the price was reasonable, I definitely would because my Magneto HATES going to the vet, it makes him so very upset. I would think this option would be great, especially for cats.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
My TNR group has used every vet in our area. From our experiences with them we know who is the best and most of them to avoid. Our most knowledgable vets do home visits. Its well worth it esp if your not stressing your cat out.

Do you have friends who do rescue or TNR that you could find out their experiences with this vet? this new cat youve adopted will need to be felv/fiv tested esp since it going to be an indoor outdoor cat. Hopefully this vet will be using the new vet jet for the fiv vaccinations which do not cause cancer from the vaccination. They dont have a vet jet for Rabies but you can get a 3 yr rabies shot so you wont have to be bring the cat in every year. Be sure and have this vet put a micro chip in so if your cat looses it collar someone can get it back to you. The vet will be able to tell if this new cat has been spayed or neutered.

If this is a good vet it sound like a great set up. Our favorite vets started out by doing house calls and saved money for his clinic which is one of the best, up to date clinic, in the area. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
My bad.. I should of looked closer to see your not in the US. The web page looks great and reading into the attitude of the clinic they sound progressive. Hopefully this is a win win situation for you and your new kitty.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mitts, I'm very surprised we don't use microchips here.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I wonder why your friend told you not to have the cat checked out when you rescued him. Of all the times of a check-up, that would be most important! As Mitts said, as the cat has/will be outside, the disease testing is important. Plus, you would know right away if the cat was fixed, too.
I took my feral cats in the first day I caught them (actually, the first hour!), and got them all looked over and took home medicines for the sick ones to get them better as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She said it's a very traumatic experience for the cat and to visit the vet sparingly, only if really needed. But now I wish I had called the mobile vet earlier.

Thanks whoever for moving the thread to the right forum, btw.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
:grin: You're welcome!

I was wondering why your friend told you that, too.

I may check out a mobile place for trimming the girls' nails. It's such a hassle to take all four girls in, even though I don't pay much.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I noticed that we have a mobile vet here as well. I passed it a few days back while i was running errands......if I wasn't so attached to my vet I'd think about switching.....

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Mitts, I'm very surprised we don't use microchips here.

Ya microchips are a no brainer. Plus abandoned cats easily get back to the rescues or owner right away. Maybe suggest it to your vet. Where always suggusting things to our vets.

the humane society lets you walk in and they will implant it right then and there. The microchip is the size of a rice seed. Not painful and its over before the cat knows it! They charge $20 ... but the vets charge $60 for the same thing.

Rescue can get their own scanner and microchips to implant on their own time. Were just too small a group to invest in one yet so Im always taking my fosters up and having them done out of my own pocket. I feel more peace when they are adopted that they could find their way back to us if they get loose.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mitts, here microchips are useless because no one takes a lost cat to the vet to have it scanned.

Mowmow, I asked a vet clinic today what the advantages are over a mobile vet clinic, and he said the only advantage is that if you have a vet you like, you won't change it for a mobile one. So you're right in your feeling.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I feel more peace when they are adopted that they could find their way back to us if they get loose.
I feel a great sense of security knowing MOw is microchipped. If he escapes and winds up at the shelter I know he's got a ticket home and they won't destroy him. Also if something horrible happens to him(God forbid) animal control scans and contacts owners that a body has been found.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Btw, Mitts, your picture of the hand and the paw reaching out to each other gave me goosebumps in a wonderful way. It's beautifuuuuuul!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used a mobile vet to get Boo fixed because my normal vet back in my old city charged $180 that I didn't have the time while the Mobile Vet was $40 since I didn't his shots(already had them).I would have had Luna and Ellie fixed there but they were full at the time so I payed $160 each at the normal vets office.So I like them for small things like that but still prefer having a normal vet for everything else.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hitomi, why is a normal vet better for everything else?

·
Registered
188 Posts
In my place it's better because the normal vet is open longer hours(24/7) and doesn't take as long in a emergency.The Mobile here only comes about twice a month that's usually for TNR and low income families to get vet care.Otherwise in a emergency I'd be out of luck.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Years ago, when we had to put our poor sweet senior rescue CRF kitty Nikky to sleep, we had a mobile vet come to the house. It was still a heart-rending experience, but I think for Nikky's sake it was a good choice to be at home in the kitchen when the time came.

With Gracie, I am fine taking her in the car to her regular doctor or the emergency clinic. She doesn't seem too stressed in the car (although now we have the use of Feliway spray to help out, which didn't exist before).

Fran

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: the mobile clinic just visited. It was a blessing. I strongly recommend!

Prince was examined, vaccinated and treated in the comfort of our bathroom. The price was the same (or a bit less) as taking him to a vet clinic, minus the transportation, the waiting room and the hassle.

Prince behaved wonderfully and got a cube of turkey pastrami as a reward. He's now happily sunning on the building's low roofs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts