Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moby and Julia seem to be getting along ok - they can be right next to each other without a fight (and they sniff each others noses offen).

However - Moby has an annoying habit. He sometimes used to do it to me before, in a way. Walking from one room to the next he'd chase after me at high speed, then run out. Or he'd bat my legs. I'm noticed elsewhere on the site it might be play aggresion or something? Maybe he needs play therapy?

So anyway, he does that to Julia. Offen. Usually when she leave the room quicker than normal (even walking fastly). However, when he does this his turns, bats and hisses at him, which seems to egg him on. Also - sometimes you can tell when she's in the room, he starts staring, and his tail starts twitching, and you can tell he's up to something. I've been trying to keep him occupied when that happens, but he always ends up chasing her when she starts to get out of sight.

Also - he seems to get a bit aggressive when I pet him and he's in the room. Like he wants to watch her and doesn't want me petting him.

This doesn't happen ALL the time, when he's sleepy they're fine. Is this due to him being bored?

Julia of course doesn't not like it, and she hides. She's back out 10 minutes later and seems fine (and she sleeps in the same room as him at night), but she's obviously not a fan of this. AND - yesterday I noticed Moby had some small scratches on his check and nose. VERY small, but it was on his face. So - she IS using her claws at times, and I don't want Moby to lose an eye. Moby isn't good at judging speed and runs into her sometimes when she comes to a full stop and turns.

Long post - sorry.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh - and a side note: Usually Moby's tail is just slightly swaying back and forth after this event. Like he does when happy. He doesn't look aggitated after (or before really), which makes me think it's not true aggression. Also - he makes no sounds at all. No growling or anything - he's never done anything to Julia other than make that purr meow.

I also don't think it sexual, because it doesn't look like he's trying to mount, and you can see any "licorice" as a co-worker once put it. I've never actually seen him have any kind of sexual reaction from anything, which I've seen in other cats. Although I guess it makes him less of a man, I'm glad I don't have to see that...

·
Registered
366 Posts
It sounds like Moby's digging Julia, but Julia's not quite so keen (yet) on Moby's chase-bat-RUN thing. Since he used to do something similar to you, who has been his play buddy for a while (did he do this to you when he wanted your attention?), and now he has someone else to annoy, er, play with, it might just be his little way of saying "play with ME". He might see a quick exit (or occasionally, any exit) as an invitation to a game of chase.

Julia, being in a new place with a resident cat, doesn't understand that, and just thinks "here comes that white cat again" and is probably reacting very normally to the charge.

I agree with you that it's probably not a sexual thing, especially since he's doing the happy tail dance. I don't think he's bored, I think it's more of a adjusting to the new cat thing, and being incredibly curious about her, and not wanting you to distract him from watching her.

You might want to try some alone play time with Moby, with no Julia distraction, with his favorite toys and treats, and give it all some more time. It sounds like the introduction is going really well though, overall.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One good thing about Julia is that she finds Moby's lost toys very good. Moby likes to put them in hard to get places because it's more challenging. However, due to his lack of claws he usually can't. I try getting his mice from under the couch once and a while, but after Julia came there were suddenly mice appearing everywhere. I think there's like 8 around now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What a wonderfully useful trait to have in a cat! Pfeffa's always losing her toys - I wouldn't say she's doing it to challenge herself, she just has a very short attention span and no object permanence (out of sight, out of mind).

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well, let me know if you figure out what to do. That's how Thomas and Kitty started out. He's antagonize her and she'd make a break for it, but when she runs he thinks...great, we're playing.

Except instead of the run, hit, run away method that's occurring in your house, Thomas prefers the run and tackle, taking flying leaps onto Kitty then trying to wrestle with her (doesn't seem like trying to mate at all, just play). Lately Kitty is getting smart though, when she sees him coming she waits till the last moment, then ducks. Thomas goes flying over her. He usually recovers from his fall and turns around to look at her like...what went wrong there. Unfortuately she's not fast enough to get away after this trickery, so he usually manages to get her anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just have to agree with what the others have said... sounds like play-time to Moby... whether or not Julia realizes it! (Doesn't it kind of remind you of elementary school recess? Boys antagonizing the girls, thinking they're being quite charming... but the girls' claws coming out in response! :D ) Maya does the crazed, high-speed-zooming-around, "attacking"-me-as-I-walk-by thing too, and I think its just her way of catching my attention. She LOVES it when I give in and chase her on my hands and knees. It seems like maybe it will just take some time for Moby to get used to the idea of having a 24-7 playmate all the sudden... and for Julia to adapt to the same thing! :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
i agree with the others too. it sounds to me like they're just having some trouble adjusting to each other. i recently added 3 cats to my home, and after 2 months...they still have NO idea when the others just want to play. they all have their own interpretations of play they've grown accustomed to.

take woody, for example. reeko has been around ever since i got her, and she knows if she runs along side him and swats him in the back of the head ( :lol: ) he'll start playing with her. but when she does that to buttons, one of the new cats...he starts growling/hissing/swatting at her. she backs off though, but will try again another day.

my cats also see "leaving the room at a faster pace" as an invitation to play. the new cats don't. :lol: but they're all learning. it just takes time, methinks. moby is probably just excited to have a friend around now, but julia is probably still weirded out a little by the whole change of life.

to moby, everything is the same with the exception of a new cat. he probably wants to keep an eye on her. to julia, her entire life is different. if neither of them have lived with other cats before, it'll probably take longer for them to adjust.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yep, sounds like some good playtime is in order for the Moby-man! He just needs an acceptable place to channel his Great White Hunter energy! :lol:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Barnaby does the same thing to me, chase after me, bat my leg and run, kind of like "Tag! You're it.". That must me a male way of playing and I have heard that males get along better with males because their play habits are more similar.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Things have gotten slightly better... Julia does the same to him a bit now, but it still gets too rough.

But one good things is they're stopping now when I yell "hey!". Before they would chase until one of them was in hiding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts