Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kittens are 10 days old. Mother had them in basket in closet. Soon after she decided she wanted out of the basket so I helped to make a spot for her and kittens on the floor of the closet. The past two or so days Mom Cat - Nellie - will often take one of the kittens and move them into the other closet in our room leaving the other two behind in her original spot. Today my husband came home to find them all out of the closet in different areas all over our bedroom. Last night while getting up to use the bathroom one was in the middle of the room and good thing he was meowing because otherwise he might have got stepped on. Nellie drove us crazy meowin g away last night - all night long - as if talking to her kittens.

Can anyone explain this odd behavior or give suggestions to help alleviate the constant meowing and to help to avoid a kitten accidently being stepped on in the in the middle of the night in a dark bedroom?

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
The reason for her moving the kittens probably goes back to instinct - moving her litter so that they're not prey to other animals.

As for making her stop or eliminating the "almost being stepped on" problem, I have no idea - I hope someone on here will have that answer. Maybe call your local vet today...just in case no one answers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walked back into the bedroom and there was a kitten in the middle of the floor. Becoming the norem. I changed the bedding as I have quite a few times in the past days but she still moved one. I took it upon myself and made her a new place. She was never moving all of them at once except for the one time so i helped her make the new spot. Brought in a new box type thing and made it all comfy and moved it right out into the corner of the great room in our house - tucked in near my office and hidden a bit. She seems hgappy with the move right now and is stretched out feeding them and cleaning them. We'll see how it goes - at least we won't be kept awake all night by her meowing tonight.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Is the place you made her covered? A woman I know who had kittens took a big cardboard box and cut a hole high enough so that the mom could get in, but so the kittens couldn't get out (3-4 inches off the ground). It makes them feel safer when their babies are "hidden."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts