Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat, Riley, had four kittens last Sunday. Riley was a 6 week old feral kitten that I rescued a year ago and she's pretty tame. I was going to have her spayed, but she got out one night and was gone for about a week. She returned and a few weeks later I found out she was pregnant.

Riley picked to make her nest in the closet in my bedroom first. Which was perfectly fine with me, because I could close the door to keep the dogs out while I was at work.

Then last Tuesday after I changed the bedding in the kittens box Riley moved the kittens into an empty computer monitor box in the office closet. I thought maybe I had done something wrong with taking out the bedding, but I didnt want the kittens to be laying on the filthy blanket. I put the clean blanket in the computer box and she still kept the kittens there so I figured it was ok. And I changed the bedding a few times that week and she kept the kittens in that same box all week. I figured maybe she liked this place better than my bedroom.

On Tuesday night, I took out the blanket again to wash it because there were fleas on it and it was quite smelly. I replaced it with a couple clean towels. A few hours later, I heard a kitten cry coming from the kitchen. I ran to go see what was going on, and Riley was climbing the pantry shelves with a kitten. It looks like she was trying to move the kitten to the top shelf of the pantry or to the top of the refridgerator. I must've startled Riley, because she opened her mouth to meow and dropped the kitten. Unfortunately, I was unable to reach her in time to catch the poor kitten. The fall must've hurt him badly, because from that point on, he refused to nurse. I tried to feed him with an eye dropper as the vet advised, but he would just cry. He quit opening his eyes, and his whole body would shake. I took him to the vet. The vet said there wasnt anything she could do, and the kitten was euthanized. I told her what Riley was doing when this unfortunate accident happened. The vet said to lock her in the office even when I am home so she couldnt move the kittens. Should I let her try and seek out another nesting place...a safer one than the top of the pantry...or should I just make her stay in the office? So far, I've resigned to locking her up in the office. I dont know what is making her want to move the kittens every few days. Is this normal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's pretty common for a formerly feral cat to move their kittens acctually. All of the dangers her kits would've faced outside would leave her having to move them to protect them. I deffinantly agree with keeping her locked up untill they're weined.

We had a cat once that went a little crazy with it and moved them everytime she heard a loud noise. It stormed once just after they opened their eyes and I spent all night waiting for her to cross the livingroom floor with a kitten... take the kitten away.. pick them both up.. stick them back in the office.. and wait till she comes back again. It was a rather interesting night. Oddly enough the one she always seemed to pick up first didn't turn out quite right in the head when he grew up.

Sorry for the little one you had to put down. They'll all be much safer though if you keep her as confined as possible untill they can wander around on their own.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts