Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... Loreta and the kitties have been living in the boy's room for 3 weeks and a half. My kids spend alternate weeks with me and their mommy. So, from these 3 1/2 weeks, he has only slept in the room one week and now is sleeping this one (that is the half).
Last night kids were on their bathroom preparing for bed and the wife and I were downstairs still at the table talking. This is to say we can't get the details. The boy says that Loreta attacked him without reason. She grabbed his leg and bit into it near the shin bone. The boy has 4 holes, one for each teeth... I still tried to make him think what was happening, any body language clues, whatever, but he is too focused on saying he did nothing and she attacked without reason.

My wife thinks this is because Loreta sees the boy as an intruder in "her" room. So, amidst many "I told you so, we should have done this long ago, I never liked cats in the bedrooms", we moved everything to the basement room adjacent to my office, because it has some natural light (which the old maternity room in the basement didn't have). The kitties seem like they don't care with the change. But Loreta is very unhappy. Spent some hours in the night going to the rooms' doors meowing and scratching the doors.

Although I did the bulk of the move, Loreta doesn't seem mad at me. As she heard me open the room door in the morning she came to greet and purred while I petted her, as she always does.

But I'm worried about this attack. Is my wife right? Or could it have been something else? The kids were brushing teeth and doing lots of noise, as they always do when they are not mesmerized by the TV/PC/mobile. I'm afraid my kids will start to fear Loreta too... Any idea on how to avoid more attacks, please?

·
Registered
290 Posts
So... Loreta and the kitties have been living in the boy's room for 3 weeks and a half. My kids spend alternate weeks with me and their mommy. So, from these 3 1/2 weeks, he has only slept in the room one week and now is sleeping this one (that is the half).
Last night kids were on their bathroom preparing for bed and the wife and I were downstairs still at the table talking. This is to say we can't get the details. The boy says that Loreta attacked him without reason. She grabbed his leg and bit into it near the shin bone. The boy has 4 holes, one for each teeth... I still tried to make him think what was happening, any body language clues, whatever, but he is too focused on saying he did nothing and she attacked without reason.

My wife thinks this is because Loreta sees the boy as an intruder in "her" room. So, amidst many "I told you so, we should have done this long ago, I never liked cats in the bedrooms", we moved everything to the basement room adjacent to my office, because it has some natural light (which the old maternity room in the basement didn't have). The kitties seem like they don't care with the change. But Loreta is very unhappy. Spent some hours in the night going to the rooms' doors meowing and scratching the doors.

Although I did the bulk of the move, Loreta doesn't seem mad at me. As she heard me open the room door in the morning she came to greet and purred while I petted her, as she always does.

But I'm worried about this attack. Is my wife right? Or could it have been something else? The kids were brushing teeth and doing lots of noise, as they always do when they are not mesmerized by the TV/PC/mobile. I'm afraid my kids will start to fear Loreta too... Any idea on how to avoid more attacks, please?
I have to wonder if Loreta really did attack with no reason, or not. I am not saying your boy is lying, but there are things that could have happened, or that he could have done inadvertently, that could set her off. And I also know that on occasion a kid will say they did nothing when they did do something, even if the something was not in any way intended to be annoying to the animal, because they don't want to get into trouble, and that might be the case here.

When I was a young child, we always had cats and I can remember a couple of times I got scratched or bitten when it was my own fault because I tried something with the cat, never meaning to cause harm, and the cat reacted in a predictably bad way. I say predictably from my viewpoint now, but I didn't know that back then.

Having a good healthy and cheerful talk with the boys about what kinds of things might set off a cat or make her feel threatened might be in order here. Not accusing, just informing. And after that I think if this were my home, I'd let it go and not worry. You have moved the cat and the kittens, and it probably won't happen again. If it did, then further investigation into the reasons for it would certainly be in order, but my guess is that this was a misunderstanding on both parts. These things happen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today during lunch I had a calm talk with them and got a description of events... The kitties had escaped the boy's room and were all exploring the bathroom. Loreta was in the middle of the bathroom overseeing it all, sitting in the sphynx position (that I see as a "ready to jump" position). The girl was brushing teeth when the boy entered.
He stopped looking at the kitties, then he looked at Loreta. He was about to turn to the sink to brush his teeth when she jumped. During this "looking at" both boy and girl were talking loud and laughing and pointing to the kitties as they are soooo cute when exploring, jumping, falling, always fighting each other, etc.

The bathroom, if we exclude the area occupied by the bathtub and the furniture, has maybe 5 square meters of clean floor. Not much space for 4 kitties, 1 mommy cat and two noisy kids...

I guess the above description will be the best we can get out of the kids. So, I followed your advice and talked with them about behaving in a manner a mommy may see threatening to her or the kitties, about paying attention to body language and backing off when she looks more "alert" and about not making so much noise near the kitties (it startles them). I hope this will be enough. 🙏 🤞

Thank you for taking some time on this, @Mosi !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts