Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this from a friend. Question: What song contains the words, "The Ants Are My Friends?"

The Ants Are My Friends
Have you ever been told that you have been incorrectly singing the lyrics to one of your favorite songs? If you’re like us, it happens all the time! This phenomenon is called a mondegreen, and is among the new words being added to the 2008 update of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate® Dictionary, Eleventh Edition. The term means "a word or phrase that results from a mishearing of something said or sung." For example, many folks think Jimi Hendrix is singing "excuse me while I kiss this guy," instead of the actual lyric, "excuse me while I kiss the sky."
http://www.merriam-webster.com/#news_1

Another mondegreen is "Olive the other reindeer"

The origin of the word, from Wikipedia:

Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
Oh, where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl Amurray, [sic]
And Lady Mondegreen.
The actual fourth line is "And laid him on the green." As Wright explained the need for a new term, "The point about what I shall hereafter call mondegreens, since no one else has thought up a word for them, is that they are better than the original."

Other examples [Ms] Wright suggested are:

Surely Good Mrs. Murphy shall follow me all the days of my life ("Surely goodness and mercy…" from Psalm 23)
The wild, strange battle cry "Haffely, Gaffely, Gaffely, Gonward." ("Half a league, half a league,/ Half a league onward," from "The Charge of the Light Brigade") [/quote]

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Another example:

There's a bathroom on the right...

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I'm embarrassed to admit this one. You know the song Night Moves by Bob Seger. The line is "way up firm and high," referring to the girl's cleavage. I thought he was saying "Way up at Furman High," like it was Mark Furman High School. Now that's way before we knew who Mark Furman was, so I guess this must have been his father, Irving R. Furman. :lol:

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
In this digital age, we have no more excuses for mondegreens. I continue to be amazed at actually hearing and understanding the lyrics I thought I knew but had wrong to the songs of the sixties I can now hear in remastered and digitally-enhanced clarity on oldies radio.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Tell me about it, Tim. I happened to catch REO Speedwagon live on Soundstage by accident on PBS the other morning and the stuff was note for note, and I was like "man it's like its not even the same SONG." I heard in the 70's.

:lol:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
James Taylor singing "goodnight my sweet Lady Jane". I even named my dear, sweet kitty Lady Jane after that lyric, only to find out, 20 years later, that he actually said "goodnight my sweet baby James"!

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Someone shaved my wife tonight, sugar bear....

Something in the way she moos...

Blew out my flip-flop, stepped in a cow flop...

It doesn't make a difference if we're naked or not....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

Someone saved my life tonight, sugar bear...

Something in the way she moves..

Blew out my flip flop, stepped on a pop top

Doesn't make a difference if we make it or not

:)

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I was but a mere teen, I had my RECORD PLAYER on - ya'll remember what those are don't you? Anyway, I was listening to Barry Manilow - DON'T LAUGH. Anyway, I was humming along, and my younger brother walked through he house singing.....

"Looks like ta-may-tas...." Meaning, "Looks like we made it...."

In the South, this is how we say tomatoes - - tamay-tas.

OK, you guys can laugh at our Southern'ness now.........

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or the alternative....Looks like we mated

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
catnip said:
Tell me about it, Tim. I happened to catch REO Speedwagon live on Soundstage by accident on PBS the other morning and the stuff was note for note, and I was like "man it's like its not even the same SONG." I heard in the 70's.

:lol:
Even if I can hear and understand the lyrics, it's just not the same thing, is it. By improving on it, they alter the original, and in altering the original, they mess with my memories. And another thing, when "Louie Louie" was supposed to have risque lyrics but nobody could understand them, there was more of an air of lascivious intrigue that held particular fascination for 16-year-olds. It's kind of like the bathing suit...once you've seen what's under there, they're just not quite as erotic anymore.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That old religious favorite, "The Constipated Cross-Eyed Bear".

Or my favorite line, "Salivate, salivate, dance to the music."

·
Registered
5,074 Posts

That killed me HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Those 'other' Jersey guys...Livin' on a Prayer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts