Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, Peanut ate some string and was vomiting so I took her to the vet. She is never very "nice" to him, but at her spay in Feb she was a bit better. Well today................. :twisted:

I didnt recognize this cat!! This cat who lets me put my nose in her mouth if I want, we cuddle, we play, she is an angel to me and my hubby, nice to strangers and gets along great with the new pet sitter......

She hissed at the vet, was foaming at the mouth, screaming, howling, growling, you name it! She fought tooth and nail and he finally had to cover her in a blanket to examine her.

I don't want to sound like a parent in disbelief at the teacher conference but this isn't how she is at home at all!

Does she just not like the vet? do you think she has some kind of personality disorder and will try to kill me in my sleep one day? After this last visit I'm a bit scared of her, even though, I repeat she has enver laid a paw on me.

Anyway else have an angel turn into a devil at the Vet's?? :oops:

·
Registered
27 Posts
You may want to try DAP spray next time you take devil-kitty to the vet. You can spray it in the waiting room and in the exam room to calm her down. You can check it out on www.healthypets.com and do a search for DAP diffuser, but you can probably buy it at Petco.

My Mom had a devil-kitty. He had to actually be put under anesthesia just to get him out of the carrier! I think they had to use some sort of gas or something to make him sleepy. Poor kitty. He was a maniac at the vet and he weighed about 19 pounds too!

·
Registered
282 Posts
My Lucky kitty turns into Devil-cat at the vet. The first time she went she was so sweet, but since her spay she absolutely hates the vet. At home she is the sweetest cat I've ever met, all snuggles and purrs.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Frosty is just the same. He was fine at the vet's office until he's been neutered..Ever since then, every time we had to go there - it was a rage. He even bit me - I guess he saw everybody that were making him stay there his enemy. It must have felt pretty bad after the surgery ..thank goodness we only have to go once a year from now on.
Although I dread the day Cheerio will have to be spayed...oh well, I guess I will have to check out the spray :roll: (thanks for the suggestion!)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm not sure if this is just amature psycology or not, but isn't it the same with children when you take them to the dentist or the doctor. Even if it doesn't hurt at all, they get all tense, they scream and yell and everyone nearby might believe you are a child abuser from all the racket?

I think animals (especially cats) are very sensitive for your own tensions. Even when it comes to a pet, I think we are sending out signals about what might await them, and they react on our reactions.

Not the easiest thing to do though, to not be a bit tense oneself when taking the cat to the vet. They pick up on that and "act out", just like a child would do. They can't say "I wanna go home! I'm afraid" like most kids can, well at least those who's large enough to speak.

I also dread to take my kittens to the vet, I hate doctors of all types and I'm afraid they will pick up on that. I probably have to let hubby take them, he's the cool one and not afraid of anything.

Ok, enough of my amature psycology.

The idea with DAP spray seem cool. I'm going to see if I can find it in our Pet store, or I'll find somewhere to order it online.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I would love to offer advice, but this sounds exactly like Velvet at the vet. I am only glad it's just once a year. :oops:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I didn't know some cats get so crazy at the vets. My cats like going in the carrier and going for a car ride. But ever since Sugar had her hip surgery and I had to keep taking her back, she meows alot now when I take her there and come back, I don't blame her, they do poke and prod her alot. :wink:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
They love Punky at the vet, she's so well-behaved.

I'm not so sure they like Elly much. :wink: She's a spoiled brat, so she's a terror at the vet, not quite as bad as Peanut, but still pretty bad.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Oh I know! Chibi is so sweet but when we take him to the vet or pet saloon he hisses sometimes and once even went to claw the vet. I think it may be because kitties get nervose or maybe smell other cats and don't feel like they aren't the main "scent" there. Already marked all over... *shrugs* I think its really normal and you shouldn't be afraid of your sweety :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! Nice to hear I'm not alone. And yes I'll be the first to admit she is extremely spoiled, not only is she the only cat in the house but she's the baby, also as someone said she's not used to smelling other animal smells much...

I have to admit I was a bit guarded around her for an hour or so after that hellish visit, but she slept in the crook of my arm last night and we're all good now :lol:

Now I just have to worry about our impending plane ride with her... :oops:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
As a vet, I am very aware of these kitties; in fact I had one just yesterday!

Some cats are just like that; it's actually a fear reaction. Rescue Remedy for a day or two before and several times the day of the appointment can help a lot, but still a lot of cats are quite violent at the vet's. A rare few even require sedation in order to be examined. However, once they've had this reaction, chances are they will be like that from now on.

DAP is for dogs; the feline version is Feliway. Spraying it in the carrier before putting the cat in can help quite a bit.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
305 Posts
That would be Little Guy.

I thought I had seen it all! He had a reaction to one of the shots he got at his 1 yr checkup. He was FINE for his 1 yr checkup. He had the reaction, and it put the fear of God in me........because he wasn't himself, the invisible things were chasing him, he was shaking his head.......very upsetting for me, and him. I called the vet, she thought things were ok, but that I could bring him in the following day, which we did. They were busy, and tried squeezing him in.......between visits. We ended up waiting a long time in the office, then again in the exam room. The longer we waited, the more figidity he became. Then the tech came in............... a short female with a helium-like sound in her voice....and WHAM! I NEVER EVER EVER in my life saw anything that frightened me like my own little Wittle. He doesn't like high pitched child-like voices to begin with. He hissed, spit, growled you name it. Vet tech goes to get the falconer's glove and returns with the vet. This was a VERY tall female, one of the vets Little had never seen before, and my poor cat went ballistic. :shock: :shock: :shock:

The vet was more interested in getting his temp (rectally) then feeling the lump on the back of his neck. After much sweet talking, coaxing, etc. out came the towel and they got his temp. But once the thermometer was removed, Wittle jumped from under the blanket on the exam table to the counter, and then STRAIGHT UP the concrete block wall. He was literally 4 concrete blocks higher than the top of the paper towel dispenser. He landed on some metal lidded containers, stuff went crashing, my gf Kathy screamed if he was ok.

I was shaking in my shoes. I was afraid he was hurt, and afraid to touch him, as he was growling and spitting at me now too. He got back over to the exam table on his own, and put his feet together, stood sideways with his back arched and tail puffed out. He was looking bigger than a turkey with it's tail feathers spread out.

I am getting goosebumps just remembering all of this. I don't know if they will even let him back in there! The vet got him back in the carrier, never did examine his lump, and finally exclaimed "there's nothing on his chart about acting like this". We were glad to get out of there..............ALIVE.............as was that poor Little Guy.

I swear this all true, and I am absolutlely dreading his NEXT check-up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My previous cat, Rom, was one of the sweetest most gentle kitties you could meet. However, from his first visit to the vet, he let them know that he didn't like them, and as far as he was concerned they weren't taking him alive. The vet said he was incorrigible, and insisted that he was more feral than domestic. Following any trip to the vet, when we'd get him home and open his carrier, he'd dash out and disappear under the bed or behind a piece of furniture. He wouldn't venture out to eat, and apparently saved all of his litter box needs until we were asleep or out of sight. He'd be that way for a couple of days, and would then come out to make peace. He'd rub against us or get on our laps, as if he was so glad to see us. We continued using the same vet whenever needed and for his checkups, always with the same results.

As he neared the end, I hated to put him through that. So, I found a vet that operated a mobile cat service. When the vet came into the house and was checking him over, he acted like she was an old friend. He hissed once when she used the thermometer, but calmed right down. I had told her that our prior vet had said he was incorrigable, but, even after taking him out to her mobile van for blood tests and such, she said he was an awful sweet kitty and a perfect gentleman. I was so relieved to find an alternative to taking him to the vet and putting him through that.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I'm really glad that their was an easier alternative for Rom! I can't imagine how stressful his last time with you would have been if he'd had to go to the vet each time.

My cat Lucas has become more terrible each time we go to the vet. The last time, he growled the whole entire time we were there, without stopping! He hid his head in my cardigan the whole time we were in the clinic. When his brother jumped into my lap, Lucas hissed and swiped at him. Then when he had to get on the table for the exam, he hissed and swiped at me! It was frightening because he had never done that before.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My cats are so freaking social. They see vet trips as an exciting outing, and jump right in the carrier as soon as I bring it out. I'm sure they'll learn as they get older that the vet is not fun, but for now we think it's so funny how much they seem to not mind going. Crazy cats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tiger, also goes wild at the vets- it takes four people to hold him just to sedate him so that they can check him over. I decided to give another vet a go (after 6 years) and he fine with the new vet- he actually got out of his basket and went up to her. I no longer have to worry about the £35 sedation fee just for him to be checked over.

charlie

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
That's a good idea to try another vet, I bet you are so relieved to have him do so much better at his new vet!
I used to take Velvet to a cat-only vet and she did very well, not perfect but she didn't pitch a complete fit. Unfortunately the cat-only vet left the area. I wonder if the sight and smells of dogs are part of the reason she goes so nuts now?? I just wish I could tell her she goes much more ballistic than any dog I have ever seen there. :roll:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Once the vet starts touching Twinkie's butt area or anywhere else for that matter he keeps growling. He has this low growl and keeps doing it and they cannot check his heart of anything b/c he keeps making that noise. Besides that he sheds like crazy when he is nervous and this vet has a small carpeted room which drives me crazy.....hasn't lashed out though. :D

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
MONSTER at the vet

Jimmy is the other way round. He won't let US do anything at all to him - not even brush him. When we put the flea treatment on him he acted like he was being murdered.
But at the vet's, he is SO good. He hardly even flinches at the thermometer, though he does look a bit surprised :shock: I think it's cos the vet is kind but firm, whereas partner and I are too dithery and gentle with him!
The first time he went to the vet, she left the room to get some scissors. Jimmy jumped off the table and had a little explore of her office. He got up on some shelves, then he jumped in her wash basin. I was just standing there helplessly, cos we'd only had him about a week and I was still a bit tentative with him. I was just feebly saying 'Jimmy, get out of the vet's sink' - and he was ignoring me :lol:
But then he jumped back on the examining table just before she came back in the room, and was good as gold. I didn't tell on him :lol:

seashell

1 - 20 of 22 Posts