Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone spends on food per month for your cats. I have three cats two I switched to grain free wet ones of grain free dry.

Combined the two eats 2 5.5 oz cans per day... Cans averaging about 1.75 per can. Sometimes more (rarely less). This ends up being around $220 a month. That seems outrageously high. That's not including the third cat who is on dry(her dry costs $30 every few months).

I can't keep this up. I recently chipped my tooth bad and need to fix it soon. Don't have insurance so this is going to cost me... Also bills are adding up so I will need to cut way back in the cat food department. Any suggestions for a cheaper grain free wet?

I am in Canada so the prices are higher here. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
My two are on grain free canned (a rotation of brands/flavors) and I spend about 120.00 - 140.00 a month on food (not including their Feliway refill, disposal bags, and litter). I also spend an extra 15-20 for their quail (one per cat per week).

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My two are on grain free canned (a rotation of brands/flavors) and I spend about 120.00 - 140.00 a month on food (not including their Feliway refill, disposal bags, and litter). I also spend an extra 15-20 for their quail (one per cat per week).
See that's more like it. I have no idea why mine is double. Doesn't make sense. Might be because the brands I get can only be found in certain shops (expensive stores). Yesterday I got a few 5.5 oz cans that were over $3 :s. I'll have to be more carefully and shop around before I grab a bunch of cans.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you buy the biggest can you can get it will end up being cheaper. I wish more brands made the 13 oz cans. I'm not sure how much the cat food comes out to because I buy dogfood and misc stuff at the same time usually, but I'd guess $130/month. I spent $207 last month but that included frontline, and $80 so far this month but that is cat and dog food and a kong zoom groom, and I'll have to buy more cans later on.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't seen many of the big cans in the brands I get. I only see it in the regular wellness not wellness core too. Also how long does it stay good for? They will only get the same flavour once every few days.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Are you feeding each cat 2 cans per day? Unless they're kittens that's a whole lotta food. Typically an average cat eats one can per day.

One way to save money is to buy larger cans (12-13 oz).

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well let's see.

A 16lb bag of Petcurean Go! Fit + Free is $50.99 and it lasts 2 to 3 months usually.

I go through about 8lbs of litter a month and the World's Best 8lb bag is usually $9-10 but I usually find coupons. I just recently bought 10 bags because I had $5 off coupons.

I buy a couple bags of EVO Wild Cravings treats. I've stopped giving her as many treats but I think my grandmother uses them as bribes to get her off the dining room table. They're like $3 a bag. Next time I go to a pet store, I'm going to try to find different treats. She will only eat the chicken/turkey and weight management EVO treats. She won't touch the herring/salmon.

I would guess that I spend about $80 every 3 months.

Can you buy the 13oz EVO 95% cans? They seem to be very cheap for how much you get. One can would feed both cats for a day and then some.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I don't lose sleep over feeding low and high quality food, I feed what they eat... I still feed some low quality food too. I'd rather they eat something than starve. Blaze didn't like the majority of high quality food I tried him on unless it was fish, which bugged me as it's expensive and fish isn't the best for them. Sometimes he'd eat it, other times not touch it.

I also tried getting the larger tins to save money.

So that left: 13 oz EVO 95% Chicken (1.89), 13 oz Felidae Chicken (1.79) and sometimes 13 oz Felidae grain free fish (1.89), 5.5 oz Solid Gold Chicken/Turkey/Whitefish/Liver (1.59) ... sometimes I buy Go! at 1.49+ for 5.5 oz, sometimes I buy EVO 95% Beef (1.89), sometimes BFF Tuna/Chicken and Tuna/Pumpkin, sometimes other things too. But I find a lot of those 'sometimes' foods are hit and miss, plus they're usually the smaller tins, which means I'm paying around 1.50+ for 5.5 oz tins that they may not like... a total waste. I'm still left with 6 13 oz California Natural tins when they unanimously decided to stop eating it.

Also, I feed Friskies. They've done well on it for 10+ years. Blaze has eaten it his entire life, and if he wants it at 16 years old I'm not about to say no now... those tins are .85-1.10 for the 13 oz versions.

They eat around 6 oz every day, so one large tin every day. Sometimes more due to a feral cat or two sneaking Blacky's share. And add in taxes at 12% ... a rough guess at 100 a month?

They also get Now kibble, after sampling several other brands (Chicken Soup, Origen, Go in every flavor they make, Arcana) Blaze devoured it faster than any of them. It costs 35.99 for an 8 lb bag and lasts a few months.

·
Registered
716 Posts
THis is something I prefer not to think about lol

But i spend about $30/case and I go through maybe a case a week? That is for 3 cats and one 4month old kitten.

I buy either Innova Cat & Kitten or EVO, both in the 13 oz cans.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I like wellness but I don't feed it every day either. Going by the philosophy that any wet is better than dry, I mix in some mid range wet food. I recently got a really good deal on Authority (petsmart brand), $.40 per 5.5oz can plus a coupon buy 10 cans get 2 free, so that's in my rotation for now. I also keep a bag of dry in case anyone is being picky or if I need to stretch out my cans. I get wellness core if I can, but I recently bought a bag of authority dry too.

·
Registered
804 Posts
As people have mentioned, the EVO 95% big cans are a good deal, and Wellness CORE doesn't come in big cans, but some of the regular wellness are grain free (look for the yellow triangle on the can that says grain free) and come in big cans.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I feed my cats 8 different brands, 4 of them have 13oz cans (around $3) and 4 are 5.5oz cans (around $2). They get one raw food meal out of the daily 3 meals. They finish a 13oz can or two 5.5oz cans in 2.5 days. The raw food from grocery is really cheap. I will put the cost at 60-70 CAD for two cats per month :)

·
Banned
603 Posts
I tried to buy "the good" food when I had just Mia. Went through several and she disliked them. When I got Mac I decided I just could not do it anymore as I'm on a very limited income. As it turns out Mia will only eat Mac's kitten food which is Purina kitten chow. So I am buying a 14lb bag every other month for the 2 of them (Mia 1 1/2 years and Mac 4 months) at $14.99. So $7.50 a month. All my cats in the past have eaten Purina too. None of them ever had health problems.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I feed prey model (also called frankenprey) raw.

50 lbs chicken necks - $30
30 lbs chicken gizzards - $15
30 lbs chicken hearts - $15
15 lbs chicken liver - $8
40 lbs beef heart - $52
40 lbs pork - $60
40 lbs turkey - $56
15 lbs beef kidney - $16

Also add in 2 cases Grreat Choice Poultry Platter - $20

$272 per month to feed 30 cats. Seven of them supplement their diets with what the catch - three of them, however, rarely hunt.

-----------------------------------

$9 to feed one of them for a month.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you feeding each cat 2 cans per day? Unless they're kittens that's a whole lotta food. Typically an average cat eats one can per day.

One way to save money is to buy larger cans (12-13 oz).
Hmmm I posted earlier today but it didn't post... Anyways, no no, I was talking for 2 cats, so a total of 1 can per day each.

I am just very wary about the large cans as they will love a food and go nuts for it, then a few days later I will feed it again and they will sniff it and look at me like "I'm not going near that". So if I get cans that large it will probably be wasted. I'm already having trouble finding ones they will eat because as I said they change their minds so quickly.

I also have to stick to grain free because one of my cats has grain sensitivity, which is the whole reason I switched two to wet to begin with (the other one eats it too) or else I would have kept feeding the same as the third picky cat.

Guess I will just have to shop around and look online for bargins.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I feed 4 cats and 1 foster kitten. The foster kitten gets a whole can a day of kitten pro-plan and she'll eat dry food with the adults when they eat. Jason is on a medicated food (which works wonders on the poor guy) and his food costs me 35$ for 60lb bag. Snowball, Spookie, and Deenah love Pro Plan cat food. Snowball, Spookie, and Jason share two cans of soft food in addition to their dry. Sometimes I'll get cat food donated (meow mix, alley cat) which goes to the feral colonies, but I won't hesitate to mix purina in with their pro-plan as it's the same company, similar ingredients, and my cats do well on it. I spend around 100 bucks in a month and a half.

I also tried the Natural Premium Holistic Healthy Dog and Cat Food - Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul one month, it cost me about a dollar a pound in the food. It appealed to me because of the first five ingredients Chicken, chicken liver, salmon, turkey, duck. It gave all of my cats diarrhea though so I didn't get it again.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Since my Razzle died of kidney failure i switched Geets to wellness grainfree, Evo, Instinct, BB, etc. I spend about $60 to $70. He only eats wet food. Neither of them liked dry so i took it away.

Kathy

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Anyways, no no, I was talking for 2 cats, so a total of 1 can per day each.
Then I don't know how you calculate that it's $220 a month.

2 cans per day x 30 days = 60 cans

60 x $1.75 = $105

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Hmmm I posted earlier today but it didn't post... Anyways, no no, I was talking for 2 cats, so a total of 1 can per day each.

I am just very wary about the large cans as they will love a food and go nuts for it, then a few days later I will feed it again and they will sniff it and look at me like "I'm not going near that". So if I get cans that large it will probably be wasted. I'm already having trouble finding ones they will eat because as I said they change their minds so quickly.

I also have to stick to grain free because one of my cats has grain sensitivity, which is the whole reason I switched two to wet to begin with (the other one eats it too) or else I would have kept feeding the same as the third picky cat.

Guess I will just have to shop around and look online for bargins.
Have you tried heating it up after the can has been in the fridge? Joy would snuff her canned food after it was no longer fresh. We soon learned that she just doesn't like it cold! :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've been feeding my cat Wellness grain-free, rotating flavors, and buying cases of the 12oz cans. With coupons I've managed to get the cases for around 24 a pop, so 2 bucks a can. He eats about 2 cans in 3 days so its around 40$/month for one cat.

I do like the idea of rotating brands so hopefully I'll find another wet food he likes that's a bit cheaper so I can save a bit more cash :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts