Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
MooMoo, 11months
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MooMoo doesn't typically door dash but when she see's a squirrel or some other animal smaller than her moving while someone is going out or coming in through the door she rushed out. If she doesn't catch whatever she set her eyes on she realizes that she's outside and makes a run for it. Today I found that when she does catch her prey she will run back inside put it on the floor and make a mess inside. She caught a Texas spiny lizard and would drop it, catch it, then drop it again. We eventually caught it with a tongs and let it outside. Update on leash training: I took her on a kids rolley cart with netting on top so she could have room to move but she gets spooked too easily with the neighbors pulling in their trashcans, people walking up to us, and cars approaching even if we aren't anywhere near her so she just runs. I have a feeling it'll be the same reaction on a leash but she'll probably wiggle out of the leash to run. I'm thinking of getting a cat backpack to carry her easier or maybe get a great dane dog cage to make a mini catio.

·
Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
227 Posts
My cats occasionally bring lizards into our home... usually I can separate the animals and rescue the lizard by taking it outside and putting it near cover (brush). Some lizards don't make it... just the way it is with cats. I wish they'd leave the lizards & wild birds alone and focus upon rodents, but again, how do ya keep a cat from being a cat? And I'm not gonna lock mine up, they enjoy being outside... so the lizards & birds take their chances as well, especially with Tiger, who is the best hunter of all four cats. I've seen that darned Tiger fly clear over the birdbath while leaping to attack a bird, though that particular bird escaped in a small cloud of feathers.

Which somehow reminds me: I haven't seen Fathead in several weeks, I reckon Bear scared him off (they're both tomcats) and now Fathead is eating at the neighbor's place down the block, but he may have simply crawled off to die somewhere, he was certainly getting old. He may be fine too, I'm keeping an eye out for him whenever I drive through the 'hood. If it was his time, at least I got to show him some love & affection beforehand. He sure was a goofy cat, but I know he was getting old... he walked kinda funny too, like he had arthritis or something. Hopefully he's still okay, just too tired of dealing with Bear, who is younger & stronger.

Enough thread-jacking for now, here are a couple of shots of Crackhead on the breakfast bar, you can see his snaggletooth jutting upward, lol. Poor ol' Crackhead, he's no 'pretty boy' but I still tell him he's a magnificent cat, lol. I call him a handsome boy, even though it's a bald-faced lie... oh, well, the Great Cat Spirit will probably forgive me, same way I'll probably be forgiven for calling Fathead a handsome tiger. That ol' Fathead sure looked like 40 miles of bad road... all scruffy with that torn ear of his, the knucklehaid. He was a pretty scrappy cat, I think Bear was just too much for him, and ya know two tomcats are gonna fight... it's their nature. Anyway, here's Crackhead this morning:

IMG_3224.JPG IMG_3225.JPG IMG_3233.JPG IMG_3232.JPG

Edit: Bonus shots of Tiger & Crackhead at the main bar a moment ago.

Tiger: "Hey, Bud, I'll take a double shot of blue agave tequila! No, make that a triple!"

Crackhead: "You want Cuervo or Patron?" ;)

·
Registered
MooMoo, 11months
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aww so cute! I'm a little hesitant on letting MooMoo outside by herself because we live in a suburban neighborhood, though we do have a big yard to have her run in, she always runs lol. There are about 4 other outdoor cats on my street/near my street and I'm worried she'll get in a cat fight or steal someone's barbecue. My family thought the lizard she caught was a mouse so we were all screaming to get it out haha.

·
Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
227 Posts
Steal someone's BBQ, lol. Yeah, I understand that viewpoint when it comes to allowing the cat to roam... traffic would be my greatest worry. I bought my home for the view, that was the big selling point, but I've REALLY learned to appreciate this quiet dead-end street with very little traffic, just the neighbors and their guests. It makes SUCH a difference in the quality of life, and this terraced hillside also adds privacy, nobody is looking directly into anybody else's windows, lol. My forest home in the White Mountains was also very nice, so I've learned quite a bit about what to look for in a home, particularly with regard to its situation, the neighbors, the amount of traffic, etc. One thing's for sure: I'll NEVER go back to living in the Big City, I'm DONE with that scene, lol. Country life is just too quiet & peaceful, ya know? Suits me just fine... :)

The cats really like it here too, they love hanging out in the yard and cruising around the 'hood. Having all these terraces with brush & trees & boulders & whatnot, it's like a whole new world for the cats to explore... there's enough cover and safety available too, in case they start getting gripped. Some of the trees are quite large, like the HUGE mesquite tree back near one corner of my property... the cats love climbing all the branches of that tree, since they're easily accessible to the cats. One of these days, I'll get a photo of some cat lying atop a branch like a lion, with its legs dangling from the branch, lol. Uh-oh, Tiger just leapt atop the fridge to enter the 'cat cave' I set up in the cupboards... it's nice and cool in that cave, he's probably looking to take a nap, lol. He just came in from the yard, he has been chasing birds, the knucklehaid! :confused:

IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3242.JPG IMG_3241.JPG IMG_3249.JPG

Edit: I took a photo of the mesquite tree I mentioned, but for some reason the pic makes it look small... dunno why, the thing must be 15' or 20' high and 25' to 30' across in one direction. Meh, it's larger than it looks, and the cats love those spreading branches, they make for easy climbing. Judging by the diameter of the trunk at its base, I'd say the tree is somewhere between 100-200 years old. Only thing is, this tree is back on the far side of the fence on the southwestern corner of my property, so I only see it (or see the cats in it) when I'm in the carport or I walk round the southern end of my home. :cautious:

Further edit: I snuck a pic or two of sleepyheaded Tiger in the 'cat cave' above the fridge... all the cats love this cave, but Tiger has claimed it for now. Two cats WILL fit in there, maybe even three, but then space would be limited, lol. Looks like Tiger has messed up the shelf liner a bit, but I can straighten that out later. Does he not look comfortable? Lol, the knucklehaid!!! :sleep:

P.S. I threw in another shot just to catch the fridge magnet collection, which extends around to the left side of the fridge, lol. Ugly original wallpaper seen in cupboard was NOT my choice, lol... I didn't bother painting the interior of the cupboards, we're bourgeois when it comes to painting cabinet interiors, lol. Again, I don't hear the cats complaining!!! So ugly wallpaper it is!!! [Inside the cabinets, I mean.] ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts