Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

Okay, here's the situation. A couple of weeks ago, this stray kitty started showing up in my neck of the neighborhood. Real scrawny thing, might have tooth problems (sometimes trouble eating we're guessing), loaded down with fleas and generally in a sad state. He's a real friendly fellow, will let you pet him, occasionally pick him up, is not afraid of people whatsoever - clearly he was someone's kitty.

This goes on for a while, our house and the next door neighbor feeding him (her? We're not quite sure), leaving out water and generally doing what we can to help this guy get along. The neighbor even gets him a flea collar and some of the frontline spray to help control the fleas.

So we're just on the cusp of taking him in, getting him to a vet to see if he's chipped and perhaps trying to find him a good home once we take care of him a bit. But it turns out that one day the neighbor was out grooming him when a lady walked past and goes "I see you met Thomas". It turns out that the cat belongs to her daughter - who is currently in Lebanon with her husband.

The delemma is - this is really breaking my heart. The guy is clearly neglected and in need of a good home - come on, moving to Lebanon and just leaving your cat out in the wild? That aint right. But we've now confirmed that it is indeed someone's kitty. If the rolls were reversed, and it was my boy that someone abducted and arranged a good home for, I would be devastated - but then I would never let my boy get into such a sad state of disrepair!

So . . . what do I do? Do I leave him alone? Do I just keep feeding him and taking care of the fleas? Do I abduct him and find someone who will love him?

The tentative plan - if we go ahead (which we're not entirely sold on yet) is we catnap Thomas, get him to the vet to perhaps clean him up and see if he's okay (and check for chipping), keep him in the garage for a couple of weeks to get some food into him for the coming winter and keep an eye out if "Help! My cat is lost" posters go up around the neighborhood. If nothing develops on that front, either see if we can integrate him into the household or find him someone who will love him.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why would someone move to a different country without making arrangements for the cat? Did the lady who's daughter moved say whether someone was given the responsibility? To be honest if your cat is riddled with fleas and generally in a poor state you're not going to bother putting up posters. Plus you'd put a collar and id tag... X

I would go ahead with your plan... At least you know he is being looked after and not in the wild fighting all sorts to get some food... And at least you will be able to give him proper care... Worming, checking his jabs etc... Good luck! Xxx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Why would someone move to a different country without making arrangements for the cat?
Unless her arrangements were "Here mom, look after my cat. Bye!" - but yeah, this seemed a very poor attempt on their part.

Did the lady who's daughter moved say whether someone was given the responsibility?
No idea - and I'm not one to speculate since I'd be playing a game of Chinese whispers at that point. The scenario comes from my roommate who was talking to the neighbor who ran into the mother. You can see how The Facts might get confused. . . .

I would go ahead with your plan... At least you know he is being looked after and not in the wild fighting all sorts to get some food... And at least you will be able to give him proper care... Worming, checking his jabs etc... Good luck! Xxx
Well, there's one vote of confidence. Keep the input coming guys - it'll probably be a couple of days before we can actually capture the slippery lil' fella.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i would continue to take care of the kitty while at the same time trying to get in touch with that mother again to confirm what the story is. it could be that if you offer to take the kitty in as your own or something, she and her daughter who's in lebanon (leaving your kitty behind like this?) might actually be REALLY relieved to have a savior step in. they are most likely just extremely ignorant about how to care for a cat. the world is full of them unfortunately. probably more than you can even imagine...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think you are right to take him in. Take him to the vet, and explains how he was neglected and so on. If he isn't chipped and you provide health care to him, I don't think they have any claim over him, and could possibly be guilty of neglect.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
It looks as though you ahve becoem the real carer anyway, by default so I don't think you'd be doing wrong. I might make one more effort with the mother though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Catnap him. Been right there many times. First time, I gave it a lot of thought. But I did it. Second time, again, I thought about it for too long. But this time I was late. I will never forgive myself for that. So now, no half measures.

That's my vote, catnap him. Good luck with everything, you're a great person for doing this for an abandoned kitty.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I say, take him. I don't think they would care or even notice. He deserves a better life than the one he has been getting from that family. Good luck and thank for caring about him.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Any person who lets a cat be in that kind of poor health should not be allowed to have a cat. If that were a child, social services would of been called by now. Any cat that wanders thru my yard in poor shape technically becomes mine!

Do not even tell the woman you have him. Take him to the vet, back home and into your heart! And that where he should stay!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, on the flipside, my mother promised me she would take excellent care of my Morse while I was on a detail (4 month temp promotion) in a different city. I dropped him off, showed her how much I feed him, how to play with his toys, what he likes to do (mostly watch TV with the humans) and where he likes to sleep. I also told her to keep the box clean and to call me immediately if his normal urine amount changes (he goes up in volume at the beginning when he starts to get cystitis). It seemed like the perfect solution because no one wanted a short term lease (rental wise) and I was hesitant to board him because he was in the shelter and I was afraid he'd remember that and think I wasn't coming back, and he wasn't allowed in the housing my department came up with for me.
Long story short, I found out my mom was locking him in the laundry room, not cleaning his box (enough that he peed in his OWN bed) and feeding him crap. Though he was not mistreated by the ASPCA's eyes, in my own eyes it was. I have since retrieved him and am living in a motel with my baby. However, I'd have been angry if someone catnapped my cat. Don't do the passive aggressive thing. Communicate. Let the mom know you're worried that the cat is not getting the care it needs. Ask her if you can take over care of the cat to ensure that its getting proper nutrition and care it deserves. If you don't eventually it will come back to bite you, as cats LOVE to sit in windows. Communicate!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Get the cat and keep him in your house. Make sure he won't jump any windows so she won't see him.

I hope you find him a good home.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As good as your intentions are, you can also be charged with Petty Theft (the unlawful taking of someone else's property with the intention of keeping it permanently)-

In California, a conviction for petty theft is punishable by imprisonment for up to six months in county jail, or by a fine of one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both a fine and imprisonment. See California Penal Code Section 490.

Granted, I'm not a lawyer but it still sounded scary to me - this happened to a neighbor of mine (with a dog though, even though it was running at large) and cost her a bunch in lawyer fees.
I'd get someone else involved if you don't want to talk to the mother, perhaps the county animal control so you don't get slapped with something ridiculous if it becomes a problem. Go through the right channels.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'm guilty of catnapping! I've taken two cats from my neighborhood that were not being taken care of......meaning they were left to
roam the neighborhood getting into fights, flea infested, and way too thin. Their owners simply didn't care enough to take care of
them. I was able to get them into my cat carrier and had my vet neuter them, and treat them for whatever else they needed.

They went into foster care with other families and both found good homes within a few months
so I am happy with the outcome. I don't feel the least bit bad for moving these boys to a better home!

·
Registered
157 Posts
My first thought would be to take him, they are clearly not taking good care of him. Is there a chance you could ask this woman what's going on with him? Maybe she really doesn't want him, sure sounds like it. She might even be relieved that he has found a good home. I also wouldn't wait too long on this, he is being clearly being neglected and in need of a good home!
Sally

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check the laws where you live. Here in England, cats are considered wild animals, and therefore there's no property over them. If you cat decides to go to someone else's house and stay there, you have no claim over the cat..

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
To expand.

If you saw a child being hit by it's parent in the supermarket, would you
1) steal the child when said parent isn't looking and claim it as your own
or
2) call the relevant authorities.

Catnapping is stealing, and I would never ever condone it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think if they put it outside and aren't taking care of it, they don't care, they'll probably be relieved if it disappears, if they even notice. My guess is when they put it out permanently, they were hoping it would go away. Otherwise they would be taking care of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts