Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I posted a week or so ago about getting a second cat/kitten and have more questions. We will be ready to adopt at the end of April. To sum it up, our current cat, Willow, will be 2 years old in September. She is very friendly, a little timid with new people though, and likes to play but also likes her peace and quiet. I wouldn't say she is an alpha type cat at all. She is home alone a lot during the day, and our home is generally very calm- no kids and few visitors.

Anyway, a lot of people have said to opt for a kitten because they are less threatening, but some have said to get an adult cat of similar age/temperament because a kitten could overwhelm her, and I could get a better sense of an adult's personality.

We were going to adopt from the shelter where we got Willow, but a friend took in a pregnant stray cat, and she had kittens about month ago and she wants me to take one. If I were to take one of these kittens, I would have to wait until they are at least 3 months- which would be the end of May (instead of April). I want Willow to be as young as possible so she will accept another animal easier... but I'm not sure 1-2 months would make a difference anyway.

I'm torn on whether to go to the shelter, which my husband and I both really like and feel sort of a loyalty to, or to get a kitten from the litter.

Do you think I'd be better off with an older kitten or adult cat from the shelter because I could match it with Willow based on termperament and the shelter volunteer's expertise and having seen the older kitten/cat interact with other cats?

Or should I go for my a kitten from the litter? I know where these kittens have been, have observed their mother, and will know that they have been socialized etc. I guess the downside is that a kitten would cost more (not sure how much vet care the friend will do that isn't 100% necessary before they are 3 months).

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for reading! Anyway, what would you do in my situation? Any suggestions or advice?

· Registered
414 Posts
I think it is completely up to you. I am thinking about getting a kitten from a lady at work who had mama and litter show up in her garage. I haven't seen them yet and I'm not for sure yet but I might get 2. Either from her or a shelter so it will have a companion. My 7 yr old son is stuck on the idea of a Bombay cat but I think any black cat will do, and she doesn't have a black one so...

· Registered
49 Posts
I recommend adopting an adult cat from your chosen shelter for three main reasons:

1) An adult with a similar character and temperament as your cat stands a good chance of peaceful existence and they may become good companions.

2) Kittens are easier to adopt out than adults. You likely are doing the greater good by adopting an adult from a shelter.

3) Do you really want a kitten. Sure they're cute and funny but raising one is no picnic for you or your cat. Plus, their personality as kittens will likely change as they mature, and often not for the better.

· Premium Member
9,121 Posts
Its hard to really know a cats personality that is in a shelter. They are stressed and its a crap shoot. If you get an adult, adopt one from a rescue that does fostering in their own home. These people know the personality of the cat since its lived and interacted with the other cats in the home. Adult cats get over looked and people go for the kittens.

Kittens are **** on wheels for the first 4 years. But adult cats are more patient with kittens. Its all a trade off in deciding which direction on going.

I had a kitten that was such a waif. Overrun by the other kittens. She was so pitiful looking. A friend took her home and she blossomed into a gorgeous cat but she is a total stinker. Everyday is issues in her exuberance for life!

There is no hard and fast plan that will work!

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. For those of you who adopted a kitten and their personality changed as they grew up, how so? We got Willow at 4 months... she is almost 2 now and less playful, but I don't think her personality really changed. Is there anything to look out for in a kitten? We like lap cats :)

My husband is set on getting an older kitten from the shelter because we got Willow there and have had so much luck with her. I go to my friend's house once a week... it is getting hard to see these baby kittens and not want to take one home!

· Registered
120 Posts
I have found in the past that my adult cats were much more accepting of a kitten than an older cat. They were much more gentle with kittens. They also adjusted to each other a lot faster. I have a 1 year old siamese and will be getting a siamese kitten late in the fall or early next spring. So my current cat will be close to 2 years old by then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.