Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morgan is a 1 year old shorthair. I also have Nikki that is an 8 year old Maine ****. Nikki has never not used the litterbox while Morgan used to pee inside the litter box but for whatever reason stopped.

We believe she was a stray before we got her. We have no idea. A shelter had her at a petsmart for adoption last January (2020) and we adopted her. She was terrified of humans and for the first month lived in an extra bedroom in the apartment we had. When she did come out she would hide.

We found out just before we moved (July 2020) that she was peeing on one of our cloth baskets that we had shoes on that was just sitting on the floor. They were smelling of cat pee horribly so we trashed them and cleaned the floor and (thankfully) got our deposit back.

We moved to my parent’s house for a few months and she would pee on the litter matt’s that we had outside the boxes. She would stop for a while when we would clean them up with enzyme cleaner and then start again. We even bought a new matt and she would do it again.
We have 2 litter boxes (well 4 now). They are covered litter boxes (all 4) though we have tried them without the tops.
We moved again in September to our current apartment and for the last 6 months she would pee on the matt outside of her litterbox. We got rid of those matt’s and changed litter boxes and now she will either pee on our bath matt (if we forget and leave the bathroom door open) or directly outside the litter boxes or right inside the door (they have steps going up to where the litter is).
We are getting sick and tired. We took her to the vet and the vet said it was a behavioral problem as she was perfectly healthy (this was 2 days ago).
We have calming spray and left on vacation for a long weekend (Thursday to Monday) and she peed everywhere. We also learned she has separation anxiety.

Could this be an anxiety issue? She does scream whenever she “loses control” (if we hold her and walk around with her or just hold her and pet her when she doesn’t want to be held).

If not anxiety, do you know what else it could be? We are at our witt’s end. We love her but can’t stand her peeing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
First, have you had her checked by a vet? this is #1. She could have a medical issue that is causing this. If she is crying out when she pees, it is painful for her, and that means there is something medically wrong. get her in for a checkup ASAP.

It sounds like your cat has anxiety, and you have moved a lot recently which always unsettles cats. If she checks out OK with the vet, you can try a few things.

If you google it, there are a lot of sites that have advice for things to try when your cat won't use the box. I have a cat who went through a period of time when he wouldn't use the box, and I got him to change and now he uses it faithfully. but there's no one-size-fits all solution.

but please, first thing, get her to a vet! It sounds to me as if she has a urinary tract infection or some other problem that can be cured with medication.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I said in my OP, I took her to the vet 2 days ago, she is fully healthy.

Calming sprays and those do not work. Moving the litterboxes do not work. It is something with territory and anxiety that is causing this and that makes it difficult.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fantastic… I say sarcastically. how do you deal with it?
Like you can’t have rugs, carpets, or anything or else the cats pee on them? Doesn’t that seem like an annoying way to live?

I get that cats can’t be trained and don’t understand but dang there has to be something… I don’t want to worry about our next apartment (this one has wood floors and brick and right now she pees on the brick so it is annoying but doesn’t matter for deposits and what not). I also don’t want to have to worry about our future home. I just want her to use the litter box like Nikki.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Could be a few reasons.....not enough litter boxes for 2 cats----you should have 3 litter boxes in different low-traffic areas, 1 on another floor if you have an upstairs. The litter itself could be the problem.....I ran into a problem recently where one of my male Devons who was always very good at using the litter boxes, suddenly decided he didn't want to urinate in them. Discovered that the problem was he didn't like the feel of the litter on his paws. I had been using a clumping litter and he was fine on that and one time bought by mistake a large bag of non-clumping littter, which was coarser in texture. When I switched back to the clumping litter, he went back to urinating in the box. Some cats don't like the smell of "scented" litter. I've had good luck in the past with other cats that starting urinating elsewhere with Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter. Cat was immediately attracted to it and used the litter box again. Gradually I weaned it off the attract litter by mixing it with other litter. Praise can also help....when you see "Morgan" use the box, tell him "good boy"!....and offer a treat. I certainly hope some of these suggestions work for "Morgan" to use the boxes again. All the best!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts