Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a mosquito in my house the past 3 days & that little bugger has bit me more than a dozen times. When I get bit the bites itch like crazy, I get raised bumps & I scratch till I bleed. I finally got her tonite (only the females bite) only because I had the lights off in the living room with just the TV on & I saw her flying around me.

Anyway, I distinctly remember when I was a kid the mosquitos were a lot larger then the current ones are & they used to always buzz around your head & you could hear their buzzing around your ears. You could always feel the bites too so at least you "knew" when you being bitten & could then slap at them.

This species is much smaller, you can't feel the bite, they don't make noise (that I know of) and don't buzz around your head.

Could this be part of the evolution process?

Just wondering (as I sit here furiously scratching my bumps).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, down here in Florida they buzz, don't buzz, big, small, and are infected with "West Nile Disease" or "Encephalitis". We have to be very, very careful. I just hate them, and they are everywhere. They will come around and give you a fine if they find standing water in something in your yard it is so bad here. I think the small ones buzz, and the big ones just hang around the walls and so forth, but I don't know. Come to think of it though, I haven't heard one in my ear like I use to when I was little. That's weird...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
They're versatile little buggers. In Ohio, I've had a heckuva time killing the few I've found, and I never feel it when they bite. Back in Minnesota, they're not nearly so sneaky. Of course, there are so dang many that they probably can't afford to be. Get in, bite, get out. No time for subversion. ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I actually havent seen any this year, which is weird. I dont even remember how big they are here :lol: But, I used to get bitten by them all the time. When we went to Minnesota though, there was one trying to get through the window :lol: And it was huge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts