Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a cat that had 5 kittens at the end of march. About 3 days ago she took 3 of the kittens off the farm and left them somwhere. We have searched eveywhere for them and have had no luck. This morning one of them wondered back home thank god. Is it normal for a mother cat to take the kittens off and leave them somewhere just after weaning? I worry she may do it again. We have many preditors (owls, fox, skunk, coons, ect...) that can get them and with them out all night with out shelter and safety I worry. Can anyone shed some light on this behavior? Thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
Could there have been something that might have caused her to move the kittens? Something that might have stressed her out? Mother cats will move their babies around if they think that they’re in danger or stressed. First-time mothers are even more anxious than others. If you are worried you might consider placing her and her babies in a room with food, water, and a litter box until you feel they are ready.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing that i can think of. I would think if she felt a need to move them she would have moved them all not just 3 of them. I should have mentioned that the kittens are about 3 months old.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The mother cat might have been taking them out to learn how to hunt, etc and after calling them to follow three came and two didn’t. At this age, the kittens are becoming more independent and not relying as much on the their mother. So are their two kittens missing? If so, I would continue searching for them because they are too young to survive on their own. Good luck and I hope you find them. There is not much you can do about all the kittens following the mother. This is simply a normal behavior for a mother cat to teach her young the tricks of the trade.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's a perfectly normal behavior. Cats move their kittens when the smell of them gets to strong. It's their instincts. It's ment to protect the kittens from predators. When the smell gets to strong, the predators can smell their way to the kittens and therefor, mama cat moves them.

I do hope you'll find them. They need human contact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts