Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I foster cats, and at the moment I have a mother cat and her six four week old kittens. We had the bed in a large cat carrier, but today we decided to move it to a large dog crate, because the kittens were getting bigger and momma needed room to stretch out. This mom cat is unique in that she is one of the very few mommas that is friendly and lets us handle her babies and pet her. She's very sweet (well, just read the rest of the story).

Tonight when I went down there I noticed that one of the kittens had pooped in the back of the dog crate. I climbed in there to clean it out, and momma threw a fit. She started attacking me (as in bushy tailed, launching herself at my arms and legs) She drew blood numerous times and actually chased me out of the room (you'd be surprised how intimidating a momma cat can be).

I went back down about a half an hour later (protected by boots, gloves, various long sleeve shirts, a couple coats, and about five pairs of pants). Momma was very friendly towards me (like she usually is), although she looked a little agitated when I took the kittens out of the kennel. When I was petting her, she would also run back to the dog crate every ten seconds or so and kinda look in.

I closed the door and put the dog crate back in the corner, because it seemed that she became angry whenever I reached into the kennel. I thought that by taking away the kennel, she wouldn't have a need to be aggressive. I made them a new bed (a folded blanket on the floor).

I was just wondering. Do mother cats sometimes become aggressive? She showed no aggression at all previous to tonight. Could it be that she was compelled to guard the new den? And if so, will taking away the old den and replacing it with one that is more out in the open help at all?

I know that there may not be any clear cut answers to this, but any input is appreciated.

And if you want to see the kittens, here's a link to a video of them! I'm actually not in this video (my mom is recording, and my little sister is the one playing with them)
kitten video!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I think that is normal behavior and it could have been triggered by several things; new place, new den and/or maybe you carried in a smell on you/your clothes that triggered her to protect her babies...?
No way of knowing, really.
Just keep showing her you are trustworthy and she should be okay. As her kittens get more mobile, she'll relax around them, but from birth to around 5-7wks, a Mamma-cat can still be very protetive of her litter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts