Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had several days during the last week or two where our temps have gotten over freezing and the snow has been melting. Today, I was out all day with my neighbor and when we got home we both noticed at the same time that there are big patches where we can actually see grass.

Now I just looked at the weather, they had been predicting a little light snow for tomorrow night....well....there's a Winter Storm Watch in effect and the snow accumulation has been changed to 4-6" by Monday morning and "additional heavy snow accumulation" during the day on Monday. Previous experience interpreting these forecasts says we're looking at a foot or so.

March is definitely coming in like a lion....

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
I've also heard rumblings that we may be in for some snow here in Georgia, too! Very odd and out of character for this area of the country. :yikes

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Snow is predicted here, too, about 150 miles east of Atlanta, give or take. Fingers crossed that we get a little accumulation so Arianwen can try out her furry "snowshoes" :p

Lisa, I hope you don't have to shovel! :yikes

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope you get some too John, less snow in the sky when it gets to us :lol:

gunterkat said:
Lisa, I hope you don't have to shovel! :yikes
Nope. When I decided to buy a house instead of a condo/townhouse, I decided that snow removal and lawn mowing were two things I was not going to do and budgeted accordingly...I had to be able to afford the house and hiring someone to do those two jobs or I couldn't buy the house. So I have someone who plows the driveway and shovels the walk/steps.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Nice! When my brother was living in Gurney(sp?), Illinois, he hired someone to plow his driveway, and use a blower on his sidewalk, too. It was well worth the money. :)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Lisa, you are getting what we just got! It's been the same thing here, warm, then cold again, then warm again, and thursday we had snow all day! Tonight we are in the negatives for temp! Now next week we are supposed to be going up in temps again, even a possible day or 2 of 50 degrees! Hang in there, it'll get better soon! It's been one odd ball winter, that's for sure!

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently we have two storms coming at us...the first one is what they had been talking about to begin with, a little light snow. Then there's a nor'easter coming up the coast...that one's going to be the dumper. Then it gets cold again for a few days, but "warms" up the end of the week...warm is mid 30's to 40.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the 'jackpot' area will be south of Boston and into Rhode Island with a forecast of 10-15". We're in the 8-12" band.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
There was snow on the ground here in G'ville! About 2" !!! :jump :wiggle :yellbounce :catmilk :kittyball

Arianwen didn't want to go out in it, though. She stepped out on the porch, looked down, shook her little hand like she had stepped in dog poo, and headed back in. I asked her why, and she said,"Cold!", :catsm

I got lots of pics, but can't post them right now 'cause of technical difficulties. :fust Look for 'em in a couple of days.

·
Registered
539 Posts
We got snow in GA!!!!!! :yikes LOL I'd say about 2 inches in the grass and on cars. I took Aramis and Daizy out in it (one at a time) and neither liked it. Aramis actually cried to go inside. Poor rotten baby! Now I'm waiting for it to freeze and then have our crazy superintendent not close schools. I don't think he's ever closed schools as long as he's had the position. I'm just worried about ice on the roads.....but the snow was pretty and I got some pics I'll put up later this week! Time to go and watch it snow some more!!!

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
gunterkat said:
There was snow on the ground here in G'ville! About 2" !!!
lunarbishop said:
We got snow in GA!!!!!! :yikes LOL I'd say about 2 inches in the grass and on cars. I'm just worried about ice on the roads.....
I guess I had better send you southerners some of these!! :D

A friend of mine was over today and she told me that her family had some visitors from Florida and they could not get back home today. The flight was routed through Atlanta and the airport there is closed. Here in Cleveland, 2" is nothing at their airport.

Now this probably would be worthy of a state of emergency in the southern states.

This one was a good sized storm at around 20" when it was all said and done. Not the worst I experienced, but it probably is something GA would not be very well equipped to deal with.

Bekki, John, how are the drivers down there in that snow? Since a lot of vehicles there may run summer only tires all year around, I bet it was white-knuckle time for them on the roads.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
We have at least 6" here at my house in CT, and it's still snowing. All of our snow had melted before this.

My school called last night to cancel, which never happens -- they always wait until morning here. It was nice to sleep in instead of getting a 5AM wake-up call saying "no school today!"

I have so many birds visiting our feeders -- the usual juncos, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers, tree and purple sparrows, tufted titmice, nuthatches, chickadees, mourning doves, cardinals, blue jays and the flicker were all here, but today we also saw a huge number of red-winged blackbirds and some grackles :D Very cool to have some new visitors!

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there's probably 10" here maybe more and they extended the storm warning from noon till 3pm and said we'll still pick up some light accumulation through the evening. It had pretty much stopped late morning but now it's snowing pretty good again. I suspect we'll have over a foot before it's done.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still snowing like crazy here...

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here we go again....yesterday was almost 60 degrees, today is about 50. The foot of snow from last week is melting and the grass is peeking out again...

Tomorrow....4-6 inches of snow predicted!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I"m sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier. I drove around last Sunday while the snow was falling and starting to stick (mom needed some things) and most people were driving slower and attempting to be good. We had lots of minor accidents due to people following too closely. They shut schools on Monday because the over night temps had gotten into the 20s and the snow and slush on the roads froze. I don't think GA could handle 20" at all, cause we ended up with 5-6" and that was bad enough!

And yes a week from the snow, its now 61 degrees and headed to 75-77 before the day is over. Mother nature has gone insane!!!!!! I'm waiting for another cold blast either at the end of March or early April...Ya'll take care, I'll post pictures of the snow as soon as I can!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I wore turtlenacks and sweaters earlier this week.
My husband played golf in shortsleeves for his 7:45 AM teeoff. The highs are in the 80s for the next few days. Our Bradford Pear trees are in full bloom. The local Arboretum has started its Spring show this weekend.

Snow isn't really a problem in Dallas because lots of us have moved here from areas that do get snow. The problem we have is the snow hits the ground, melts and then turns to ice over night. Nobody can drive on it. And the sprinklers that run overnight.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do have to say that the 4-6 here tomorrow is more of an annoyance here than anything. Wouldn't surprise me if the schools don't even close. At the beginning of the season they definitely would, but they tend to become less cautious as the season goes on and the make up days are piling up. We've had quite a bit of snow this year plus many schools were shut down for 2-5 days (some even more) for that ice storm we had in December. So they're looking at a very late end to the school year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts