Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two approximately 6 month old kittens Kai and Dr. Stein.
I got my boys from the shelter 4 days ago. Doc adjusted VERY quickly to his new home and all visitors, and took to training us and claiming his sleeping spots the same day he moved in. Kai (who is approximately a month younger than Doc, kai being 5.5 months-ish and Doc 6.5 ish. ) took an extra day or two to venture through the house. Kai is fairly shy of being approached but doesnt mind a short scratch. he will snuggle on the couch/bed with us occasionally but i have to put him there or else he gets stalked and chased by the super smootchy super cuddly Doc.
They seem to get along well on the most part, but Kai seems to have a lot less fun when they play fight, although he does occasionally initiate.
What concerns me the most is that often instead of playing doc will instead mount Kai. At the moment if i catch them i just make a loud pssssssst noise and he will stop but should I be interfering in this? Doc always has the upper hand when they are fighting and i will interfere if that gets too intense too.
Both boys are desexed, microchipped and vaccinated and they also both have a cold Kai's is quite bad (he is on antibiotics) and Docs is very mild.
Im sorry if anything doesnt make sense i am very rushed in writing this as i have to go out,
Thanks
Rox

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
No experience with cats doing this, but I've read here that it's a dominance thing and it's normal. My twins wrestle like mean-boys and sometimes it seems to me to be getting out of hand and I'll distract them. But it's more for my comfort level than anything else. I don't see anything wrong with distracting them when it gets to be a bit much. I think they're still finding their way with each other and being boys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant help but wonder if Kai is being more submissive than he normally would because he is so ill?

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
It could be. My twinz take turns on who's the bully.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I don't usually recommend interfering in these play fights, even when there's mounting, which is a dominant action, unless there are bad scratches being inflicted or bad bites. But in this case because Kai is ill and not his normal self, I would be more protective of him untill he's over this illness and is fully back to a normal high energy. You will know if Kai is getting bullied or hurt too much, as he will start to avoid and try to hide from Dr. Stein, and will not engage in much play fighting. If he's does that then it's too much for him to handle right now.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
My tuxy is the alpa cat in the house. About once a week he would do the mounting thing to my other cat. It was a thing of "Im the one running the show". In this case it was a dominance thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there something I can do to help stop Doc from feeling like he has to assert his dominance so much? I am beginning to think I'm going to have to separate them and re-introduce (they weren't 'cellmates' at the shelter) once Kai is feeling better.
I am going shopping tomorrow to get some more toys, another 2 litterboxes (I caught doc attacking kai in the litter box I didnt realise they dont like sharing until today..oops rookie mistake :sad)

At least he isnt being too vicious... but he wasn't happy when i just gave little Kai a pat and chased him off biting at his legs :(

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
You sure don't want Doc attacking Kai in the litter box. That can lead to Kai doing his business somewhere else. Until Kai is fully recovered, I would separate them while you re out of the house and cannot closely supervise them. Doc does sound like he may be a jealous boy, so if you are giving Kai some loving and "pats", immediately do the same to Doc. If he's still showing jealousy by attacking Kai when he sees he's getting affection or attention, then reserve your loving on Kai in a separate room out of Doc's sight and hearing. Because Doc is older and likely bigger and more confident, he likely will be the dominant one. Hopefully by the time Kai and Doc reach their full maturity by about 1-1/2 years Kai will have caught up in size and strength and will stand up to Doc's bullying. Doc especially is in the bratty teenage stage, but should come out of it around a year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Minor update, spent a small fortune on cat things today... Oops! But most importantly got an extra litter tray, as soon as I filled it both boys jumped in and used it straight away (doc first, of course) so we will see how that goes. Haven't had any trouble yet but I would rather avoid problems than fix them!

Kai is beginning to come out of his shell just a little with us and with doc and he doesn't seem to be backing down as easily from Doc. I will be getting a cat tree tomorrow I'm pretty sure he will benefit from that alot. Kai is getting involved in playtime as well and even got so bold as to steal one of docs toys he was playing with. So I don't think I have too much to worry about with him. I think its just docs way of dealing with this scary new place as much as Kai's was to withdraw.

Im seeing progress every day, they are particularly affectionate and relaxed after play time. It's do nice to see them beginning to trust us =D

Next plan is to get them off this horrible all dry food diet! But that's off topic here :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sure don't want Doc attacking Kai in the litter box. .
I haven't seen it myself but he's not really attacking him so much as bugging him. Sometimes it seems like he's pushing him around and sometimes it seems that he just wants to play ALL the time and is really annoyed that Kai won't play too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How long ago were they fixed? If it has been within the last couple of weeks there may still be an elevated hormone level. If this is the problem it should decrease over the next few weeks. GL B

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long ago were they fixed? If it has been within the last couple of weeks there may still be an elevated hormone level. If this is the problem it should decrease over the next few weeks. GL B
oh thanks I didn't realise it took so long. It was only a week ago .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update!

Both boys are doing really well, Kai is much better and Doc is getting over his.... I still catch Doc mounting Kai occasionally but its not as bad as it was when Kai was sick. Both boys are chasing eachother up and down the hallway and wrestling enthusiastically now. They seem to be getting along quite well, which is good after such a stressful week!

I had a small panic today and called the vet when one of docs teeth fell out.. the reception lady sounded like she'd had that phone call oh so many times and told me that yes, its perfectly normal for a kitten to lose his baby teeth! :oops: how embarrassing! haha

I have two litterboxes now which works much better, but I will invest in another soon just because it will make a little less work for me... i knew I would be cleaning litterboxes but i never realised how much 2 kittens use them!!!

both the boys are full of cuddles and smootches and are sometimes so enthusiastic they will fall off the couch!!!

Thanks everyone for all your help (and in my cat flu posts on the other forum) it has certainly made the move much less stressful for both me and the boys

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Sounds like normal play behavior now...so glad to hear Kai is feeling better and standing up for himself and stealing toys! You might try distracting Doc if he's bothering Kai too much in the litter box, by throwing a toy or paper ball. They sound like they're going to be real buds. :2kitties

1 - 14 of 14 Posts