Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum, and, while I found some related posts, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I apologize if this has already been answered.

We took in a stray kitten 11 years ago and he has been with us ever since. I think he is a gray tabby. He is very sweet and affectionate. He frequently does something I would call "mounting." But I'm not talking about our female DSH or my arm or leg.

When I lie on my back, he climbs up on my chest. He usually then sits down and starts purring. He seems to like it if I pet him while he is doing it. He does it to other family members as well. (He has been neutered.)

Is it normal for a cat to do this? What does it mean? Is it a sign of dominance? Our other cat never does anything like this.

Note: I am neither a daddy nor from Indiana, but I just felt like I needed a cheesy pun for my username. :wink:

Thanks,
Hoosier Daddy

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This is called "holding down the humans." Cats have special little energy suckers in their paws, and use them to drain all of the energy out of your body so they can use it to play cup hockey at 3AM :D

Okay, I'll be serious. He's probably trying to be close to you for a few reasons...obviously, he's already trained you to pat him when he sits on your chest, so he knows there's a payoff there. Cat's do like to be higher up than anyone else, so it's a position that satisfied his instinct to be higher than everyone else (you, in this case). And, it's a great position for kneading (a behaviour that can persist from kittenhood, when kittens kneaded on their mother to get her milk to flow...he's not expecting milk, just getting a nice kittenhood-memory feeling).

Sounds like you've got a bona fide lap kitty, that's all :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I had a male grey tabby (RIP) that used to do that all the time. Indeed he was a lap cat. I have 2 female cats don't do that at all not affectionate like how my grey tabby was. I loved it and now I really, really miss that show of affection since he's gone. You will really like him on your chest to keep you warm during the winter!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MA said:
I had a male grey tabby (RIP) that used to do that all the time. Indeed he was a lap cat. I have 2 female cats don't do that at all not affectionate like how my grey tabby was. I loved it and now I really, really miss that show of affection since he's gone. You will really like him on your chest to keep you warm during the winter!
Oh yes definitely, if I sit with an electric blanket in the winter he will sit in my lap too. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never thought it was a problem... I just wondered if it was abnormal. I did have a little concern about him thinking he was dominant over me, but I'm sure he already thinks that anyway. :D

I love that cat very much. It makes me sad to think how old he is and how someday he might not be with us anymore. I love the other cat too even though we can't seem to "bond." She constantly makes whiny noises and doesn't show any affection at all.

Does anyone have a guess why there is such a difference in their personalities? Is it because one is a tabby and one is not? Or because one is male and one is female? Or are they just individuals who happen to be that way?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Hoosier Daddy said:
Does anyone have a guess why there is such a difference in their personalities? Is it because one is a tabby and one is not? Or because one is male and one is female? Or are they just individuals who happen to be that way?
While there are some commonalities between genders and breeds, every single cat is unique. :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
It doesn't sound like your cat is humping you on your chest, just lying on top of it purring like what my lil Twinkie does in the morning when he's in the mood. :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gudewife said:
This is called "holding down the humans." Cats have special little energy suckers in their paws, and use them to drain all of the energy out of your body so they can use it to play cup hockey at 3AM :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trust me, when he is truly "Humping", you will know it! This is just an affectionate kitty. Sit back and enjoy the lovin'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love it when my cat sits on my chest and then lies down. I can't even lie on the floor without him jumping on me! Even if I'm laying on my side, he finds a way to balance himself on my other side. It's very cute. :lol:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Skeeter does this occasionally. He's also a very affectionate kitty. When he's not playing, he's giving cuddles. He also gives us what I like to call "big hugs." If we are sitting with him purring in our laps, he'll look up as us with this big "I love you" eyes, and stand up to throw the front half of his body over one of our shoulders. If we support his bottom half, he'll stay there like that for 10-15 min. at a time. It makes me all hot, though, and my arm falls asleep from supporting his weight. But, he'll keep on purring and sometimes fall asleep.

Have you ever heard that old wive's tale about cats taking your breath away in your sleep? With your kitty, it sounds like he's doing that stereotypical move of cats where they cuddle up on your chest because they like the feeling of your heart beat and the gentle rise and fall of your chest as you breathe. Skeeter sometimes does this to me while I sleep. (Not so good in summer sweltering heat!) Enjoy your lap kitty!! Grey tabbies are the best! :p

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bailey does this too...he's so mushy and affectionate. (I love it). If I'm laying on the couch or on the bed, he's inevitably laying on top of me nose to nose, and I mean literally, there's like 5 inches between his nose and mine. He's just stare at me with his big blue eyes like he's the happiest cat in the world. Of course he get's plenty of petting and head scratches, which I'm sure is an alterior motive :wink:

Like turbokitty's cat, whether I'm on my side or on my stomach, he'll find a way to balance himself on top of me.

Callie, on the other hand, doesn't hop on top, but will curl up beside me instead.

sprat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts