Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh!

I got 5 mice to test out with Mak. They are young adults.

I put one infront of him at dinner... Sniffled and pawed at it, but not interested.
Then I decided maybe he needs to see the meat.. so I cut it in half. Nope.
Then I wondered maybe if it didn't smell "foody" enough... So I doused it in tuna juice. Nuh uh.
Okay, maybe it's not "familiar" enough... So I spread some wet food on it. Licked it all up, but no dice.

Finally I caved in after about 5 hours and gave him a tablespoon or so of wet food; enough to stop any hunger pains, but to ensure that he was very hungry in the morning. He chewed on the tail at breakfast but that's it.

Now I have half a mouse buried under some wet food for him (didn't have anything raw defrosted), soaked in tuna juice and nibbled on but otherwise alone and dejected.

Who knew he would put up such a fight!

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Don't give up. I wouldn't bury the mouse under canned food. Just try offering, say, 1/2 mouse (freeze the other half so you don't waste it) every 12 hours. Give him a while w/ it in privacy. If he doesn't eat it, give him a LITTLE canned food, and then nothing else until his next meal -- mouse again. Once he tries it he WILL love it (they pretty much all do). It's just very unfamiliar to cats raise on kibble or canned. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts