Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've just joined this forum and looking for some advice. I live in Bali so all the houses are open tropical houses and there is a real feral cat problem. I moved house about 3 months ago to a rental. Had to move as my lease was up and this was the only suitable place I could find. The landlady lives on site and I rent the smaller house. She has 3 cats, one elderly male and two mature females. I have one neutered male, about 2 years. He was a rescue cat and is normally very affectionate and human focussed. At my old house, he would only fight with unfixed males who came into his territory (to get food). He played well with the females in the compound. Keeping our cat in the new house was conditional - the landlady was worried about my cat getting along with the male. He got along just fine with the male cat (both fixed). The trouble is the mature females - they kept coming into our place and onto our porch and fights would result. Then my cat would encounter the older more aggressive female in the yard or on the walls, and a fight would ensure. We both keep spray guns and I always broke up the fight before it could escalate with water. Things seemed to be settling down - the other cats were staying away from our place and not coming in, the fights were diminishing to rare events. Then my cat started to go into the other house and trigger a confrontation with the female cats. i would take him out and he'd run right back to try to get into the landlady's house. He seems to want to interact with the female cats, but they react in a threatened way and aggression breaks out. This behaviour seems to be escalating not improving. I've tried keeping my cat inside - not possible in the tropics - and as soon as he gets out he heads to the other house. He seems to know he shouldn't be doing this, as I go over and call him and he comes and acts guilty, but won't stop. Any suggestions for how I can help to address this behaviour and get him to stop going into the other house? If I can't stop him, I have to re-home him - the landlady's cats have the rights, not mine.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
With such an "open tropical house", it's impossible for him to stay in his own property when he's determined to go after these mature females. The only thing I can think of would be to confine him to your house and to have him in a secure harness attached with a leash (maybe 6ft. long) that's attached to a heavy weight--perhaps a brick? The weight should be heavy enough that he can drag it around in your house, but heavy enough that he gets tired to drag or it's too difficult for him to drag it to your neighbour's yard. Take him out on the leash morning and evenig to walk around your property, and let him mark bushes/trees with urine if he wishes. Reward him with treats at the end of his walk. That may give him some satisfaction that he's "patrolling his territory", and possibly discourage other cats from coming on it. It's worth a try and you will have to judge how heavy the weight should be. If this frustrates him too much that he becomes aggressive, then you'll have to re-home him. Hope this may be a solution.....all the best, and would be nice to have an update.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts