Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted in a while. Had a major move and relocation for my job and home, been super busy.

I know I could've posted this in the health section, but wasn't sure so put it here...

Maxie and Lexie adjusted to the change extremely well it seems. They seem to like a bigger place and also love the basement and run around and play alot up and down the stairs. Hardwood floors upstairs so- they sound like a herd of elephants when they are running around up there, lol. It's cute and funny though.

I'm going to move the litter boxes to the basement, or plan to.. But I need to put in a cat door on the basement door though, as keeping it open would keep the house colder. So until then, I've got their litter boxes in the closet upstairs in the bedroom.

I've never had a problem with the kitties pooping where they shouldn't. (I'm reading all up on it also)

But what happened is one of them pooped on my old rug from the bathroom in my apartment which I had in the new bathroom too. ( I'm pretty sure it was Lexie) because it was smaller and firmer stools, and Maxie poops bigger and she's always had looser stools.)

Anyhow, I did the age-old trick of putting Lexie's nose by the poop and then bringing her to the litterbox.

I also moved that rug in front of their litter box, as it was older anyhow, and I thought it would be nice for them to jump out on when they are done going. And thought maybe moving it near the boxes may help or eliminate the problem.

Well, this morning on the same rug outside the litterbox there was some poop. This time I just threw out that rug. Also sprayed some Feliway in there, but I did that last time too. I'm hoping it was just something with that particular rug, I hope hope hope.

But I don't know yet if it's the rug or if there is something going with my cat(s). I know I have slacked a little on changing their litter boxes out. Usually it was every day, but I have skipped a day here or there. When I get the boxes in the basement, I plan to get 3 boxes for them.

I've looked and checked for fleas, checked their bums to see if they look ok, and things seem fine. Looked up info on all the worms, and seems to me they are fine. They are playful, eating, and seemingly in great health.
Of course I'm also worrying about a possible UTI.

I know I could go to the vet and have them checked out..but they are both indoor kitties and I've seriously spent more than an arm and a leg for their vet care with plans where I used to live and lost out when I moved. They don't have a Banfield where I moved, which really stinks as basically the full year plans I had for them are paid for and wasted. Driving 2 1/2 hours south to their old vet is not an option. Lexie can't stand the car ride anyhow.

So yes, I'm trying to save money, but yes I do care about their health more but I'm getting strapped big time. If push comes to shove, yes I'll bring them to the vet (closed today anyhow, or else I would called them) Huge costs in moving too, I was relocated unexepectedly for my job; I may also be laid off to part time :(

So I'm hoping to see if anyone here has any suggestions or ideas besides what I'm thinking of what is going on.

I checked for fleas and everything I could think of..but I was thinking of getting and over the counter dewormer just in case?

Does anyone know of a dewormer I can pick up at a kmart, walmart, etc that does the trick for any type of worm? If I remember correctly, dewormer never hurts the cats, so I was thinking just getting some (just in case)

And/or any other suggestions or ideas of what may be going would be so helpful. Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I found your post a little confusing, which is not a criticism...but I just want to make sure I have the facts straight. What I read was that one of your cats (likely Lexie) pooped on a rug once in your prior home. You now have 2 litter boxes in a closet in your new place, with the rug outside of the closet, and Lexie has now pooped (only once) on said rug, which you have since thrown away. Finally, you haven't always been diligent in cleaning the boxes.

It sounds to me like this might be a simple case of one or two isolated "accidents" that happened due to Lexie not being happy with cleanliness of the boxes and/or the smell. In your shoes, I'd try (a) cleaning the boxes regularly, and (b) moving the boxes out of the closet to a more open area, since the smell of the litter boxex (even if cleaned regularly) would be stronger in an enclosed area such as a closet, particularly to a cat that has a much more sensitive nose than you or I.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I found your post a little confusing, which is not a criticism...but I just want to make sure I have the facts straight. What I read was that one of your cats (likely Lexie) pooped on a rug once in your prior home. You now have 2 litter boxes in a closet in your new place, with the rug outside of the closet, and Lexie has now pooped (only once) on said rug, which you have since thrown away. Finally, you haven't always been diligent in cleaning the boxes.

It sounds to me like this might be a simple case of one or two isolated "accidents" that happened due to Lexie not being happy with cleanliness of the boxes and/or the smell. In your shoes, I'd try (a) cleaning the boxes regularly, and (b) moving the boxes out of the closet to a more open area, since the smell of the litter boxex (even if cleaned regularly) would be stronger in an enclosed area such as a closet, particularly to a cat that has a much more sensitive nose than you or I.

I appreciate the help so much... thank you...no problem or offense taken at all. Yes as I read it, it is confusing, sorry about that!

But no, both the pooping incidents have been at the same new place. The first time the rug was in the bathroom. (I just put my old rugs up from my old place there until I get new rugs) And then I moved that rug and put it in front of the litter boxes. So the litter boxes were right there, and still a poop a 2nd time.

Yeah,wow, never thought they may feel confined in the closet. I mean where I used to have them in my old apartment was in the actual room, not the closet. Thing is, the closet is pretty big, and even has a window in it. But yeah, its smaller and things changed up. Thank you very much tho, never thought of that.

I'm having my brother help me install the cat door hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. In that case I'll be relocating the litter boxes to the basement. (hope that goes well!)

Yes definitely need to keep better every day with the litter boxes. It could be the problem, but that blows me away. It's not like they are stuffed with kitty poo or pee or anything. But then again, Lexie is more picky than Maxie. LOL, Lexie will sometimes turn her nose up at canned food, she'll also "paw" at her food like it's poop or something sometimes.

Maxie will eat her food and never complain, lol.

But thank you so much. You're so helpful here. I'm hoping the litter boxes in the basement (in the open) will help tons.

Hope its not too cold down there for them though! But they seem to like when I open the door down there..so I'm hoping it goes well when I get that cat door in and a 3rd litter box. Maybe I'll get one large open litter box too to see if they like that better, not sure.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
When you put the litter box(es) down the basement, were you planning to also keep the one in the closet? If so, that's fine, but if you were planning to remove the boxes in the closet (so the ones in the basement are their only boxes), I would do that slowly. That is, leave at least one box in the closet (or a surrounding open area) until the cats get used to using the box(es) in the basement. Once they're used to going in the basement, then you can try removing the one in the closet (or surrounding area) and see if all goes well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you put the litter box(es) down the basement, were you planning to also keep the one in the closet? If so, that's fine, but if you were planning to remove the boxes in the closet (so the ones in the basement are their only boxes), I would do that slowly. That is, leave at least one box in the closet (or a surrounding open area) until the cats get used to using the box(es) in the basement. Once they're used to going in the basement, then you can try removing the one in the closet (or surrounding area) and see if all goes well.
Thats a great idea also, thank you.

Yes, I should do definately do that also. One box in the closet will free up more space too. Or yes, if I move it to the room instead..but I need to rearrange things..(hard to explain). Not entirely sure if I should put the new third litter box in the closet, or surrounding area once I move things and their usual ones in the basement, but I think I'll try that.

See, with the closet, it's an open walk in one...it could be the problem..but not sure. It's weird she did it on the same rug. (eeek also!) I'll have to see what happens.

This is so helpful. Blessings to you and your beautiful kitties :) Thank you :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts