Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

I've just moved to a new apartment. Place is bigger than the old one. My two younger boys, Chikis (7 months old) and Rulos (about to be 3 m.o.) are adapting perfectly. Chikis seems a little bit anxious but fine. Rulos is the perfect example of that saying "ignorance is bliss". He has no idea about anything, and he's as happy as he was in the other apartment. Maybe happier 'cause there's a lot of cardboard boxes to play with.

But Gatito is not having a good time. He cries all night. First night I got up to comfort him but he continued crying. I know I shouldn't have done that 'cause I'm conditioning his behavior (I cry= mom or dad come), but what else could I've done? I was worried about him, worried about trouble with the new neighbors and very, very tired and sleepy after moving in (so not thinking straight).
4 nights have passed and he has cried all of them. And we have ended up getting up to check him. Eventually he comes to bed with us and falls asleep (or we fall asleep before he stops crying).
I just don't know what to do anymore.

I thought did all I could: Feliway, some of my used clothing around the apartment, same dishes and food, same water filter, same toys. Can't do anything about new sounds and scents...a friend suggested to use some tranquilizer (Acepromazine) but I hate the idea of drugging him. He's a very nervous cat.

What to do....just wait? (I really could use some sleep, and I'm very nervous about neighbors complaining, I've just arrived here!)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you have the space, I would set up a kitty "safe room" for the time being. I think he may be upset that he doesn't know his way around that well and feels unsafe because of this. I would let him out of the room while you are home but put him and the kittens in the safe room (where they know were the litter box, food and water are) when you are away.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some pics :)

Chikis and Rulos being best buddies, not worrying about the new place at all. Rulos has gotten very big!

Gatito under the bed, poor baby :(

then, he got out and I took this pic

I hope tonight's better. And tomorrow I'll leave them all inside my bedroom when I leave.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Try a hot water bottle with a towel around it for Gatito to snuggle with just before you go to bed. If you can confine all the cats to another room, it would work out better.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Why does he cry at night and not during the day?

Is the possibility of a health issue ruled out?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I took'em all to a full checkup before moving. They were all fine (Rulos is taking antibiotics for his URI) However, I'm taking Gatito to a different place for more exams soon.

He never cried at night before, except of course when Sun died, 5 months ago. So I'm pretty sure it is stress. It seems to me that he used to go and sit in his favorite spot at approximately 3 or 4 am in the old apartment (a nice place where he had a view of the outside, with some fresh air) and that's why he's crying, being the creature of habits he is (specially Gatito, my grumpy baby). Also he's a very sensitive kitty, he specially resents changes, and he has had some bad experiences lately (Sun's death led to depression with loss of appetite and the sort). I'm so sorry I have to put him through this now! :(

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Sounds like a new favorite spot will do wonders. Do you have a place by a window in this apt.? When Prince is stressed, he goes to his "safe place", which he chose himself when he first came to live with me. It's a small, low, round coffee table that happens to be against the wall and has a tablecloth that reaches down to the floor.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another sleepless night :( 3 am again, he was howling this time.

I tried the water bottle but he didn't want it. Right now (6 am) he's playing and crying at the same time right in front of my eyes.

Well I just ran outta ideas. I guess I just have to wait. Today I'll try feeding them right before I go to bed, or will that disturb him even more? (change of habits).

Don't worry Sinatra, you see how Chikis and Rulos are perfectly fine? It is just Gatito, he's a special kitty...

I have to get up in 20 minutes to go to work :dis

·
Registered
801 Posts
Did you try that safe room idea? It sounds like a good one. Or (though it sounds horrid) sleeping on the floor next to him in a small bedroom/bathroom. So he knows you are right there all night long. (I've done it before.. X__X)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have left them all inside one room with water food and litter box. I'll be back home at about 8 pm.
Chikis and Rulos were not really happy about staying inside that room. They already know their way around the new apartment and seem very happy with all the cardboard boxes and general mess I have.

When I come back, what do you think is a better idea? These are my options:

-Letting them all sleep with me in my bedroom, with all doors opened in case they want to go around. That's what I've been doing, and they all sleep happily until 3 am when Gatito gets up, goes to the living room and starts crying.

-Putting all 3 inside the "safe room" and make them sleep there. My bedroom is right beside that room. I know Rulos and Chikis won't like it (they're used to sleep with me).

-Making them all 3 sleep with me with the door closed, including food and water and litter box. Not a nice prospect, but I'm ready to do whatever needs to be done.

I can't separate them, 'cause: Chikis depends on Gatito. He gets desperate if he doesn't see him. Chikis takes care of Rulos, and Rulos can't live without Chikis. Gatito feels lonely if he doesn't see Chikis and Rulos playing around (he's the "observer" cat).

At least tomorrow I don't have to get up early.

Thank you for your ideas!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts