Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just given the go-ahead by my landlord to bring my kitties to my new apartment, yay!! They are currently at my Mom's house, where they have lived all their lives.

Profiles of cats:

Phoebe: 4 year old rascal, no previous urinating problems. She'll be freaked out at first, but will adapt quicker.

Milo: 10 year old very skittish cat, has had problems with urinating on beds. Loves me most and will only allow me to pet her, most of the time. Not sure how she will react.

So my plan was to bring Phoebe first, have her get comfortable, and once she's settled I'd bring Milo.

But now that I've been reading about moving cats, it seems like it's a good idea to have the same litter box and food dishes at the new home, because they are familiar. If I were to bring Phoebe over first, I would have to buy a new litter box and keep the old one at home for Milo. I would bring the old one along with Milo, to make her feel more comfortable.

I'm just not sure how Milo will adapt to the change, and I definitely don't want her to pee anywhere! The place is mostly hardwood, but I do have a nice rug I don't want ruined!!

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!
-piano

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
It sounds like you're talking about bringing them over several days to a week or two apart...is that right? I wouldn't do that. You'll then be dealing with separation issues in addition to the new home. And then, because Phoebe will have declared the new apartment as hers, when you bring in Milo you could very well need to do a re-introduction. Bring them over together, I think it will be easiest transition.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, thanks doodlebug. They aren't snuggle buddies or anything but they do kind of hang around each other. So, you're right I should move them in at the same time. I have four days off coming up so I think I'll do it then, that way I'll be home most of the time.

I just worry about Milo peeing anywhere!! Any suggestions on that one?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I was also worried about that when I moved my 4 to this new house. Jitzu's had a bad history of peeing on things that didn't smell like 'home'.

I moved all 4 into one room in the house that I had sprayed with a hormonal relaxant for cats (similar to feliway). I also used rescue remedy in their food for the first few days.

After a few days I let one cat out, Torri. I had hoped that if the house smelled like her Jitzu would stop bullying her...worked for a week or so *sighs*

After another few days of Torri being out I let the boys out days and put them away for the nights (jitzu got lonely, and we still had boxes I didn't trust the boys with unsupervised.)

After a few more days I let Jitzu out. Since she was a clingon by then I just walked through the house with her showing her where the boxes were. And since the house laready smelt like me, scott, and the other cats we did it with no marking...YAY!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts