Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Life has been good to all of us here, Modra grew up fully, she's nowadays a very spoiled and confident cat. Sheila, neighbour's cat decided that our house is nicer to live in and apparently Modra doesn't have too many things against the idea, although every now and then she chases her around the armchairs just to show her who is the boss. More than often they actually play when they chase each other, they never injure one another while playing the tough girls. Sheila sleeps and eats in our house. We've worked out an agreement with her owner, he contributes to the food and we look after her when he's not around, he's very little around due to some issues with his old mother.

But my husband and I need to move because of our jobs. The trip to the place we are going is taking at least 12 hours by plane and there are a few stops on the way. Needless to say how many things are required for such an adventure, from anti-rabies vaccination (New Zealand is a rabies free country so the vaccine needs to be specially imported from the MAF, it's a restricted item) to pet transportation company. Naturally, I'm taking Modra with us so I've arranged whatever needed to be arranged for this trip. The entire thing proves to be quite dear, but whatever, I love my little ball of fluff.

The question is: should I try to take Sheila as well? I feel guilty to leave her behind, she loves me very much and she gets along so well with my Modra. The problem, besides the financial issue, is that Sheila is about 8 years old now and she has at least a precondition that I know about. She had an accident as a kitten, her owner doesn't know exactly what sorts of accident, he got her from the SPCA already disabled. Her skull is deformed reason why she can't close an eye at all, I'm not sure she can see with that eye either. Her hind legs are slim and curved towards the belly and the lower part of the back seems stiff, as if the vertebrae joined together. On top of it she has an ancient weight problem. Since we look after her, she actually looks much slimmer than when we moved here, but she still has a fat tummy hanging down. Under these circumstances I'm worried she might not take the trip very well so I'm almost 100% sure leaving her in the care of her owner is best. He assured me he'd take her to his mom's place if we left, thus being able to look after her properly.
Despite this, I feel very sad and I wonder how will she put up with the "abandon", can this fact alone cause her health issues? I'm worried that Modra might feel sad too missing her buddy and sparing companion. What should I do? Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would try to take her with you if possible. It sounds like physically and emotionally she is really more your cat than your neighbors. I would think both cats would go through a grieving process if separated. Can you take her to a vet and ask them what they think, on how the long trip would effect her? Maybe they can prescribe something to make the long trip more tolerable. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
From your description of everything, I would agree it would be better to try to take her with you. That's a really tough decision, though, about whether she'd be hearty enough to survive the trip. Although 1 thing going for her is that she HAS survived this long even with the disabilities she already has. proof that she's 1 tough cookie! A vet opinion on it might make you feel.more comfortable making the final decision.

You're a really good cat lover to be concerned about her health like that. I wish you luck and a safe trip . Hopefully the cats can stay together. Doesn't sound like the neighbor would be able to give the love and attention she needs

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much guys. Yeah, I want to take her to the vet anyway for her annual vaccination. She's very sweet and I love her very much, she's a clumsy, funny, fat ball of fluff. She still goes to the neighbour when he comes home, especially if he puts the fire on in his place and he loves her too, which is another part of the trouble (he has 2 kids and she is like a sort of living toy for them) but with all the issues involving his mother, his busy work, etc. I'm concerned about the time and energy left in him for poor old Sheila. The kids live mostly with their mother so they won't be much around for her anyway and his mother has a tom-cat as well and as I know Sheila, she always gets bashed by other cats, being smaller and disabled as she is. I'll try to do as best as I can and take her with us. If the vet advises me against taking this long trip, I'll have to leave her behind, but I'll sort out something for her with the neighbour. I'm not leaving her unless I'm sure she'll be well looked after.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.