Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Next weekend, I will be traveling 1,400 miles with three cats. They will be in my car, while my fiance and a friend will be driving the moving truck (and going a lot slower!).

I have three separate carriers (I've already left them in one of the rooms for them to get used to them this week, and plan on taking each of them on short trips this week). I also plan on putting their favorite toys/blankets in the carrier with them.

We will be stopping about 12 hours/halfway overnight at a Red Roof Inn (15% off this month when staying with pets!).

Here are my questions:

• I have a script from the vet for diazepam and a sleep aid. Which is better? They said I could use one or the other, and also mentioned other natural products. Are there natural products that people have used in the past that work just as well?
  • Do you ever let them out of the carrier during travel?
  • What if I need to stop and use the bathroom? Will they be okay by themselves for a few moments?
  • Should I give them water or food throughout the day? What about the litter box?
Any suggestions that people have who have traveled with cats long distance is greatly appreciated!

· Registered
8,949 Posts
My ex husband and I moved from NJ to Oregon years ago with his cat and two dogs. We had the cat in a large dog crate with food/water/litterbox. We stopped each night after about 8 hours of driving and set him up a litterbox in the hotel room.

We did NOT let him out during the ride. I felt it was too risky to open any doors to try and catch him/wrangle him up again. He wasn't drugged. Each morning he would cry for the first half hour or so and then settle down for the ride.

If we stopped for bathroom one of us stayed with the car but if I had been alone it would have been fine for a pit stop. We only ate take out that we could eat in the car so they weren't left alone for any length of time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.