Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I mentioned this issue on a previous thread but thought I would actually seek advice in a separate post.

On Friday we get the keys to our new home (yay!) When we had previously viewed the property, it was clear the owners had a cat.

Whilst excited, I'm also conscious about Cleo and the impact of moving to a new home which smells of another cat will have on her. Our plan in to get in and give the place a good clean before moving everything in. We will keep Cleo in the spare room until she has gotten used to the new smells and the craziness of a change of home etc but I'm seeking advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation - is there any way we can make things easier on our furbaby? What can I expect her behaviour to be like? I'm anticipating perhaps hiding/ crying but she is a pretty tough kitten. Any words of wisdom? Thank you!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
She is probably going to be scared no matter what. EVERYTHING about the house will be strange to her. Be sure and check all the window screens for holes. You could try spraying Febreze around too. That should neutralize any lingering odors but it just may be a matter of time before she gets settled in. The first thing I do when we move is set up our bedroom so we have comfortable retreat from the pandemonium.

I would set up familiar things like your bed/bedding or maybe a couch or favorite chair in a safe room with litter box, food bowl and water dish. You could also put a Fel-I-way plug in in that room - avail form Petsmart or Petco. (Controls anxiety). If she is a kitten she will adapt more easily. I think this will go better then you think. Just be sure to secure all the doors and windows in her room.

Congratulations on your new home!! This is exciting for you I know!

·
Registered
834 Posts
When we moved with Miss Effie and Mme Coco last year the first thing I did before we moved in and brought them over from the motel was to set up their room with their furniture, a Feliway plug in etc. They went straight into their room and stayed with lots of visits etc until the chaos of settling in over the first two weeks eased. Then I'd let them out in the evening when things were quiet and we were hanging out in the lounge so that they could start exploring the house and getting their bearings. We gradually extended their out of room time over the next week or so until they had free range of the house. This worked out really well for us.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I would get a "black UV light" and go over the baseboards, corners etc. for any sign of urine and clean it up thoroughly with an enzyme-type cleaner.
Amazon.com: light cat urine

If she smells urine, she may want to "mark" areas other than her litter box. To be on the safe side, I would also sprinkle some of "Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter" on top of her regular stuff. You don't want to give her any excuse to do her business anywhere except her litter box. She may find urine spots that you miss by doing the "flehmen response"....where she sniffs at something then opens her mouth with eyes usually half closed. If you see her doing that, mark the spot and then clean it with an enzyme cleaner. Keeping her in one room until you have the house fairly organized is a good idea. Then furniture with her scent on it is familiar to her. Check out the video of the cat.

Funny Cat Face – Flehmen Response

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all- some really helpful suggestions. I will definitely be putting her in one room until she is settled and will get a feliway diffuser- we used one to settle her when we first got her and it seemed to help. Tomorrow when we get the keys, we are planning on going to the house and giving it a good clean. Will also look in to strategies to help her feel easier if the other cat has marked her territory.

Thank you so much, some great ideas!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts